Weekend Gun Purchase

PDA

NewShooter
October 22, 2006, 01:46 PM
Has anyone ever been delayed on a background check because it was a weekend. Many gov agencies shut down or have skeleton crew on weekends. I ask this because I have never bought on a weekend.

If you enjoyed reading about "Weekend Gun Purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rangerruck
October 22, 2006, 02:01 PM
shouldn't make a diff, the fbi, usually has at least a couple of newbs manning the phones for this stuff , on the weekends.

DoubleTapDrew
October 22, 2006, 02:15 PM
I usually make purchases on the weekend because I don't have much time between when I get off work and when the shops close. Never had a problem or delay. I would think purchases increase on the weekends for the same reason. Maybe gun shop employees here can answer that.

ExtremeDooty
October 22, 2006, 02:25 PM
The last gun I bought, my XD45, was on a Saturday afternoon about 5 PM. They said it might take a while and they were closing at 6. I gave them my cell phone # and went to the range. About 30 minutes later, they called and said it was ready to go. I picked up the gun and was back at the range shooting the 45 within 30 minutes. Total time spent was 1 hour even with the additional driving time. I couldn't find anything to complain about.

mosttoyswins
October 22, 2006, 02:42 PM
Get your CHL.

In Texas if you have a CHL, no background check needed, just fill out the form and go.

MTW

loki.fish
October 22, 2006, 04:04 PM
mosttoy, if you look he's from Ohio. What applies in Texas, doesn't apply to every state.

As to the original post. Unless Ohio has a mandatory 7 day waiting period, you shouldn't have any problems. The last gun I bought was on a weekend and the background check only took maybe 2 minutes. The guy who called it in was pretty happy after getting off the phone, exclaiming, "That's how fast and smooth all these calls should take!!" and I was out of there in no time at all.

NewShooter
October 22, 2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks to all for the replies.
I didnt think it should be a problem since most sales probably take place on the weekend.

CannonFodder
October 22, 2006, 06:11 PM
I went into Wallyworld for targets one afternoon. I saw a great deal on a shotgun. I snapped it up - and I woulda walked out with it had the NICS system not been down that day.

Sadly, I had to wait a week... but I was still tickled by the fact that I could buy a gun along side a bottle of coke.

That's america! :D

mp510
October 23, 2006, 01:19 AM
I know, what applies in TX doesn't apply in OH, and the same goes for Connecticut stuff not necesarily being the same as Ohio. In CT, the State Police/ DPS are the point of contact for call in checks. On Sundays (with a few exceptions) nobody is in the office, as of the last budget crunch, and the automatred system conveniently goes down with regularity then :scrutiny: , anyhow, temperary denials (delayed) responses are given with a reference number, and the seller simply calls in and gets the auth the next business day, and things are good to go.

If you enjoyed reading about "Weekend Gun Purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!