Security

PDA

NIGHTWATCH
May 17, 2003, 07:24 AM
I logged on this morning to find the title of my post "equilibrium" in general discussion was altered. The "very scarrrrryyyy" was not my doing. Somebody wrote this and Im wondering now what to do about it. If it was an administrator than ok, but I was not told about it, never recieved an e-mail. Whats going on? What should I do?

:) :what: :( :mad: :fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "Security" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
c_yeager
May 17, 2003, 08:41 AM
Be afraid be VERRRRRRRY afraid.

NIGHTWATCH
May 17, 2003, 08:56 AM
:uhoh:

Mal H
May 17, 2003, 09:01 AM
Interesting. I'm pretty sure the thread title change is due to a merger of two threads on the same subject (I didn't do it so I can't be positive, but there is evidence this is what happened.) But, your thread was first in time and the new thread should have retained your title. Instead it took the title of the newer thread.

I just did an informal test of this and the new thread kept the title of the older thread once and changed to the title of the newer thread once. That is odd program behavior. Let's just call it a quirk [bug ].

NIGHTWATCH
May 17, 2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks for checking it out. Id hate to think someone other than an administrator had access to my account. That would be very scarrrrryyyyyyy. :uhoh:

Mal H
May 17, 2003, 10:38 AM
Ah! Now I get it. It really isn't a bug at all. (The following musings are more for us moderators than anyone.)

If a thread 'A' (the URL placed in the "Thread to merge with:" box) is merged with thread 'B', the newly created thread will take the title of B no matter what the dates of either thread. So it is important to merge in the proper order so as to retain the earlier title, if for no other reason than the first person with the story gets to choose the title. That is unless a later thread has a much better and more descriptive title. The moderator can, of course, change or add to the title if necessary for clarification.

tyme
May 17, 2003, 04:21 PM
Yeah. Pretty much up to the mod to choose which thread title to use.

Mods have better things to do with their time than make silly changes to thread titles.

Justin
May 25, 2003, 04:08 AM
Guilty as charged. I merged those two threads, and had fully intended to keep the name from the first thread started. Apparently I merged in the wrong order.

My bad.:o

If you enjoyed reading about "Security" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!