Proven by history: better arms in the hands of citizens, than with state security

PDA

Oleg Volk
October 21, 2006, 04:16 AM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/16796-2/legalize3060.jpg

For the Russian efforts to legalize ownership and carry of handguns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Proven by history: better arms in the hands of citizens, than with state security" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Third_Rail
October 21, 2006, 04:42 AM
I do hope that more countries legalize carrying of arms. Good poster.

G36-UK
October 21, 2006, 12:20 PM
Oleg, in the (admittedly unlikely) scenario that the UK gun groups campaign to get our rights back, would you be able to do a few UK based pro-gun posters?

Oleg Volk
October 21, 2006, 01:41 PM
Yes, G36-UK, I would help.

armoredman
October 21, 2006, 04:53 PM
Nice work, sir, but one question - what's the historical connection with the broomhandle? Why not a Mak, Tok, or Nagant revolver?
All in all, nice photography. I really have to go learn Russian!

Oleg Volk
October 21, 2006, 05:06 PM
There's a Russian expression, from Majakovski's words: "And now, a word from Comrade Mauser." Mausers were one of the archtypal Soviet guns, as much as Nagants.

Outlaws
October 21, 2006, 05:06 PM
Nice work, sir, but one question - what's the historical connection with the broomhandle? Why not a Mak, Tok, or Nagant revolver?
All in all, nice photography. I really have to go learn Russian!

Less "evil" than an AK I suppose? :D

Good work. Hope it pays off.

Oleg Volk
October 21, 2006, 05:07 PM
The current Russian push is for legalizing handguns. Rifles are already somewhat legal, just restricted (have to own a smoothbore for five years before rifles are allowed.)

AJ Dual
October 21, 2006, 05:07 PM
It probably has some extra meaning within the Russian/Ex-Soviet gestalt, or so I would guess. The Mauser "broomhandle" was very popular with the Bolsheveks during the revolution.

In fact, the short-barreled variant of the Mauser that was most popular in Russia back then is called the "Bolo" after them.

So was it just a happy accident?

TallPine
October 22, 2006, 11:24 AM
Eadar-theangachadh, mas e do thoil e ...? ;)

armoredman
October 22, 2006, 11:57 AM
Ah, I see, thank you! I would like to see the Russian firearms industry look at making more firearms for civilians, as there is a LOT of ingenuity over there!

Zen21Tao
October 22, 2006, 01:01 PM
Great poster. This makes my 2 semesters of Russian in College worth taking.

G36-UK
October 22, 2006, 02:20 PM
The current Russian push is for legalizing handguns.
Ahh, I see.

Quite an interesting picture.

If you enjoyed reading about "Proven by history: better arms in the hands of citizens, than with state security" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!