R.O.K.: Takes No Backseat in Autoloaders..

PDA

Mad Magyar
October 23, 2006, 07:31 PM
It was time to bring out my cold weather carry for some firing: .40 Daewoo in “fast-fire”, Tri-Action. BTW, I utilize its little-brother in the summer, 9mm Daewoo Compact.
Gun-Tests reviewed this pistol against the Uzi Eagle and the EEA Witness some years back. These three could meet the criteria for the U.S. Limited Division of I.P.S.C. competition. All were under $550 and presently this Daewoo n.i.b. can be had for a little over $300 on GunsAmerica. Here is part of what they said…
“Functionally, this Daewoo reliably digested all of the commercial ammo we fed it. The traditionally-styled slide had more readily-available surface area than all the others in the test, so it was the easiest to grasp and retract. The internal safety, a passive firing pin block, worked positively.”
“Of the pistols in this test, the DH-40 was the lightest and most evenly balanced. So, pointing and target acquisition were the fastest.”
“Daewoo equipped this pistol with a good set of blued, fixed sights. The front was an integral ¼ inch-wide blade with a white dot on its straight face, while the rear was a dovetailed low-profile blade with two white dots and a ¼ inch sq. notch. This arrangement afforded a sight picture that was easy to see and align. Shooters found the operation of the Fast-Fire trigger to be interesting, though some felt the tri-action pull was a little too easy for novice gun handlers.”
In a negative sense & the biggest concern was their tester stated it shot 4 inches high and 3 inches to the left of the point of aim…I have two of the .40’s and found it not to be the case with mine…
They concluded that the level of performance to be satisfactory for defensive work….
I’m biased of course, but there is no doubt that the Asian Anomaly is the most underrated, undervalued, and misunderstood pistol in this country…..
http://i13.tinypic.com/2zf3k7p.jpg
Range:
Point-shooting at 5 & 7 yds, “double-hits” & rapid fire…..No problems
http://i14.tinypic.com/2r6prif.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "R.O.K.: Takes No Backseat in Autoloaders.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Moonclip
October 23, 2006, 08:15 PM
Are those grips factory:) I have been looking for a Daewoo pistol for a long time, mostly for grins as I once owned a Daewoo microwave and my dad almost bought one of the cars!

MachIVshooter
October 23, 2006, 08:22 PM
I once owned a Daewoo microwave and my dad almost bought one of the cars!

Be glad he didn't. They are total junk, truly at the bottom of the heap in the automobile world. Got one at the shop right now, timing belt jumped at 72K and bent every single valve. New motor is $6,853 + install; car was $10,704 new.

spooney
October 23, 2006, 08:22 PM
Nice pistol glad you could stop Billy Ray Cyrus before he did anymore damage.

wally
October 23, 2006, 08:34 PM
Most any modern passenger auto engine will self-destruct if (when) the timing belt breaks. That's why you need a good warrenty and can't risk ignoring the (expensive) timing belt replacemnet when called for in the maintainence schedule.

We were a PITA to the dealer demanding to see the maintainence schedule for timing belt replacement. Anything less than 100K miles was eliminated from our consideration.

Last CDNN catalog had Daewoo 9mm for ~$300. Don't remember which model, and lack of magazines could be an issue.

--wally.

Moonclip
October 23, 2006, 08:40 PM
S&W 59 series 9mm mags are suppose to work in these guns in 9mm. Do the 40 S&W mags work in the 40 Daewoo like from a 4006 S&W?

Chuck Perry
October 23, 2006, 09:13 PM
Where did you find "Dog the Bounty Hunter" targets? I need a case of those!

varoadking
October 23, 2006, 09:28 PM
I’m biased of course, but there is no doubt that the Asian Anomaly is the most underrated, undervalued, and misunderstood pistol in this country…..

If that means it's just another piece of cheap crap, then I'm in total agreement...

Moonclip
October 23, 2006, 09:32 PM
yeah I like the mullet and late 80's / early 90's style mc hammer pants!

atblis
October 23, 2006, 09:38 PM
I've looked at them. They appear to be well made. On my wish list. Love to have guns that people will summarily dismiss as junk when quite the opposite is true. Very satisfying.

If they are anything like Daewoo's rifles, then I am sure they are quite good. My DR200 needs a buddy.

I'd wager that varoadking has never shot one.

10-Ring
October 23, 2006, 10:01 PM
I have a shooting buddy that had one for less than a year. Not that it malf'd or had issues w/ it, just that he traded it away for something he wanted more...as I recall, that tri action is pretty cool & it shoots pretty well too.

GunnySkox
October 23, 2006, 10:09 PM
You know if a man rolls up on you in an aggressive mullet and hammer pants, one of you isn't walking away from the encounter alive..

~GnSx

psyopspec
October 23, 2006, 10:11 PM
Christ on a crutch, where'd you get those badguy/badhair targets?!? Don't you think that's an unfair increase in the headshot killzone? That guys got more hair on his head than my entire family combined!

You're pistols interesting too, I particularly like the grips. Threads on Daewoo handguns don't come up that often, but IIRC they're largely positive. There's one sitting at my local shop right now, I might have to see if they'll let me test drive it.*

*It is indeed a handgun, and not a car.

Glockamolie
October 23, 2006, 10:33 PM
"Most any modern passenger auto engine will self-destruct if (when) the timing belt breaks."

A real engine has a timing chain. ;)

Eightball
October 23, 2006, 11:19 PM
Don't you think that's an unfair increase in the headshot killzone?Hmmm.....I see a new way to increase bragging rights, while maintaining "It's true!" :evil:

MD_Willington
October 24, 2006, 12:33 AM
The Daewoo Group is a conglomerate of many companies...

Daewoo Precision Industries branch of the Daewoo Corporation made the firearms.

The cars are from General Motors Daewoo.

Daewoo means Great Universe.

lee n. field
October 24, 2006, 12:36 AM
A real engine has a timing chain.

And 4 air cooled cylinders, 2 to a side, laid flat.;)

strambo
October 24, 2006, 02:30 AM
And 4 air cooled cylinders, 2 to a side, laid flat.Or 6...why'd you have to bring that up? I miss flying...:banghead:

Wesker
October 24, 2006, 07:19 AM
Man, what DOESN" Daewoo make?

How do you like it?

Mad Magyar
October 24, 2006, 07:56 AM
The Daewoo is an interesting firearm...Reliability takes on more importance than looks or target accuracy...I always feel I can improve the latter....
Moonclip, I usually alter my grips & holsters..The originals are smooth, shiney plastic that I'm not crazy about: a nice new coat seems more appropriate...BTW, the Yaqui slide took awhile with the ostrich...
Spooner, you made me spill my coffee over myself....:D
Varoadking, if I could find another "piece of crap" in their .45, it would make me extremely happy...I've been searching for the last couple of years...
Psyopspec, the targets are from: www.letargets.com Plenty of choices at a fair price.....P.S. Check that shop out...;)
You're right about the interchange of mags on the 9mm, but not sure about the .40..
Appreciate the replies, negative included....

lee n. field
October 24, 2006, 08:31 AM
Or 6...why'd you have to bring that up? I miss flying...

I was thinking my Volkswagen Classic (1971 BUG) that I had for a total of 2 years, and haven't had for 25, and still dream about sometimes. . .

But this departs quite a ways from the subject.

strambo
October 24, 2006, 09:00 AM
Ha! Air cooled flat cyliders made me think of an aircraft engine.

I haven't shot a Daewoo, but a buddy got one and loved it. Sent it to another buddy of his who needed a gun. He's the type of guy who will literally give you the shirt off his back. Inexpensive does not equal "cheap".

Tim13
October 24, 2006, 03:47 PM
"yeah I like the mullet and late 80's / early 90's style mc hammer pants!"

:p The only thing missing is the 80's "fanny pack" that he drew his weapon from.

Tim

MachIVshooter
October 24, 2006, 04:27 PM
Don't mean to get further off topitc, but;

Most any modern passenger auto engine will self-destruct if (when) the timing belt breaks.

Nearly all of the domestics are freewheeling, as are most Toyota motors.

That's why you need a good warrenty and can't risk ignoring the (expensive) timing belt replacemnet when called for in the maintainence schedule

Daiwoo says 102,000. He was still 30K shy of the schedule.

Not trying to pick a fight, just point out that you get what you pay for.

A real engine has a timing chain Agreed.

wally
October 24, 2006, 09:51 PM
Daiwoo says 102,000. He was still 30K shy of the schedule.

If they honored the warrenty without hassle, its just bad luck (like having to return an expensive Kimber or SIG GSR for rework). If they didn't, then that's a good reason never to buy and to recommend against.

I rented one once, seemed OK, but was nothing special. Our Honda CRV had the A/C compressor die about 200 miles before the warrenty expired. Honda had it fixed at no cost the next day with zero hassle.

--wally.

atblis
October 24, 2006, 11:03 PM
Nothing wrong with a timing belt if it's done right.

If you enjoyed reading about "R.O.K.: Takes No Backseat in Autoloaders.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!