What other hobbies go w/ guns?

PDA

10-Ring
May 17, 2003, 04:41 PM
I have been working up to buying my first motorcycle and thought of how well it would complement my firearms collection when I started wondering what other hobbies/ pass times go well with guns? Photography? Cars? Motorcycles? Stamp collecting? What?

If you enjoyed reading about "What other hobbies go w/ guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jimbo
May 17, 2003, 04:44 PM
Beer guzzling. Just not at the same time as the shooting from a motorcycle thing...:rolleyes:

Bostonterrier97
May 17, 2003, 04:48 PM
Reloading, Hunting, Fishing, Backpacking, Skiing, Gardening (or Farming), Collecting and Restoring Military Rifles, Cowboy Action Shooting, Beer Making, Distilling your own Whiskey, Woodworking with Handtools.

May 17, 2003, 05:07 PM
I have noticed in the past that certain other objects or hobbies seem to be closely allied with guns. Put another way, it seems to me like a lot of people that are into guns are also into these other hobbies.
Knives
Photography
Watches
History
Cars

MicroBalrog
May 17, 2003, 05:10 PM
Table-Top Roleplaying:

"The AK-47 vibrates in your hands, as you perforate the ancient vampire at a rate of 10 rounds per second..."

Carnitas
May 17, 2003, 05:10 PM
General Aviation, Computers, and Cooking.

Hkmp5sd
May 17, 2003, 05:18 PM
NASCAR (racing and collectibles), Non-Firearm Weapon collecting, Militaria/History collecting, RPGs (computer and face-to-face), Painting miniatures, First-Person Shooters, Autograph collecting (don't shoot me, but I *do* have Hillary's), Reading (every book ever written, if possible), Teaching (both shooting and 2nd Amendment) to non-shooters, Action Figures (collecting), reloading and the ever popular hobby of building Lego sets.

(Sure hope I never grow up and have to give up my toys) :)

MeekandMild
May 17, 2003, 05:37 PM
10-Ring, IMHO the ideal hobby (if you are single or otherwise have a lot of money to throw away or can convince Uncle Sam to pay for lessons, which is what I did) is aerobatic flying. I used to do this and it is great fun and requires if anything more discipline than target shooting. It is also great exercise. I recall many times coming back in from an hour of flying nearly exhausted.

I haven't really thought much about it for years but in the process of packing for a move yesterday I came across Duane Cole's book "Conquest of Lines and Symmetry". I'd already packed his other book, "Roll Around a Point", which would probably be a better starter book if you were interested in learning about the subject.

If you can convince the government to pay for your lessons you may be lucky enough to combine both hobbies shooting AND aerobatics. Plus they let you fly in really great planes, much hotter than anything you can fly as a civilian and they do all the maintainance. They pay you, which is even better than doing it for free!

http://www.af.mil/

Gewehr98
May 17, 2003, 05:48 PM
:D

http://mauser98.com/toobz8.jpg

SaintofKillers
May 17, 2003, 06:06 PM
Guns, street rods, off-road racing,and dunebuggys, its all internal combustion.:evil:

BerettaNut92
May 17, 2003, 06:08 PM
Music. Because fast is jerky but smooth is fast ;)

Leatherneck
May 17, 2003, 06:13 PM
Finding, acquiring, transporting, cleaning, and repairing other toys. No time to use them beyond ensuring they work. Hmmmmmm. Maybe I need to re-prioritize.:confused:

TC
TFL Survivor

wingman
May 17, 2003, 06:18 PM
What I like, Guns, airplanes, motorcycles,
boats, cameras, what I have money for,
----------------------------------.:cuss:

Standing Wolf
May 17, 2003, 06:35 PM
Loading my own ammunition and painting.

TechBrute
May 17, 2003, 06:42 PM
Taxidermy.:D
Reloading.
Jerky making.
Old pickups.
Harleys.

Ian
May 17, 2003, 07:17 PM
Bagpiping. Duh...:rolleyes:

cool45auto
May 17, 2003, 07:21 PM
Geek alert:

I collect action figures with guns! Resevoir Dogs, The Matrix, T2 and others. I only get it if it has a gun.

NC Shooter
May 17, 2003, 07:44 PM
Guns, general aviation, woodworking, sailing, and cars.

Schuey2002
May 17, 2003, 07:51 PM
4x4 pickup trucks.

People from countries all over the world (North/Central/South America, Africa,The Middle/Far East,The STAN'S,Iran, Iraq,Kuwait,The Balkans, and on and on..) all agree on one thing..

You can't own a 4x4 vehicle, namely one with Toyota emblems on it (Hilux/Raider/Landcruiser/Prado/Tacoma/4 Runner/Tundra and so on) without owning a gun. The two things just go together.;)

*edit*
Hobbies? You probably wanted a direct answer. Right?

So, I'll clarify by saying.. 4 wheelin'. ;)

CB900F
May 17, 2003, 08:14 PM
Besides the guns?
Motorcycles
Alpine skiing
Model railroading
900F

Mike Irwin
May 17, 2003, 08:28 PM
Reloading.

Cartridge collecting.

Book collecting.

makdaddy03
May 17, 2003, 08:38 PM
Guitars ,Girls.:evil:

general
May 17, 2003, 08:38 PM
Music (Fine Pedulla Basses and SWR Gear)
Audio / Video Equip.
Computers
Numismatics
Watches
Fine Cigars
Fine Adult Beverages
Fine Adult Females:evil:

Jerrywahid
May 17, 2003, 08:39 PM
nothing to see here...

Mastrogiacomo
May 17, 2003, 08:41 PM
Collecting Oakley eyewear.:cool:

Jerrywahid
May 17, 2003, 08:42 PM
nothing to see here...

StuporDave
May 17, 2003, 08:45 PM
Alcohol (ales)
Tobacco (pipes)
and Firearms. :D

Dave

Doc
May 17, 2003, 08:47 PM
What other hobbies go with guns?

ALL OF THEM!:cool:

Doc
May 17, 2003, 08:49 PM
maybe he didn't mean beating HIS OWN wife...:neener:

atek3
May 17, 2003, 08:50 PM
camping
hiking
pyrotechnics
reading

unfortunatly other hobbies are wasteful. The time you spend 'blank'ing is time that could be spent training, shooting, or reloading.

atek3

CAP
May 17, 2003, 08:53 PM
I live to fish.
That and family time.

blades67
May 17, 2003, 09:02 PM
I think your question would be better asked, which hobbies don't go with guns?:D

Schuey2002
May 17, 2003, 09:18 PM
*edit*

Mike has deleted his comment. I, in turn, have deleted the part of that comment that I quoted. ;)

4v50 Gary
May 17, 2003, 09:26 PM
Those of us who know Mike Irwin knows what he means by "wife beating." Mike is too shy to admit that "wife beating" is his wife beating the bejezus out of him. :o It's generally followed by his counter-attack consisting of an incessant barrage of "Yes dear." "Whatever you say dear." "You know what's best for us dear." :D

So what hobbies are natural with guns? Hunting. Reloading. Reading (lots of gun books and perhaps even military history) and a type of collecting most of us never intended to get into: safe collecting.

MeekandMild
May 17, 2003, 10:00 PM
Imagine for a minute, you could be sitting there in a titanium bathtub strapped to a 30 MM Gatling gun upside down over a target with depleted uranium bullets and its all free to the shooter! Now THAT is a hobby. Aviation has it all, hunting, shooting, drinking beer...http://www.af.mil/media/photodb/web/web_021105-O-9999G-024.jpg

Schuey2002
May 17, 2003, 10:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For a minute there I thought it was Lennyjoe that just got done posting.. :D

HBK
May 17, 2003, 10:16 PM
Guns and....................Roses?:D

chaim
May 17, 2003, 10:52 PM
Mine are:

-learning and living Torah (far more than a hobby, it is litererally the reason that G-d put me on Earth)
-reading
-history
-collecting pipes (and blending my own pipe tobacco)
-cigars
-fishing
-I'm about to start reloading (I have almost all my equipment- just need powder and deburring equip)
-listening to music (not much of a hobby, but the stuff around it is- setting up a truely good stereo, owning several hundred CDs)

benEzra
May 17, 2003, 10:58 PM
Physics.
Running.
Small-boat sailing.
Literature and poetry (hence the alias).
Cycling.
Playing with my kids/doing stuff with my family.

Jokerman
May 17, 2003, 11:06 PM
Knitting, Barbie doll collecting, shopping for pocketboks, shoes. The usual.

Crimper-D
May 17, 2003, 11:28 PM
Dremilsmithing, leatherwork/tooling, scrimshaw.
Cajun cooking!:p

556A2
May 17, 2003, 11:31 PM
Fishing, cooking, reading, video games (yeah I'm a geek :) ), and good movies.

WhoKnowsWho
May 17, 2003, 11:56 PM
Radio Control Cars (what?! They are fun!)
Video/computer Games
DVD Watching/buying (Can that be a hobby? Or just collecting? :) )
Reading a lot
Soon to be reloading (I keep on saying that dangit)

Used to be able to do photography in HS.

QuickDraw
May 18, 2003, 01:07 AM
Shooting
Fishing
Camping
Soon to be reloading
Ham radio
Working on restoring(sorta) my 535i (Now THAT takes money!)

QuickDraw

Mike Irwin
May 18, 2003, 01:15 AM
I deleted the offending part.

I shouldn't have posted it -- those of you calling me to task are right.

I was joking, but there's an edge behind the humor.

Even in the depths of the crash and burn part of my marriage I never raised a hand to my ex-wife, but in those moments when we were doing our best to hurt each other as badly as possible mentally I actually got a look at what could cause an otherwise sane person, male or female, to lash out.

May 18, 2003, 01:19 AM
I actually thought is was very funny.

I naturally assumed you meant your wife beating you for buying more guns. I know that in my short marrige, I bought one gun and was brow beaten about it at least once a week for four long miserable years. But I am over that now. :D

Hkmp5sd
May 18, 2003, 10:01 AM
Oddly enough, the issue of buying guns was never a problem between my former spouse and me. She never complained when UPS dropped another one off.

coonan357
May 18, 2003, 10:12 AM
theres other hobbies other than firearms???? hmm . I got to check this out ... :rolleyes: :scrutiny:

Ala Dan
May 18, 2003, 01:28 PM
Greeting's From The Deep South-

Coin collecting! :uhoh: Cuz, it takes a bunch of
them to be able to purchase a firearm.:) :rolleyes:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

michiganfan
May 18, 2003, 02:03 PM
golf. figure if I hone up my shooting skills maybe I can get a few birdies.

4v50 Gary
May 18, 2003, 02:11 PM
michiganfan - do you golf like one fellow I know? He stuffs a BB gun in the bag and knocks/throws the ball towards the quail. Gets close enough to pot one w/the BB gun, pops a beer (the bag also has beer & ice and a few token clubs) and continues with his game of "golf." :D

michiganfan
May 18, 2003, 02:55 PM
I at least have the beer part in common with your buddy

jacketch
May 18, 2003, 04:13 PM
#1- Metalworking, because you can work on guns

#2- Woodworking, because you can work on guns

#3- Reloading, because you can use them in guns

cratz2
May 18, 2003, 04:59 PM
Photography, motorcycles, knives, watches and playing a musical instrument. :p

280PLUS
May 18, 2003, 05:03 PM
i'm still trying to talk some rc jock into souped up fighter vs 12 ga wars...

it all started because near the "shootin' spot" theres an rc plane airfield and them old wise acres is always a buzzin us when they hear us shootin'.

very tempting:evil:

so i went there one day after a round and mentioned the idea to the folks...

cold stares all around for me :uhoh:

another great idea right down the tubes...

buncha chickens...

CB900F
May 18, 2003, 05:51 PM
280Plus;

This wasn't in Casper Wyoming was it? 'Cause there the Nationally Registered RC Model Air Port (notice how important it is)
has the main runway headed directly into the prevailing wind. And also at it's immediate next door neighbor, the skeet club range.

Wait, it gets better. The range is set up so most of the shots are taken at ninety degrees to the prevailing wind, in other words, directly across the line of flight. The separation between the first house on the range & the end of the runway isn't even 100 yards. So, after a few amusing incidents, 55 gal drums painted international orange were put on pylons about 30' high on the border.

Rule #1: If it crosses the barrels, it's fair game. Rule #2: you can't aim the muzzle to point across the line.

I'm told that at times, it gets interesting.
900F

JeepDriver
May 18, 2003, 07:08 PM
4 wheeling and camping.

My 686 is always on my hip or with in easy reach while doing both!

Waitone
May 18, 2003, 08:29 PM
Golf
Reloading
Paying for golf and reloading and shooting.

lionken07
May 18, 2003, 11:00 PM
Knife!!
:evil:

aircarver
May 18, 2003, 11:30 PM
AIRPLANES !! :D

Darrin
May 18, 2003, 11:44 PM
Guns (duh)
Listening to music (Buy CD or buy ammo? :uhoh: )
Playing music (Bass guitar)
Audio Systems (Big mixing boards by Mackie, yum)
Photography (However poor it is...)
Mountain Biking (Just, not on mountains...)
Telecommunications (Work is just a hobby, right?)
Computer networks (Home network isn't bad at all)
Collecting Tins (Norman Rockwell art, candy and Coka Cola)

Who has time to date? :confused:

:D ;)

Bonker
May 19, 2003, 12:46 AM
Food (eating)

Family

Church

Video Games

Going to every high school event I can squeeze in to show support for my students

Drinking coffee with the old men at the corner coffee shop every morning

Home repair and upgrades

Hot-rod cars

Posting on THR when I can't sleep :)

funbob
May 19, 2003, 01:16 AM
In no particular order...

Paintball
Photography
Automobiles - racing and working on them
Computers
Cycling
General Aviation
Spending way too much time at the bar drinking, playing darts, and shooting pool :)

badgerrr
May 19, 2003, 02:15 AM
Canoeing and Kayaking!

Them critters can get you into a lotta places (quietly) not easily accessed by others........so you'll have a better chance to use them guns you brought along. ;)

280PLUS
May 19, 2003, 09:37 AM
no, its in little ol' ellington, connecticut but that is an interesting trade off they have there i casper

sctman800
May 19, 2003, 10:16 AM
Canoeing, fishing, woodworking, International Scout,reloading, pretty much takes up my spare time. I didn't include Harley Davidsons because that is not a hobby it is a way of life.

Betty
May 19, 2003, 10:58 AM
OT.

If you enjoyed reading about "What other hobbies go w/ guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!