taurus 24/7 OSS (Taurus's Army gun entry)

PDA

ssteven1
October 22, 2006, 01:34 PM
Taurus has just put a new 24/7 pistol on their website. It is called the 24/7 oss. It aparently was developed for the new army hand gun compition. It has a long slide. ambi saftey with decocker. You can carry cocked and locked or decocked. It also has beefed up internals like a stainless recoil spring rob and a heavy duty barrell. It also appears to have no rubber overmolding grip but plastic like the 24/7 45 acp.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=508&category=Pistol

This gun excites me. I have had a love hate relationship with the 24/7. I have had a 24/7 dao 45 acp and the sa/da 45 acp. I sold both of them because of the jamming issues with the 45s. The rubber grip of the 9 or 40 did not feel right to me (the 9 and 40 does not seem to have the jamming issue). I hope taurus gets it right this time. The 24/7 sa was one of the best shooting guns I have ever shot, if I can get one that it 100% reliable I would keep it for ever.

If you enjoyed reading about "taurus 24/7 OSS (Taurus's Army gun entry)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
E5
October 22, 2006, 03:42 PM
That's an interesting gun. Don't care for the tan frame, but it looks great otherwise.

nero45acp
October 22, 2006, 04:15 PM
Looks interesting. I'd like to handle one when they're available. However, I'd wait until they were on the market for awhile to see what kind of owner reviews/reports they were getting before buying one myself.

nero

10-Ring
October 22, 2006, 04:19 PM
Since the military trials for the M9 replacement have been discontinued, it may be an exercise in futility to market a new gun as a contender. Plus, I thought the military was looking for a 45 acp that was hammer fired not striker fired.
As another choice in the market, it does look like it may be a value packed pistol that might have alot of appeal for many shooters.

cedjunior
October 22, 2006, 04:29 PM
Looks similar to this gun at Buds Gun Shop

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/17293.jpg

.357 magnum
October 22, 2006, 04:30 PM
I have two 24/7 currently. They are the newer sa/da models. Honestly Taurus is rockin when it come to these 24/7. I have a little over 3000 rounds thru one and a little over 1200 thru the other. Never a problem, misfeed anything that resembles a problem. I feed them everything. Good combat accuracy. The BEST grip I have ever had on an auto. I have two .40's I am a big .45 fan also. I will be getting one of each caliber when they come out. [.40 and .45] I think Taurus has done their research here. I wish they would ditch the brown grip [black or green would be nice!]

thegriz
May 7, 2007, 07:30 PM
Has anybody heard whether this is available to the public yet? If so, where can it be purchased?

Caimlas
May 7, 2007, 08:37 PM
cedjunior - What gun is that?! I don't see it on Taurus's site...

wally
May 7, 2007, 08:52 PM
The photo shows the 24/7 long slide, not sure of its exact name. I've seen them at shows in .40S&W for about $50 more than the regular model. I'd have got one if it was in 9mm or .45.

It lacks the decocker and ambi safety of the model ssteven1 is talking about.

--wally.

kirkcdl
May 7, 2007, 09:47 PM
SSteven1,all you need to do is remove a little of the front of the mag body.It's straight across where the bullet nose touches,just dremel a semi-circular edge instead of straight.About 1/8" at the center will stop your nosediving issue...

Ala Dan
May 7, 2007, 09:48 PM
Bud's Gun Shop is lucky too have one, as we have been waiting for a long
period of time for the new Taurus 24/7 OSS; with customers establishing a
long waiting list to be the first on their block to have one~! ;) :D

BrennanKG
May 7, 2007, 10:22 PM
I just read an article on this. Despite my long-standing dislike for striker fired handguns I have to admit it looks very promising. While I'd still be more inclined toward the as of yet unreleased FNP45, I'm definitely going to take a closer look at the 24/7 OSS when the opportunity presents itself.

B.

schmeky
May 7, 2007, 10:39 PM
Uhg-a-ly :barf:

Silent Bob
May 8, 2007, 10:13 AM
To me it looks like the HK45's inbred cousin.

kellyj00
May 8, 2007, 10:53 AM
the 24/7 is about the only pistol I would say is ugly enough that I wouldn't buy it.

I've never shot one.

Jim Watson
May 8, 2007, 11:23 AM
I handled them at SHOT and thought the grip comfortable.
I would like to be able to shoot one; I have never done as well with a Glock as some people and the XD and Plastic M&P are no help. But the OSS can be had in single action; the NRA had one with a 3 lb trigger pull. Hmmm.

WeThePeople
May 8, 2007, 11:26 AM
I just read a review in Guns & Ammo on the 24/7. It really sounds like a great gun. The title said that it was a 60,000 round test. They buried it, drowned it, and drove over it with a pick-up truck without misfires. I knda like the tan!

I am interested in getting one as well. BUT, my PT145 has been at Taurus since March without any work having yet been done for a failure that seems to be related to a poor quality recoil spring. I will need to put quite a few rounds through this gun before I buy another automatic Taurus.

Joe D
May 8, 2007, 11:48 AM
Don't think they will be out until this fall. Is the frame insert aluminum or steel?

Red Dobe
May 12, 2007, 02:23 PM
Does anyone know what the stock trigger pull weight is on the .45 version of the OSS?

thegriz
May 16, 2007, 12:08 PM
The Taurus 24/7 OSS is featured in the American Rifleman magazine. I just got my issue today. It's still not available for sale as far as I can tell.

Walkalong
May 16, 2007, 12:24 PM
I do not care for the grip of the 24/7's in 9MM & .40, but the .45 grip was real nice in my hand. The triggers on the ones I tried varied, but a couple of them were very nice. :)

kir_kenix
May 16, 2007, 12:55 PM
i cant wait to get one either. we bought the 24/7 9mm in january and it is a great gun. i wish i would have bought the long slide version now that i look back on it, tho. i actually like the "ribber" grip, even though from what i understand the oss does not have the grips.

skywalkrNCSU
May 16, 2007, 01:18 PM
i am really excited about this one....i want to pick one up in .40 if i can get some money haha

Man With A Gun
May 16, 2007, 04:09 PM
WHAT IS GOING ON WITH TAURAUS? They once were the junk kings of Satruday Night Specials and now they are produccing quality pstols and going for the ARMY pistol conract...:evil:

JaxNovice
May 16, 2007, 10:18 PM
Here is the guns and ammo article on the OSS.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/trialsoss_042607/

Hypnogator
May 17, 2007, 01:27 AM
Now if Taurus will just put that trigger system on a PT-145 Millennium Pro! :cool: :cool: :cool:

JaxNovice
May 17, 2007, 09:04 AM
Am I nuts or are the new OSS Taurus Pistols being sold here?

http://www.sportingarms.com/results.asp?mfr_name=0&category_descr=0&subcategory_descr=22&keyword_descr=&max_price=&sale_only=&page_no=18

usp9
May 17, 2007, 09:27 AM
10-RING said;
Since the military trials for the M9 replacement have been discontinued, it may be an exercise in futility to market a new gun as a contender. Plus, I thought the military was looking for a 45 acp that was hammer fired not striker fired.

The Taurus is stricker fired, however they have a second strike ability. I believe that is the requirement...not just hammer initiated fire.

HorseSoldier
May 17, 2007, 03:02 PM
Don't believe there was a second-strike capability requirement, or any requirement for a hammer fired pistol.

Both would mean that Glock did a whole lot of redesign work on the Glock 21s they submitted for consideration. :confused:

drewman45
May 19, 2007, 11:33 PM
After reading ssteven1's post, I now know that I am not the only one that absolutely LOVES the 24/7 but can't/won't bet my life on the gun. I have never fired a more comfortable pistol in my life. After about 2,000 rds with no more than 2 misfires, I have now come to a point where I can not get a full mag of any brand of .45 to run through it without a misfire on the primer. I sent it back to Taurus, and after a month or so, got it back and the problem was fixed(replaced the firing pin)..........now it always strikes the primer hard enough, but it stove pipes at least once ever 10-20 rounds. It is currently at Taurus getting fixed again and the customer service guy I talked to assured me that it would be perfect when I got it back this time. While waiting, I bought another 24/7 in SS this time(still .45) to use in a 2 day/1500rd Combat Handgun course. After maybe 75rds, started to jam. Luckily, I brought my P229 with me. It never jams, but compared to the 24/7, feels like a large brick in my small hands.
Sorry for the rambling, but to sum it all up....... if I could get a reliable 24/7(especially one like the OSS with all it's features), I would be happier than a pig in "you know what". 2,000 rounds thru my PT745 without a single problem, so I know that Taurus can do it!!!!!

BTW, I have bought several guns from Budsgunshop. Great outfit. Not sure who saw an OSS there, but I hope they have one soon.

thedrake
January 25, 2008, 12:29 PM
it has arrived :) http://www.uberarms.com/handguns-taurus-model-24-7-oss.html

BrennanKG
January 25, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hey, and they come with "ambidextrous night sights"!
:D

I wonder how long it'll take these to hit the stores?

B.

mpmarty
January 25, 2008, 01:03 PM
Taurus has not released any of these yet. I'm on the list in Miami for three of them for evaluation. I've been waiting for over a year.

RancidSumo
January 25, 2008, 03:48 PM
I might have to get one to go with my 24/7 PRO. I love it, over 3000 rounds with no missfires/jams. Only thing I don't like is the trigger.

valor1
January 25, 2008, 07:59 PM
Well, I'd say Taurus has gone a long way and is now building better guns for the money.

mighty2
January 25, 2008, 10:25 PM
I was told by Taurus that the OSS will be hitting the market this spring.

I just bought the 24/7 Pro Long Slide very much like the OSS and it is sweet!!

kirkcdl
January 25, 2008, 10:31 PM
uberarms.com
The Model 24/7 OSS: TAURUS 24/7OSS 45ACP 12RD 5.25" BLK is not currently available. Please contact us for availability of this item.

thedrake
January 26, 2008, 01:35 PM
WHAT THE CRAP...they just switched it back to unavailable..grrrr!

OH well, they keep jerking people around with this firearm (they being taurus), people are going to spend their cash somewhere else. I'm officially trying to decide between one of these and a 1911....looks like Taurus is making the choice easy for me.

Walkalong
January 26, 2008, 02:59 PM
The "OSS" part just bothers me. To close to "SS" Maybe I am just to touchy, or maybe it isn't long enough ago yet.

Texastbird
January 26, 2008, 07:37 PM
The OSS was the office of strategic services in WW2. I don't know what the OSS infers in a 24/7.

thedrake
February 11, 2008, 05:10 PM
Looks like the "add to cart" buttons are back :O

http://www.uberarms.com/handguns-taurus-model-24-7-oss.html

[edit] ...and taken away again :( they must have a period update to their site that puts the "add" buttons on by accident.

HorseSoldier
February 11, 2008, 05:36 PM
I don't know what the OSS infers in a 24/7

I think Taurus has said that "OSS" stands for "Oh-Seven Submission" (or is it Oh-Six?), as in the pistol they submitted that year for the military contract trials.

And it's a wink and nod to the WW2 OSS, obviously, since SOCOM would be a major user of the pistol (kind of like Glocks G21SF, for "slim frame" or "special forces" and HK's USP45CT for "compact tactical" or "counter-terrorism" depending on whether you like your marketing hype cool or warm . . .).

neviander
March 4, 2008, 04:04 AM
I just bought a 24/7 pro 9mm for my wife, there's only been about 75 rounds through it, but so far it's fantastic and easy for her to shoot (she likes it a lot).
I need to get something for myself to carry and barring all the negative forum entries I've read about the 24/7, I began looking at the OSS as an option for me.

Beside the ambidextrous safety and tan colored frame, what is the difference between the pro and the OSS?
I know it's a brand new release, but I can't find any discernible difference between the two, except for the safety and color.
I also read that it's mostly the .45 pro that has the feeding problems AND that it's a magazine issue most of the time.

I like the fact that the OSS is a 12+1 .45, (I can't really justify springing for Para's P-14) but like a lot of people on here, I'll probably wait at least a few months before plopping 6 or 7 bills on the gun shop counter for one.

So, with all that being said, does anyone know what the differences with the OSS are?

sfmittels
March 4, 2008, 08:38 AM
Like most of you on this thread, I've been excited about the Taurus OSS since American Rifleman reviewed it about a hundred years ago. Everything about it looked good: design, capacity, manual of arms, ergos, appearance, etc. But it looks like it's the firearms equivalent of vaporware in the software business. What's really strange about it are the large number of expensive full-page ads that Tarus has run specifically for the OSS. If I was a Taurus stockholder, I'd be pissed.

But Taurus sat on their hands for too long. I just bought a Fabrique Nationale FNP-45. That model, too, was later to market than it was supposed to be. But it was worth the wait. It is a 14 + 1 .45 ACP, polymer frame, and a stainless slide with the most perfect machining I've seen. It comes standard with three steel (not polymer) magazines. It's a DA/SA with a frame-mounted decocker. Both the decocker and the slide release are ambidextrous. Trigger pull is similar to a SIG (!), although heavier. Grip circumference is smaller than a Glock G21SF. It field strips just like a SIG, and the hammer-forged barrel lets it group like a SIG. Woo hoo!

JohnS
April 20, 2008, 12:06 PM
I bought a Taurus 24/7 OSS at a gun show in Fl on April 12. Took it out yesterday. Here are my impressions.
I like the darker color of the plastic than the tan shown on the Taurus web site.
Feels very good in my medium sized hands. The sights were very usable, Novak three dot non adjustable sights. The SA trigger was very easy to get use to after only a few rounds. After releasing the firing pin, using the long double action trigger will take a little (not much) practice. When empty it is a little front heavy, a full magazine will balance it out nicely.
Aimed fire and off hand shooting is very comfortable and accurate to 50 yards. We tried a few shots to 100 yards, will take more practice.
Fed and fired a variety of ammo dependably. Over 300 rounds of factory 185 jhp, 230 ball, 185 +P, as well as various home made jacketed and lead round nose, SWC and JHP.
The only problem I had was half way through the session, I had half a mag of 230 factory round ball . A round did not feed and jammed the action open, I pulled back the slide and released feeding the round and kept shooting without other problems.
Recoil seemed mild to me, even with the +P and 230 gr slugs. I did fire one 45 Super that gave me a bit more jolt to my hand. It felt more like my G20 10MM. Although the smaller grip made it feel more controllable.
When loading the magazines, the first round was difficult to get in. It feels like the rear of the follower is stuck against the magazine wall. I jammed my thumb against the sharp edge of the lips a couple of times breaking the follower free till I learned to pay more attention. Not a big thing, but it could be during a stressful reload in a firefight. Also the thin walled magazines felt “odd” while shoving in ammo, can’t really explain my perception. Maybe because I am more use to Glock mags.
All the cases I checked, especially the +P and heavy slugs, showed an odd mark in the primers. Instead of a simple round indenture these showed the round hole made by the firing pin with a channel pulled out the side of that hole like the case started moving sideways while the firing pin was still in the primer. Before I break a firing pin, I am going to try to find a heavier firing pin spring and hope that works.
Even though it is quite accurate, I am not impressed with the barrel. With less than 500 rounds through the gun there are wear marks on the top and chamber side of the flat parts on the chamber end. Looks like sharp edges are scrapping these flat sides as it cycles. Could use better machining. The sides of the barrel are slightly rough. It could have been buffed before blueing. During the session the action wore a ring in the blueing on the tapered front end of the barrel where it fits through the frame. There was a noticeable gap in that wear ring on the slide side of the barrel. Makes me think there is something lacking in the machining of the barrel or the frame. The barrel is not as heavy as I would wish. My G20 factory barrel is much thicker around the chamber and barrel wall. My KKM barrel for the G20 is even thicker.
I am hoping a heavy machined barrel and heavy springs becomes available soon. Or a 45 Super conversion kit
Over all the three of us that shot the pistol were impressed with its accuracy, feel, function and dependability.
Now if Taurus would only put this trigger and decocker on the fine shorter 24/7s.

Jim Watson
April 20, 2008, 12:44 PM
Local dealer finally got a couple of OSS last week.
The shape of the grip feels as good in the hand as the ones I handled at SHOT '07.
For some strange reason the actions were not as smooth nor the trigger pulls as light as the company display guns. And the metal finish was rougher.
That inspection and JohnS' range report moved the model way down on the shopping list.

dalepres
April 20, 2008, 01:57 PM
Great first post, by the way. Very detailed, accurate, and informative. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have the 24/7 OSS in desert tan as well. You beat me by a week. I'll comment inline with your comments. Pictures are at http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6259.30.

I like the darker color of the plastic than the tan shown on the Taurus web site.

I was disappointed in the color - but not enough to keep from taking the gun. I wanted the light tan shown in the catalog. Taurus wasn't deceptive in their pictures; it is just a matter of lighting. You can see that in my pictures linked above, one shot shows the lighter tan color that Taurus shows and the others show a more accurate color. All were taken with the same camera on the same towel on the same table under the same kitchen lights.

Feels very good in my medium sized hands. The sights were very usable, Novak three dot non adjustable sights.

I am glad it didn't come with those ridiculous Heinie sights.

I have small fat hands - not terribly small but cannot comfortably hold most large framed .45 semi-automatics. I can hold this one almost as easily as a 1911 single-stack. I like it.

<Big snip here because I haven't shot it yet and won't get to for another week.>

When loading the magazines, the first round was difficult to get in. It feels like the rear of the follower is stuck against the magazine wall. I jammed my thumb against the sharp edge of the lips a couple of times breaking the follower free till I learned to pay more attention. Not a big thing, but it could be during a stressful reload in a firefight. Also the thin walled magazines felt “odd” while shoving in ammo, can’t really explain my perception. Maybe because I am more use to Glock mags.

Same problem with the magazines. The first round was particularly difficult. I loaded/unloaded a few rounds at a time about 50 times and it has begun to loosen up.

I am not impressed with the barrel. With less than 500 rounds through the gun there are wear marks on the top and chamber side of the flat parts on the chamber end. Looks like sharp edges are scrapping these flat sides as it cycles. Could use better machining. The sides of the barrel are slightly rough. It could have been buffed before blueing. During the session the action wore a ring in the blueing on the tapered front end of the barrel where it fits through the frame. There was a noticeable gap in that wear ring on the slide side of the barrel. Makes me think there is something lacking in the machining of the barrel or the frame.

My barrel showed the same wear marks even when I picked it up. I am sure this was caused by the dealer showing off the gun during the couple days they had it before I got in to pick it up. The gun was still in the plastic bag but one magazine slot in the case was empty and the magazine left in the weapon.

As I racked the slide 50 times or so to begin to loosen the gun up some, I could see the wear increase. Oh well, I'm not thrilled about that but it is a zombie gun and zombies won't care about finish wear.

I found the gun to be poorly machined as well. By the time I took it apart, cleaned it, and put it back together again, I had several cuts and gouges in my fingers.

When I was racking the slide, I made the mistake part way through of playing with the safety. With the safety on, which locks the slide closed, I grabbed the slide and tried to rack it. OUCH. That hurt. The ridges on the slide are sharp and grip flesh really well. I ripped my thumb across them leaving a nasty blister. For the next week or two, the only way I'll be able to rack the slide is going to be grabbing it using my fingers and palm. The ridges in the slide seem too narrow to even consider having a gunsmith round the corners over.

JohnS
April 21, 2008, 10:30 AM
FYI the black frames are metal the tan are synthetic.

I didn’t mean to give a negative impression with my opinions on the OSS 45.
Overall I really like the weapon. It was fun to shoot, very pointable, accurate, low recoil,.
It has the features I have been waiting for in an economy package. You just should not confuse this with a custom gun at twice the price. Just as you can not compare the old wore out GI 45s we had 30 years ago to a modern custom 45. The Taurus OSS is designed and built to be a cheap GI issue weapon. Once it has been out a while and more people realize how good a platform it is the custom barrels, springs, sights and magazines will become available. I like to have options. The Taurus gives me more options than any other affordable weapon I can name.
The synthetic frame is stronger as proven by Glock with their 10MM after their competitors steel framed guns wear out and break. Synthetic is lighter, the more you carry one the more you appreciate this. The 5 ¼ inch barrel gives the gun a chance to more efficiently use the combustion gases. It gives higher velocity for longer range accurate shots.
I actually prefer the feel of the double action trigger on the earlier 24/7s. The OSS gives me options with its decocker to carry a fully loaded 13 round pistol safely without a safety lever to deal with. I just need to shoot it enough to be comfortable with its double action first shot. As you should do with any gun you are going to trust your life with.
Once I find stronger springs, a heavier barrel and reload components for 45 Super, I will have a gun with ballistics similar to my 10MM glock in an easier to hold more controllable package. Big fat fast bullets give more one shot stops than any other.
I also want a .22 conversion kit, so I can afford to practice a lot more.

Papaster
April 21, 2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I got to hold one of these OSS guns next to the .40 Long slide. They're identical on the exterior, with exception of the OSS' ambi-safety/decocker & the sights. I do prefer the new Novak style sights to the Heine ones I have on my Taurus. I absolutely loved the gun by feel & the idea of the decocker & ambidextrous safety, and mostly the barrel length (sure beats my PT145 Pro).
I can't help but wonder though, if this action will be replaced by Taurus' new hammer-initiated action coming in the 800 series later this year. I'm looking forward to it.
Oh, and finally, I just read that though the JCP trials were called off, and the Army just ordered another 25,000 M9's from Beretta, the Air Force is still looking for a 45ACP pistol, and wants to retire the M9. So, we will see.

BattleChimp Potemkin
April 21, 2008, 01:33 PM
The Army will probably not consider this weapon. The biggest issue: Taurus would have to start a factory in the states for that. The Army will not accept a pistol unless it is made in the United States. That is why Beretta started making a bunch here (while still retaining their Italian factories). Taurus's prices would go up significantly if this happened.

JohnS
April 21, 2008, 03:02 PM
I just phoned the 800 phone number for Taurus and talked to a service rep. I told him about the odd mark I had noticed on the primers (the hit with a slide off to one side). He said that was normal for the OSS and other 24/7s. QUOTE: That is the way they were designed.
Also, there are no heavy springs available, unless I can find an aftermarket one for the long slide Mill Pro.
There is a backorder for 40,000 OSS models that should take till the end of the year to clear up. I would like to assume a large part of that 40K is gun stores and dealers.

Vstromer4570
April 22, 2008, 09:43 PM
I shot one of these this past weekend.I was very impressed with the accuracy and reliability of it .It fed and fired wc,hp and of course 230 ball ammo.I liked the fit and finish and will buy one as soon as I can afford it.My buddy that had it got it at a gun show and is pleased with it.I am impressed with the different designs and styles Taurus is making they are okay in my book.

Thrust_Per_Squeeze
May 4, 2008, 08:37 PM
what kind of mags does it take? the old 24/7 mags?

Disaster
May 4, 2008, 08:43 PM
"I told him about the odd mark I had noticed on the primers (the hit with a slide off to one side). He said that was normal for the OSS and other 24/7s."

Read that was normal for several striker models...like the Glock and Taurus.

hankdatank1362
May 4, 2008, 09:45 PM
I'd love to get one of the longslide/OSS 9mm barrels, thread it, and stick it in my 24/7 PRO. Then, I could attatch a can!

How cool would a suppressed 24/7 be!

dalepres
May 4, 2008, 09:49 PM
The OSS uses the same mags as the other full size 24/7s. I bought an extra for mine Friday and it worked just fine.

Thrust_Per_Squeeze
May 4, 2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks Dale

neviander
June 8, 2008, 07:57 PM
Any new field reports on these things? I'm wondering about reliability/longevity. Are there any quirks that anyone has found?

wally
June 9, 2008, 06:33 PM
Got to the range today and shot my new Taurus OSS 45 head to head with my XD45 Tactical. Its a 5" to 5" comparison, although I'd added a fiber optic front to the XD45.

I find the OSS a big improvement over the 24/7 (which I have in 9mm) and very much like the ambi safety.

I was shooting steel plates as usual so no target pictures, but despite much more practice with the XD, the OSS was knocking them down maybe a tad better. The OSS gives up one round (12+1 vs. 13+1) but is noticeably slimmer in the grip, if the XD feels a bit large to your hand, definitely give the OSS a look.

The XD was my favorite plastic pistol until I got the M&P 40, I actually liked the 24/7 trigger better in dry-fire than the XD trigger, but I do much better shooting the XD9 (as I said XD was my favorite plastic pistol) although the 1" shorter sight radius of the 24/7 didn't help.

Anyways, I think the new OSS is a winner and could push the XD to third place on my plastic gun preference list, Glocks are distant last place for me. Of course Springfield has answered with the new XDm 40 with supposedly improved trigger too, but this takes new mags too, and is priced higher.

At the most recent gun show XD45(~$475) and OSS (~$440) had the OSS about $35 cheaper but most XD packages come with three mags while the OSS has only two and the $35 for a third 24/7 magazine makes the OSS about the same price.

The new XDm40 was $550 best price, with most asking over $600 compared to about $475 for the XD45 and ~$420 for the XD40

Can't say much about the OSS durability, as with only three mags range sessions with it tend to be on the short side for me, as its way to hot to stand there stuffing magazines, but no issues in the first 100+ rounds of Wolf ball and my hard cast lead reloads in its first two outings.

--wally.

Edit, mine has a black frame and slide, At the last gun show I saw a black frame and stainless slide if you like the two tone look. But with the orientation of our plate racks and the time of day I can shoot, all black slides have proven best for me for using iron sights.

neviander
June 9, 2008, 11:11 PM
Good to know wally, thanks.

JohnS
July 28, 2008, 11:05 AM
7-28-08
I took my Taurus OSS out to the woods for another range session. I had a bunch of Georgia Arms 185 gr reloads and had a lot of “fail to feed” so I had to pull back the slide slightly and release to feed the round. My host has found an OSS since my last visit and shooting session. We compared guns. Where mine had a noticeable “edge” on the feeding ramp, it looked like his had been polished and rounded slightly. His OSS fed and fired flawlessly the ammo mine had jammed on every other round. I could take care of that problem myself. The other problem I noticed could be more fatal. I was practicing double action first shots. One big reason I bought the OSS was so I could carry a loaded chamber with the striker down, and use double action for the first shot. I noticed once in a while that normal trigger pressure did not fire the weapon. In fact I had to squeeze the Hell out of the trigger, pulling it way off target, sometimes not getting it to fire at all pulling as hard as I could. Not a good way to stay alive in a gun fight.
I emptied the gun, pulled the magazine and started dry firing in double action. It took between 20 and 40 pulls for the problem to reoccur. Used a variety of ammo, same thing.
My buddy tried and experienced the same thing, not just my hand or grip. After I came home and cleaned the gun as well as I can, the same thing happens. Sometimes it just takes a little extra effort to make it fire, sometimes I have to use both hands and two fingers to make the striker fall.
My buddys OSS does not seem to have either problem.
Definitely time to use that Taurus lifetime guarantee.
At least I have extra carry guns that won’t get me killed.

Disaster
July 28, 2008, 11:15 AM
Sounds like you have a tolerance issue with yours so that the trigger is hitting the end of travel just around the same time as the striker release. I've read about a similar problem before with Millenium Pros which employ the same basic striker design. Can't recall the exact problem...might have been play in the striker assembly itself. Definitely get it back to Taurus and let us know how long it takes to get fixed. Taurus is all over the map with service. On the Taurus forum there is one guy waiting for his gun back for over 5 months for a recoil spring replacement.

I like the trigger release on my PT111. It is pretty crisp...stiff for a SA...closer to the effort in the M&P...about perfect for a defensive weapon.

dalepres
July 28, 2008, 10:35 PM
Sometimes it just takes a little extra effort to make it fire, sometimes I have to use both hands and two fingers to make the striker fall.

And you shot it like that? It seems like a very bad idea to shoot an obviously broken gun.

deanrowski
November 1, 2008, 12:58 AM
I bought one of the first oss to hit the market here in COLO.
I was so excited to finally get one and go shoot the heck out of it!! What a disappointment!! It would either not fully seat the slide or fail to extract! And this was just with reg 230gr. ball ammo!! Also the mag release would not drop even a full mag after 200 rnds!! So off it went to Taurus and about 6 weeks later I got it back. I still have not had a chance to test it again But it's on my list!! TOO many guns too little time!! I can tell you one thing It will NEVER replace my Glocks for CCW or any other life or death situation!!! Looks like another gun safe QUEEN!!

Ronin08
November 12, 2008, 12:19 PM
New user here. Does anyone know what the difference is in the "3rd generation" OSS models and the originals (never seen anything on Gen 2...)? Also, how would you tell the difference? S/N or extra/modified controls, etc?

Txhillbilly
November 21, 2008, 01:10 AM
I just bought a Taurus OSS 45acp last weekend and the gun functions perfectly no feeding problems,FTF's,but at 25ft it shoots 6 inches low. I have taken it apart several times to see if I can tell if something isn't right but it looks OK. I have never had a new gun that shoots so far off point of aim.
I really don't want to send it back to Taurus,and would rather just put a different rear sight (adjustable) so I could get it to shoot point of aim.
Anyone have suggestions? THB

hksw
November 21, 2008, 01:49 PM
Both sights are dovetailed (as I look at the pictures on Taurus' website). Tell Taurus of your problem and maybe they'll send you (free of charge) a new front and/or rear to correct the problem.

Eightball
November 21, 2008, 03:32 PM
Does anyone know what the difference is in the "3rd generation" OSS models and the originals (never seen anything on Gen 2...)?Whoa, there's been 3 generations of this thing already? Why? What was changed?

If you enjoyed reading about "taurus 24/7 OSS (Taurus's Army gun entry)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!