NRA's "Gun Club"

PDA

45Guy
October 21, 2006, 11:58 PM
I just rented the NRA's new videogame called "Gun Club." It isn't too bad of a game, you play a bunch of different games, must qualify to advance through stages. Offers over 100 firearms. Very nice, no music, and tells safety rules on loading screen. Would be great to teach kids with without having to worry about anything. Plus, it's fun when the weather doesn't cooperate.

Check it out, it ain't half bad.

Note: I'm not even an NRA member yet, so this is unbiased.

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA's "Gun Club"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SoCalShooter
October 21, 2006, 11:59 PM
Link?

real_name
October 22, 2006, 12:14 AM
NRA Gun Club PS2 (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/gunclub/index.html)

It's a good simulation, no replacement for range time but a very good way to introduce younger kids to shooting and gun safety. There is zero violence, zero blood. It concentrates on marksmanship, It really stands out as a unique option amongst videogames. For example, every time there is a load screen the screen displays gun safety information (the four rules).
This really is a good, responsible game to buy a kid you know this Christmas.
It's $20.

http://www.gamerankings.com/screens5/932902/1.jpg

Incidently, on the gaming forums (yes, I play videogames, I have since about 1980, they relax me) some of the kids are bemoaning this game for not having violence and blood, for being realistic. Gamer kids hate Hillary Clinton as she is anti-violent games and has threatened to ban them. So the notion has evolved that this game was created by Hillary.
That's right, a game called NRA Gun Club is believed to be the work of Hillary. Tsk, kids these days.

SoCalShooter
October 22, 2006, 12:21 AM
Lame its only on PS2, looks decent and fun.

MatthewVanitas
October 22, 2006, 12:22 AM
@ real_name:

In case we get bored, can you post a link to gamer threads accusing Hillary Clinton of designing this game? Gamer threads are oft good for a larf.

-MV

real_name
October 22, 2006, 12:29 AM
Matt, no problem here are a few quotes, and links.

I can't find the Hillary quote but I found one similar, and another that was equally contentious.
Things get deleted pretty fast there.

This is sick!!

No, I'm not speaking out against the mechanics of the game itself, but rather the message and politics behind it.

Think about this: the game is sponsored by "NRA", which effectively means that the game is made to promote guns. Why would anyone in their right mind do that? Especially when you take into account that the game is targeted to teens and young adults. Seeing as how the highest rating this game is likely to get is "T" I can see NRA members buying this game for their kids. Boy, do they want to get them while they are young or what?

Here's the deal: this game is like a "wolf in sheep's clothes". By having non-living targets this game avoids being labeled as violent. However, the guns (the most important element) are still the same and you still end up shooting things. Why would National Rifle Association go out of their way to invest money into a game that is essentially about target practicing? Is it to promote the sport? Don't be ridiculous, that's not what they are all about. I dare you to come up with an explanation that doesn't involve propaganda.

Make no mistake, I'm not some naive anti-game violence hippy. In fact, it is the fact that this game is "nonviolent" that makes me angry. I'm nt even going to mention all the recent school shootings. My agenda here is not to spread liberal propaganda but to acknowledge the existing sick and shameless propaganda of NRA.

For shame!

There is probably some wannabe hillary c:Plinton freak that runs this gaming company...

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=932902

TrapperReady
October 22, 2006, 12:43 AM
A couple months ago, I was at Sportsman's Warehouse and noticed that they had a copy of the "NRA Highpower Competition (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=914140)" game. It looked kind of interesting. However, I noticed that it had a rating which stated "Mild Violence".

:rolleyes:

Yup. Using a virtual rifle to put virtual holes in virtual paper is now considered to be violent. My dad was born in 1922 and his prize possession as a child was a BB gun which would accept an honest-to-God metal bayonet.

Now we ban "tag" and "contact games" on the playground because kids might hurt themselves, and guns which don't even exist are "violent".

:barf:

Lucky
November 4, 2006, 03:09 PM
How do those light-guns work?

G36-UK
November 4, 2006, 07:49 PM
It depends, really. Some are different. Here's a description from one of the Time Crisis 2 Arcade FAQs, which should use the same tech as the GunCon 2 series (given that TC2 is what the G-Con2 was intended for):

...The procedures for the gun is simple:
A chip stores a huge portion of the image inside the lens, and then the
lens "reads" the screen one pixel at a time, thus waiving the need to
rely on the same-old infrared sighting that most light gun games use.

As you move the gun's lens to other places within the screen, the chip
reads a new portion of the image, so everytime the image changes, the
chip changes the image, keeping the image fresh, and keeping the accuracy
from pixel-to-pixel high.

TC2 also had "realistic" recoiling slides on the guns (which were really strange when you picked up the machinegun on Stage 1).

Some of the older games like Gunblade and L.A. Machineguns use positional guns, which are pretty much advanced gun-shaped joysticks.

Lucky
November 4, 2006, 08:18 PM
Oh that is cool then, so person could pick up this NRA game, and practice shooting at a projection TV?

Outlaws
November 4, 2006, 08:29 PM
Oh that is cool then, so person could pick up this NRA game, and practice shooting at a projection TV?

Only if the games box says it supports a gun peripheral.

G36-UK
November 4, 2006, 09:17 PM
Only if the games box says it supports a gun peripheral.

What he said.

One of the more entertaining things with the console lightguns are their add-ons. There's a lightgun called the Scorpion 3 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scorpion-Light-Gun-50-100Hz-Gcon2-Targeting/dp/B00008GEUV/sr=1-24/qid=1162689214/ref=sr_1_24/202-7520534-6943056?ie=UTF8&s=videogames), which looks like a Glock or a Sigma with a laser sight. The predecessor Scorpion 2, resembled a PPK.

There's also the Sharp Shooter 2 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharp-Shooter-100HZ-Compatible-sight/dp/B00006ZS8P/sr=1-116/qid=1162689312/ref=sr_1_116/202-7520534-6943056?ie=UTF8&s=videogames), which has a "red-dot" sight on it. I've seen these for about 10 in the local Cash Convertors (kind of a pawn shop equivalent), so I might buy one and see if they're any good.

I personally have one of these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nubytech-Sniper-Rifle-PS2/dp/B000CDHOM2/sr=1-11/qid=1162689202/ref=sr_1_11/202-7520534-6943056?ie=UTF8&s=videogames).

real_name
November 4, 2006, 09:30 PM
I've seen these for about 10 in the local Cash Convertors

You just gave me a terrible flashback of living in Hackney and having to try and relocate my guitars/decks/etc after some enterprising young men kicked in my front door in broad daylight while I was at work and made off with the lot.
British pawn shops, they're dodgier than Micheal Barrymore's party tricks.

biglew74
November 6, 2006, 10:54 PM
Yes the game is good i bought it online a few days ago but I cannot hit the targets I allways missed left but even if I am 30 degrees to the right of target I still get a missed left msg.
Have emailed the developers and no reply very slack of them.
Cheers from OZ.

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA's "Gun Club"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!