Buying a gun as a gift?

PDA

Bowlcut
May 17, 2003, 10:45 AM
How is it done leagaly to be on the up and up? I want to get my dad a KelTech P-32 for maybe fathers day and know he will be using it as his carry/backup weapon. I thought just doing it the redneck way.... "here ya go dad" and be done with it. But what paperwork in TN would use use and/or where would you get it?

What can I say.....Im the good son :D buying dad a gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying a gun as a gift?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ol' Badger
May 17, 2003, 10:52 AM
I bought my girl a Lady Smith and the dealer looked at me and said is "this for you?" I said yup and filled out the paper work, paid and left.

Hkmp5sd
May 17, 2003, 11:23 AM
Don't know about TN, but in Florida, it is perfectly legal to purchase a firearm with the intention of giving it to someone as a gift, provided that person can legally own a gun. There is no extra paperwork or explainations required.

Chipperman
May 17, 2003, 12:18 PM
Beware of Straw Purchase laws.

Hkmp5sd
May 17, 2003, 12:28 PM
16. "STRAW PURCHASES"

Where a person purchases a firearm with the intent of making a gift of the firearm to another person, the person making the purchase is indeed the true purchaser. There is no straw purchaser in these instances. In the above example, if Mr. Jones had bought a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Smith as a birthday present, Mr. Jones could lawfully have completed Form 4473. The use of gift certificates would also not fall within the category of straw purchases. The person redeeming the gift certificate would be the actual purchaser of the firearm and would be properly reflected as such in the dealer's records.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/geninfo.pdf

Chipperman
May 17, 2003, 12:46 PM
Thats FED, but don't some states change the Rules for that?

Feanaro
May 17, 2003, 02:57 PM
To the best of my knowledge as long as the person you are giving the gun to could legally purchase it themselves you're okay. At least under Fed/Alabama law.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying a gun as a gift?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!