S&W cylinder disassembly

PDA

TT
October 25, 2006, 02:57 PM
I’m planning to send the cylinder of my S&W 442 in for refinishing. I know how to remove the cylinder/crane assembly from the frame, but how do I remove the cylinder from the crane? Didn’t have any luck searching for ‘S&W’ + ‘cylinder’ + ‘disassembly’- got an error page.

Thanks,
Ted

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W cylinder disassembly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jaybar
October 25, 2006, 03:24 PM
To remove the cylinder from the crane - hold the crane with your left hand, hold the rear of the cylinder with your right hand and pull. It slides right off.

TT
October 25, 2006, 03:31 PM
Ah! Thanks! :)

Standing Wolf
October 25, 2006, 10:14 PM
The bigger the hammer, the sooner you'll get it apart.

TT
October 26, 2006, 12:49 AM
Well, when all you have is a hammer, etc, etc… :eek:

Was that a warning against hapless hacks disassembling their revos, or is it really hard to separate the cylinder from the crane?:confused:

bpisler
October 26, 2006, 06:57 AM
It should slide right off unless it's real dirty
then it might stick a little.

Standing Wolf
October 26, 2006, 10:32 PM
Was that a warning against hapless hacks disassembling their revos, or is it really hard to separate the cylinder from the crane?

That was mostly tongue in cheek. I've been hanging out with a couple gunsmiths at work. One's a geezer my age. The other's fresh out of gunsmithing school. Both jest about needing bigger hammers.

That said™, the one time I encountered a J frame revolver with a stuck cylinder, I couldn't get it open for love nor money. The senior gunsmith looked it over about 15 seconds, then gave the cylinder a good whack with a non-metallic mallet. Presto!

TT
October 27, 2006, 02:29 PM
I don't think I have the guts to whack the cylinder with a hammer! :eek:

If it sticks I'll just file it off... :o

Jim K
October 27, 2006, 05:59 PM
Probably late, but I would remove the cylinder from the crane, but NOT disassemble the cylinder. Let the person who is refinishing the cylinder do that; he probably has the right tools.

Jim

TT
October 30, 2006, 12:27 PM
Sounds like good advice, Jim. The cylinder assembly came right out. It's getting shipped to Mac's Shooting Irons today. Thanks to everyone for their help. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W cylinder disassembly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!