Inline rifle question

PDA

CZguy
October 22, 2006, 05:58 PM
I am interested in buying a stainless/composite in line .50 cal rifle.

Who makes the best ones?

If you enjoyed reading about "Inline rifle question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vairochana
October 23, 2006, 03:48 AM
why are you buying an inline?

arcticap
October 23, 2006, 04:32 AM
Whether you spend $100 or $1000, I'm not sure that any inline model is "the best" for everyone. There's so much personal taste involved, how could anybody really say what's the best unless they have shot them all?
There's lots of different action styles to choose from and each has advantages and disadvantages.
Do you want the names of some companies and their products to investigate?
There's so many good ones, how is one supposed to differentiate among them to help narrow down what you are looking for? :rolleyes:

CZguy
October 23, 2006, 06:06 AM
how could anybody really say what's the best unless they have shot them all?

Let me try and articulate that a little better.

I want the rifle for hunting. All weather stainless steel and composite stock would be a plus. As would having the percussion cap not exposed to the weather.

What are the names of the companies that make high quality rifles and who makes the lower quality ones.

BigV
October 23, 2006, 07:52 AM
My opinion is that Thompson Center makes a very good In Line muzzleloader that will fit the bill for you. I had a TC Encore in .50 with a stainless barrel and composite stock, but sold it a few years back and purchased a TC Omega in .50 with a stainless barrel and laminated wood stock. Great gun, here’s a picture:
http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/1629omega.JPG

22-rimfire
October 23, 2006, 07:55 AM
The Thompson Center Omega is a proven performer and one of the cheaper models. I started the TC Omega thread hoping to learn some things about this gun as I have little black powder experience. Figure I will shoot it this fall to learn some of the ropes and then use it next year to hunt deer with. It helps that I am getting it for a very cheap price also.

CZguy
October 23, 2006, 12:40 PM
Is this a good deal on an Omega

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=86921&hvarDept=400&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse

Rembrandt
October 23, 2006, 06:48 PM
The two "best" that come to mind would be the Knight "Master Hunter" and the Austin-Halleck rifles.

I currently have three Knights, all have Timney Triggers, (2-Stainless 1-Blued), excellent accuracy, great workmanship. Here's some pics....
Knight Master Hunter...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Knight1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Knight4.jpg

Austin-Halleck....

http://www.austinhalleck.com/images/420mfn86.jpg

mp510
October 23, 2006, 07:11 PM
As an FYI, Austin is Out of Production at present

Plink
October 23, 2006, 07:17 PM
The Austin & Halleck's are some of the most accurate muzzleloaders made. The big problem is as of 10-01, Austin & Halleck closed operations and is going out of business. They're selling the remaining guns at 1/2 price, which is quite a steal! If you want one, get it NOW. I bought 2 Mountain Rifles from them, one in flint and the other percussion, along with some spare parts. They still had quite a few of them when I bought, and enough barrels to assemble several hundred inlines also. Buy it fast though, because they're selling fast.

CZguy
October 23, 2006, 09:14 PM
They're selling the remaining guns at 1/2 price, which is quite a steal!

Who is? Their web site still lists full price.

Plink
October 24, 2006, 07:24 AM
CZ, they're selling them at 1/2 of the price listed on their site. If they don't have the phone number still listed on the site, send them an email and they'll tell you what's left and how to order it. I called in my order and got the guns in 6 days. As much as I dispise inlines, I almost wish I had the money to buy their 420. It's a dang good looking and good shooting rifle.

motorcycle_dan
October 24, 2006, 04:30 PM
Hmmmm,
CDNN has Ruger BP rifle in .50 cal from $199 in blue to $289 for laminate stainless.
Link: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

DO NOT look at that web site within reach of your credit card.

That said, I have a Cheap CVA bobcat That will put patched RB within 3" of one another at 60yards.

There is something to be said for spending the extra money on running projectiles down range rather on a fancy rifle.

But I'm a cheap buggar. I like shooting for fun. If I was get'n hungry and needed FOOD, I'd rim fire me some bunnies and forget about white tail.

arcticap
October 24, 2006, 07:18 PM
The actions that are truely enclosed often require the use of a plastic primer holder. Some of the enclosed models are the Knight Revolution II and the Knight Vision (break action). The H&R Sidekick/Huntsman, Traditions Pursuit and CVA Wolf (I think) are also break actions.
Some of the rifles previously shown above are bolt actions similar to the first generation Remington bolt.
Now the newer actions have the drop block actions which include the Remington Genesis and the Traditions Yukon.
Personally, I prefer the cheaper & older versions of the simple plunger type bolt action, but the barrels are usually shorter at ~.22 inches due to the length of the action. Mine uses the #11 caps which I prefer but other similar models do use #209's, and an optional cover can also be wrapped around just about any action. Here's a picture of my .54 Lyman Cougar action by Investarms:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/arcticap/P1000016a.jpg

nico
October 24, 2006, 07:30 PM
From what I've seen/read, Knight and Thompson Center seem to be the best.

That being said, I have no complaints about my .50 CVA Optima Pro. It's basically a copy of a TC encore/contender. My dad bought mine with a 3-9x32 Swift scope and an identical package for himself for $175 each this time last year.

My dad took a small button buck with his this past weekend.

wanderinwalker
October 24, 2006, 09:44 PM
If it was my money, I'd get either a TC Omega or Encore, whichever one being legal in your area as a muzzleloader. Not super-duper fancy or wickedly expensive, just good, solid working guns with a great factory backing and a reputation for shooting well.

Actually, wait, I DID spend my money on an Encore. And it really, really shoots. With the aperture rear and firesight front on a short 20" barrel, it really is a dream to shoot. Of course, when it "only" shoots 2.5-3" groups at 100 yards, I'm pretty sure where the blame needs to go. :banghead:

I've handled the CVA Optima Pros at the shop and am not terribly impressed by their ergos and balance. For others they may be a top-pick.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/P-990/HuntingRifles002.jpg

It's the one on the left.

nico
October 24, 2006, 10:25 PM
I've handled the CVA Optima Pros at the shop and am not terribly impressed by their ergos and balance. For others they may be a top-pick
I think it'd be fair to say that, for most people, they're a bargain pick. The 14.5" LOP and 29" barrel make it feel pretty nose heavy in my hands (especially since I'm 5'1), but it gets the job done.

I haven't handled a Thompson or Knight, and probably shouldn't until I have the money to spend on one:uhoh:

arcticap
October 25, 2006, 03:18 AM
I have an unfired .50 American Knight Value Pack for sale:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=2799949#post2799949

Lambo119
October 26, 2006, 01:43 PM
First off if you want a inline stick with the company that started it all, Knight Rifles/Modern Muzzleloading. I had the pleasure to shoot one of the first prototypes of the new .52 cal Knight Long Range Hunter's. I was so impressed I purchaed one out of the first production run. This is a do it all muzzleloader. very pleasing to the eye and shoots better than it looks. I have taken whitetail with .54, .50 & .45 cal's over the years but this is the shiznit! The result on large game with a Barnes bullet is equal to any high power shot I have taken.

NEWENGLANDCHARTERS
March 4, 2009, 11:04 AM
TC .50 cal Omega

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cabelas has about 6 new Factory Refurbished TC Omega Stainless Steel with the Laminated Thumbhole stocks

in the Bargain cave.

I passed up buying the last one at $388.

Anyone want to do a group buy. walk in and offer them $250 or $300 per rifle if we by them all? I wonder if they would go for it.

I would ever put their decal on my pickup truck for the right deal.

NO SCOPES!

Newenglandcharters@maine.rr.com

messerist
March 4, 2009, 09:32 PM
I like the T/C Encore because of it's versatility. You can interchange barrels on the rifle from muzzle loader to cartridge gun to shotgun very easily. How many you want just depends on your wife and pocketbook.

If you enjoyed reading about "Inline rifle question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!