Cleaning Ruger 10/22 mags

PDA

Nathaniel Firethorn
October 23, 2006, 11:16 PM
Hi, all,

My 10/22 mags needed some cleaning, and I noticed the dire warnings in the manual about not disassembling them. Ruger suggests soaking them in solvent. I'd like to use an inexpensive and relatively nontoxic solvent for this. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
- NF.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning Ruger 10/22 mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
October 23, 2006, 11:39 PM
Really? My manual tells you how to disassemble them. But I wouldn't do it!

Anyway, I just use Hoppes No. 9. and a coffe mug. Pour some in the magazines and the mug. Let them sit in the mug. Then, eventually, turn the upside down.

Slosh everything around. Use a Q-tip to get the gunk from the mag, where you can reach. Slosh around again. Turn over and slosh. You get the picture.

Finally, dump the magazines out and set them somewhere, upside down, to drain completely. Wipe off any excess with a rag and dry Q-tip. Let them sit upside down again on a rag or something, to dry.

Works for me, anyway.

Crosshair
October 24, 2006, 12:10 AM
Hot water and lots of soap works on Buttler Creek Steel lips mags. Be sure to rinse afterwards. I let mine soak overnight.

10-Ring
October 24, 2006, 12:43 AM
I recently took apart my 10/22 mags for the first time. They got to be pretty dirty & pretty unreliable & it was either clean or replace them. I needed another set of hands to put them back together, but w/ a little patience, it's not so bad.

Arkie
October 24, 2006, 12:49 AM
Here is a nice page to show you how to clean the rotary mags and even how to put them back together. :D

Click Here... (http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html)

Kymasabe
October 24, 2006, 01:10 AM
I fill mine with BrakeClean, give them a good shake and dump them out. Seems to work. Eventually I'll just have to throw them out and buy new ones but for now...works just fine.

Skofnung
October 24, 2006, 01:22 AM
Huh... I didn't know I wasn't supposed to take them apart... I've done it several times to half-a-dozen old ones and it hasn't been a problem. Guess you learn something new every day.

The biggest PITB is getting the spring tension right, and that doesn't take but a few seconds or minutes at most to sort out.

Nathaniel Firethorn
October 24, 2006, 10:06 AM
From the directions that Arkie posted:Step 7: Note that the cap nut has six flat sides (duh, it's a hexagon!). Start with the spring untensioned, then rotate it six notches clockwise. In other words, you're moving it one full revolution, or 360 degrees. When properly tensioned, use your finger to press the cap nut into the hexagonal depression in the magazine cap. Then, while holding the cap nut in place, use your hex wrench to tighten the screw on the other side. Ensure it's tightened firmly, but do not strip the threads or screw head.The 10/22 manual I've got says that the factory setting for the spring tension is one-and-a-quarter turns, or 450 degrees.. I did disassemble a mag, and found that it was just short of impossible to put the factory tension back on it. Or at least it was for me, without some kind of special tool. (or maybe a new brain. :D )

- NF

Mr White
October 24, 2006, 11:29 PM
How can you get 1-1/4 turns out of a 6-sided nut anyway? 1-1/6 or 1-1/3, I can believe. Maybe that's why its next to impossible to get the factory tension right. :D

ArmedBear
October 25, 2006, 12:06 AM
At some point you gotta figure, they're not THAT expensive. Depends how much time and effort it takes, as well as how much the solvent costs.

Nathaniel Firethorn
October 25, 2006, 08:57 AM
How can you get 1-1/4 turns out of a 6-sided nut anyway?The master clonked the novice on the head with a magazine, and he was enlightened. :D

Re solvent: Brakleen is carbon tetrachloride, IIRC. Pretty nasty stuff. Hoppe's is pretty expensive. I was hoping for something I could buy in gallon cans at Home Cheapo.

- NF

Mr White
October 25, 2006, 09:21 AM
Actually, WD-40 works pretty good as a cleaner. I use it on 10/22 mags to clean them. I tried using Break-Free Powder Blast. It is great stuff. It dissolves jsut about anything. Unfortunately, that 'anything' includes the plastic parts of the mag.

donkee
October 25, 2006, 09:33 AM
I had the same question a few weeks back. I just followed the directions on the link provided above and didn't have any problems doing it.

Glockfan.45
October 25, 2006, 09:35 AM
I took a Ruger 10 round mag apart once. Its still in a box in pieces :uhoh: . My advice dont do it.

BSlacker
October 25, 2006, 10:58 AM
Here are some pics of a tool I made to tension 10/22 mags. Saves your fingers and gets the tension anywhere you want. It screws into the nut tightly and then you can push it back and turn it for tension while you hold the body together.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-1/1128723/rugermag4.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-1/1128723/rugermag5.JPG

You can make one from a long bolt with some nuts and washers for a handle.:evil:

Nathaniel Firethorn
October 25, 2006, 11:55 AM
BSlacker, that's a cool tool!

[Ed: Dumb question deleted.]

- NF

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning Ruger 10/22 mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!