Lowest Caliber You Would Use For Self Defense

PDA

EdLaver
October 25, 2006, 05:50 PM
What's the lowest caliber you would use for self defensive purposes?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lowest Caliber You Would Use For Self Defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sjones63
October 25, 2006, 05:54 PM
.22 if thats all I had,otherwise my ultra carry .45 sj

gbelleh
October 25, 2006, 07:45 PM
I voted .32 because I've been known to go out armed only with my P-32, especially in the summer heat.

salvador31c
October 25, 2006, 07:50 PM
I belive i could do some damage in a SD sitiuation with a 22lr to the head. no mater the caliber if i'm using Deadly Force Might as well go for the head shot right just to make sure

SIRVEYR666
October 25, 2006, 07:50 PM
I voted for .22LR (that's as small as you went), but I'd use the friggin' "pointy rock in hand" caliber if that was all I had.:D

I'm kind of a scrapper. I'll fight as dirty as needed.:evil:

Bazooka Joe71
October 25, 2006, 07:53 PM
I guess I'm not totally sure, but I don't think you guys understood his question...I think a better way to state the question would be, if you had ALL of those calibers, what is the smallest you would use for, say CCW.

9mm for me

10-Ring
October 25, 2006, 08:05 PM
I have what I call my false sense of security :D My 25 caliber Beretta :scrutiny:

salvador31c
October 25, 2006, 08:18 PM
I guess I'm not totally sure, but I don't think you guys understood his question...I think a better way to state the question would be, if you had ALL of those calibers, what is the smallest you would use for, say CCW.
well in that case i could live with 9mm as an every day gun

I voted for .22LR (that's as small as you went), but I'd use the friggin' "pointy rock in hand" caliber if that was all I had.

I'm kind of a scrapper. I'll fight as dirty as needed

:neener: i second that haha

kokapelli
October 25, 2006, 08:46 PM
Ha! Ha! If a 22cal was all I had, you bet I'd use it, but I would prefer at least a 380acp.

ugaarguy
October 25, 2006, 08:57 PM
I voted for the 380 ACP, since my Kel-Tec P3AT is my current "in the neck holster t-shirt and gym shorts gun." In all honesty if I ever get a hand or wrist injury that limits what I can handle I'd be out shooting ping pong balls with a 22lr J Frame or SP-101, or a 32 ACP CZ-83. I must admit that I have this strange desire for a Baby Browning (25 ACP) though, and I'd probably carry it too. All that to say the P3AT is the biggest small gun I can carry when other options just aren't practical. Tailor the gun to the need and carry the largest caliber that you can comfortably handle in that size package. Another example; if I'm ever around small children with frequency, in a low threat environment, a 3" bbl J-Frame "kit gun" in 22lr or 32 S&W may well find a home in my safe since the soft report will be less likely to damage sensitive little ears. Like I said, fit the gun to the parameters of the situation.

wally
October 25, 2006, 09:10 PM
Rule #1 of a gunfight: Have a gun!

If .25 is all I could carry I'd use it, but now days, with the Kel-Tec P3AT there is no real reason to go below .380. I voted .25 as I don't think .22lr is ever reliable enough in a small gun for SD useage -- story is JMB invented the .25ACP *because* he couldn't make .22lr reliable in very small guns.

--wally.

Socrates
October 25, 2006, 09:20 PM
22 short.
6-8 inches in rats. With proper shot placement, it would hurt...

Some gun is better then your hands...
S

Alan Fud
October 25, 2006, 09:34 PM
The first rule is to have a gun because ANY caliber beats NO caliber.

Now, "What is the Lowest Caliber that I would feel COMFORTABLE using for Self Defense?" is an entirely different question. The answer to that question would be a .38 and/or a 9mm.

doncameron
October 25, 2006, 09:39 PM
I voted for .22 because with the Walther P22 and 10 rounds,
I can place 10 in a 4" circle from 20 feet....rapid fire

main choice is .45 EAA witness with 10 rounds in the mag.

nitesite
October 25, 2006, 09:45 PM
I voted .38 Special but technically that's .357" caliber and a 9mm is .355" caliber so I guess I should have voted for 9mm. :p

My S&W 442 is the smallest I will go these days. There was a time I carried a North American Arms Guardian .32 ACP but no more. ;)

M2 Carbine
October 25, 2006, 09:51 PM
If it's just a simple choice of a 45ACP or something smaller, I'd chose the biggest.

But in fact, do to how I dress I'm usually carrying a Kel Tec 380.

The Lone Haranguer
October 25, 2006, 09:53 PM
In a primary defense gun, .38 Spl. for a revolver, 9mm Luger for a pistol.

orionengnr
October 25, 2006, 09:56 PM
I carry a minimum of 9mm or 38 spl, although I am currently considering a P3AT

weregunner
October 25, 2006, 09:59 PM
Didn't vote for various reasons. Here goes. If carrying the 45 or 9mm. Ruger. A 38 snub or Makarov is the backup gun to the main one. If summer and the 357 revolver is carried the 38 snub or Mak gets the chore as backup. If really hot, the 38 snub is main and the 22 or 25 is back up. If carrying one gun, will go no lower in caliber than the Makarov 9 by 18 round or 38. And the Mak round isn't in the poll. Different conditions, different mix of cartridges.

crunker
October 25, 2006, 10:03 PM
.22, since if I have little money then I know I can still be safe.

gandog56
October 26, 2006, 12:00 AM
9 mm, but only if my .45 wasn't loaded and on the nightstand like it is.

aspen1964
October 26, 2006, 12:14 AM
..I don't like to denigrate even the smallest of calibers and guns because there are purposes for these as well...but that said, for a small, light round I like the 32 automatic...WITH a decent length barrel...so, I chose the Colt 1903 as my favorite pocket-gun...it gets the most speed out of this cartridge...

Steel Talon
October 26, 2006, 12:28 AM
9x18 for me is the minimum.

Peace
Steel Talon:cool:

hexidismal
October 26, 2006, 12:30 AM
I voted .380

I feel I should comment on that though. I carry a .45 every day (P345D), and I wouldn't really feel comfortable with anything less. I honestly don't even trust my life to my 9mms if I can help it. Every so often though my bersa fits the bill more appropriately for a sensitive carry occasion. I don't know if I really believe my 380 is fully reliable for self defense, but in accordance with the thread topic I had to say that it is the lowest caliber I would carry .. but only when I have to.
So.. Primary: .45acp, .357mag, or larger. Backup: Nothing less than .380

Poll poster left some things out though .. what about going bigger ? I'd be willing to bet that there have to be a few people around here that carry a S&W.500 and wouldn't budge an inch:)

EdLaver
October 26, 2006, 01:18 PM
I chose .380 acp purely because my lil Bersa .380 loaded with corbon Pow'Rball 70 grain gets like 1200fps and I have seen SERIOUS damage done with the bersa/Powerball combination on fruits and small slabs of semi-frozen meat. I would be very confindent in it if I had a fire fight using it. It is also my smallest pistol caliber that I own. I do have a .17 rimfire rifle for those pesky squirrels that feast on my beloved pear tree.

Hypnogator
October 26, 2006, 03:42 PM
A .22 in the pocket will stop a fight a lot faster than a .44 Magnum out in the car! ;)

Big Calhoun
October 26, 2006, 03:54 PM
Hey, no .40 S&W! That is the smallest I go for handguns. A sizeable and controllable round. Love shooting the .40!

Manedwolf
October 26, 2006, 04:05 PM
I have what I call my false sense of security My 25 caliber Beretta

Practice with it a lot, and realize that once you do, you can rapid-fire the thing with nine rounds into a small group so quickly that it sounds almost like full-auto. Last test someone posted on here with ball had over 14" penetration in gelatin.

Then you feel better about it. Good little gun. IMO, the best of that caliber ever made.

ronto
October 26, 2006, 04:18 PM
38 Special....With a +P at the end.

mpmarty
October 26, 2006, 04:28 PM
I assumed (ya know what that does) the minimum POWER that would be acceptable to me in a carry round and for that reason picked the .38 special as in its 125gr plus p loading it exceeds the 9mm and I would NEVER stoop to packing a wimpy nine.... well maybe my makarov once in a while... or a compact SIG 9 or or or oh hell if it came down to it I've been known to go out armed only with a long gun and no pistol at all.

BOOM-BOOM
October 26, 2006, 04:36 PM
The smallest I would use is the one I'm carrying, and that's a 45.. makes sence to me that if I would use a small caliber, I'd carry a smaller caliber.. My night stand weapon is a 12 gauge with .00 buck...... Its me and My family. why would I depend on something that might stop them(the BG) when I KNOW what I have WILL STOP THEM..... I'm not trying to wound anyone that could get me and mine killed.. I'm going to blow the sucker away before he does me.

Anna's Dad
October 26, 2006, 05:25 PM
I put .32 because living in FL, I usually only have my P-32. I would -prefer- to have 9mm or better, but I haven't found anything small enough in 9mm except the Rohrbaugh R9 and I can't spend $1k on a gun any time soon.

I know I could get the P3AT, but I'm not convinced its that much more effective than the P-32 with the right ammo and I really don't want another caliber in the collection (don't have any .380) at all right now.

If it proves to be reliable, I'm hoping the SKYY MPX-9 (when and IF it ever comes out) will allow me to bump to 9mm as a daily carry.

For home defense, its .45 ACP all the way.

kokapelli
October 26, 2006, 05:29 PM
How does 32cal work on those gators in Florida?:uhoh:
-
:) :) :)

Glockfan.45
October 26, 2006, 05:42 PM
voted for .22 because with the Walther P22 and 10 rounds

Yes looking at this gun it looks like it was designed with self defence in mind. I voted for the .45, but I imagine if I were allowed to carry (see location :barf: ) I would not feel too bad about having a little pocket gun like the P22 if it were all I could conceal on hot days. It gets awful hot & humid here in the summer, and I wouldnt were big clothes on a 101 degree day with 80% humidity just to conceal a larger gun. I think a .22 stinger at close range would discourage any B/G.

Shifty
October 26, 2006, 06:58 PM
this is silly. if you had a magical gun that could fire reliably with any of those rounds, which would you choose?

duh.

a rifle

IMHO pistols should always be last resort weapons.

but i'd take a .45.

MrTwigg
October 26, 2006, 07:44 PM
For defense start with calibers which begin with a "4". For me, .40 S&W, out of a Glock 22. 15 +1, followed by two more 15 rounders' as back up's.

But, is 46 rounds enough ? :scrutiny:

bigcim
October 26, 2006, 07:59 PM
compound bow if its all i had

Ops Officer
October 26, 2006, 08:29 PM
I keep the S&W 642 loaded with +P JHP. That is what is available for my wife, which is where she is with her handgunning right now. Everything else is a .45 ACP with various loads, normally Speer Gold Dot. Though 230 gr. FMJ is what I use for a reliable feed in my SIG GSR Revolution, various JHP loads are what I like to use for tactical loads in pistols and revolvers. I am more accurate with a .45 ACP than any other caliber. So, though I voted for .38 Spl because of the snubby, the gun I would grab would be filled with .45 ACP for shot placement as well as the effectiveness of this caliber.

kengrubb
October 26, 2006, 08:56 PM
I carry .40 S&W, but I suppose if I had to I could get by on a .38--which is what I voted.

A semiauto pistol is what I'm comfortable concealing on a daily basis, but something belt fed weapon would give me complete comfort.
:evil:

SSN Vet
October 26, 2006, 08:57 PM
I hadn't shot any of the "small calibers" prior to making my CCW decisions...so I did a lot of reading and went with the seemingly large consensus....

In a primary defense gun, .38 Spl. for a revolver, 9mm Luger for a pistol.

have had a chance to shoot .380 auto since, and it certainly wasn't a pop gun....

I think if .380 enables you to pocket carry and thus be armed more of the time, it's a viable selection.

P.S. Thanks to all on THR for sharing your experience and helping me to get a clue!

KD5NRH
October 26, 2006, 09:11 PM
Great; more big-bore bigotry.

Where's the good old .17Remington when you need it?

.357 magnum
October 26, 2006, 09:22 PM
I am strictly a .45 and .40 man---soooo I felt left out when a .40sw was not listed. That is low as I would go. I had to vote the .45acp was the end all of all calibers. Quite honestly I feel my Springfield XD tactical .45acp with 230 gr Hydra-Shoks sitting on the night stand with a 13 shot mag one in the chamber and my .40 cal Taurus 24/7 with a 15 round mag and 165gr Remington Golden Sabers [one in the chamber also] as back up. Make me sleep so much better. Of course I always have been a light sleeper and my German Shepherd makes things even that much better! She won't let anyone come close to the house without growling and barking and coming to get me, awesome dog!

Best to all!

wrangler5
October 26, 2006, 11:13 PM
Every now and then I have to go to a formal party. Whether black tie or white tie, a Baby Browning is my pocket gun of choice, since (a) I have one, and (b) nothing else fits as discreetly in the pocket of formal pants. For all other occasions, though, it's a 380 in the pocket in the summer (KelTec) and a Makarov IWB or in a shoulder holster the rest of the year, when I can wear a sweater or jacket to cover it.

jlh26oo
October 27, 2006, 12:11 AM
.38 is the absolute lowest I'd go. Of course if I only had the option of a .22, I'd take it. Who wouldn't.

Yeah I see that. But I can honestly imagine scenarios where I'd feel more confident going hand-to-hand vs pulling a .22; where I otherwise might have drawn with a defensive caliber.

If I have to defend myself, the attacker(s) probably has a weapon. I'll NEVER have to shoot someone that's taking me on man to man, unless they're so big I'd not have ANY kind of confidence with a .22 anyways. So they either have some kind of weapon, or are considerably bigger/badder than I, or on PCP. Any of the above needs a substantial caliber imo.

My caliber basement is 9mm, ymmv.

VMIRat1995
October 27, 2006, 12:27 AM
...a Smith & Wesson .500 Magnum. 'nough said.

Geronimo45
October 27, 2006, 12:29 AM
I'd take a .22 as a minimum... or .25. Somehow, I have a strange affinity for .32... especially since the CZ83 has 15 rounds in a compact-9mm-sized package. The .22 is my minimum carry threshhold (sp).
I like .32... it's an odd round - a strange combination of a rimmed and non-rimmed cartridge, apparently. Varies between European and US ammo makers. May be the minimum viable SD round. It took out Archduke Ferdinand and his wife... starting the first world war.
Strange round for a strange feller (me).

Borachon
October 27, 2006, 12:31 AM
9x18 Makarov....blessed by a Hoodoo witch woman with alternative "Soul Distruct" feature.

(Hey!...if they're worth shooting once; they're worth whumpin' on spiritually!)

cyco668
October 27, 2006, 07:32 AM
10mm or .357. That's what I own and that's what I like. In self defence, I'd use a slingshot or blowgun if i had to.

Lonestar
October 27, 2006, 09:12 AM
While I believe any round will kill, I voted for the .32 ACP, I carried a Beretta Tomcat for years before I got a Kel Tec P3at.

My shooting buddies and I got into this discussion and here is a good exercise for you guys.

For $10 million dollars (and lets say you definately need the money, or your child need a special surgery to live and this is the only way to pay for it) you need to take One Shot in the COM from let us say 25 feet away, and you must be alive to collect the money. You pick the caliber and the weapon, and once you are shot you are immediately rushed to ER of a top hospital to remove the bullet.

Most guys ruled out all centerfire rifle rounds, all the shotgun buckshots round regardless of the gauge, and handgun rounds 9mm and above.

I personally voted for Birdshot, .17 .22 short, long and .22 LR coming out of a pistol only.

the .22LR, .32 and the .380 rounds were hotly debated. Some feared the lowly .22lr for it's ability to bounce around in your chest cavity.

I'm not saying you cannot kill a human with these rounds, but I do have confidence that with proper medical attention, there is a real high, one-shot survival rate.

Dr. Dickie
October 27, 2006, 09:52 AM
"How does 32cal work on those gators in Florida?"

We use them on Dogs, not Gators.:neener:
GO GATORS!!

Sorry, it is Florida-Georgia weekend.
UF alumni

Cowboybootnut
October 27, 2006, 10:00 AM
.380 ACP, normally

But if you have seen the videos of President Reagan's assasination attempt, a .22 LR stopped 3 people in their tracks.

Shawnee
October 27, 2006, 10:05 AM

Ever been shot in the face from about 20 ft by a B*B gun ?

Once will delay you and twice will delay you enough for someone to take your Glock away from you.

:eek:

BOOM-BOOM
October 27, 2006, 10:49 AM
I can-t believe some of the stuff I'm reading here..you think a 22 or a BB gun is going to save your life, or your wife from being raped....This isn't a game, and the ideal isn't which is the easyest gun to carry, but what is going to put the bad guy down before he GETS YOU. 99.9% of the time its going to be late at night. a dim lite area, and its going to happen pretty quick.

You are not going to have time to take a stance, aim, take a deep breath, and squeze the trigger. Its going to be grab your gun point and shoot..

Now you're telling me that you'll bet your live on a 22, 25, 32, 380..ect at about 15 to 25 yds... Because that is excatly what you are doing.

I carry a 45 with me, yes it is a little heaverier then a 9mm and I my have to change the way I dress a little to cover it up. But I am very confident that I am PROTECTED.

I can't believe that shawnee thinks he/she is going to take a BB GUN double tap the bad guy in the face and disarm them...I'm sorry but I'm still laughing.

I don't think most of you take this, threating of loosing your life serious enough..

People their are bad guys out there that wants to kill you, rape you. and if you think a 22 is going to stop them..... well think again...get real of that mouse gun and get some protection.anything under a 9mm is a mouse gun. IMHO.

Shawnee
October 27, 2006, 11:02 AM
Hi Boom-Boom...

I may be the only one around who believes there are ways to protect oneself in addition to a firearm. But I kinda doubt it. One thing I will guarantee you - if I am approached by someone with a gun, my being unarmed is not going to stop me from defending myself.

Local opinions may vary. :)

stevelyn
October 27, 2006, 11:08 AM
Whatever is handy when I need it.;)

BOOM-BOOM
October 27, 2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Shawnee,

Nothing personal directerd at you, I was just saying I won't want to have to depend of a BB gun. you May very well be trained in self-defense where as I and most other people are not.

All I'm trying to point out here is that if you carry a weapon, make sure the weapon is one that will protect you.

kokapelli
October 27, 2006, 11:20 AM
I can-t believe some of the stuff I'm reading here..you think a 22 or a BB gun is going to save your life, or your wife from being raped....This isn't a game, and the ideal isn't which is the easyest gun to carry, but what is going to put the bad guy down before he GETS YOU. 99.9% of the time its going to be late at night. a dim lite area, and its going to happen pretty quick.

You are not going to have time to take a stance, aim, take a deep breath, and squeze the trigger. Its going to be grab your gun point and shoot..

Now you're telling me that you'll bet your live on a 22, 25, 32, 380..ect at about 15 to 25 yds... Because that is excatly what you are doing.

I carry a 45 with me, yes it is a little heaverier then a 9mm and I my have to change the way I dress a little to cover it up. But I am very confident that I am PROTECTED.

I can't believe that shawnee thinks he/she is going to take a BB GUN double tap the bad guy in the face and disarm them...I'm sorry but I'm still laughing.

I don't think most of you take this, threating of loosing your life serious enough..

People their are bad guys out there that wants to kill you, rape you. and if you think a 22 is going to stop them..... well think again...get real of that mouse gun and get some protection.anything under a 9mm is a mouse gun. IMHO

What I can not understand is why there are so many people that think the 45cal is a magic bullet that will cause a BG to immediately lose consciousness, that will never fail, that will always work, even "late at night. a dim lite area" and anything smaller is useless!

IMO, any caliber that will punch a hole clean through a BG, and a 380 will, and if the shot is in the right place, it is going to be effective, unless the BG is high on drugs.

Shawnee
October 27, 2006, 12:01 PM
Hi Boom-Boom...

No offense taken, Boom-Boom, and certainly none meant... and you're right - if a person is going to carry they really should stay with the rounds that have at least something like a proven track record. Personally, I like the .44 Special and .45 Auto. I just get worried when I think people are depending on their gun to be their only defense.
A female friend of mine noticed someone following her one day. When she pulled into her driveway - they did too, and jumped out threatening her with a large S&W revolver - and thinking just the sight of the gun would make her "surrender" imnmediately. She slapped the guy's gunhand and, at the same time, put a sharp fingernail in each of his eyes. Then wrenched his gun away from him and cracked him on the head with the gun butt so hard he needed an ambulance. Auburndale, Florida about 1999. My point, I guess, is that Courage is a lot more important than Caliber. :cool:

Hi Koka...

Gun guys, as you know, can be pretty opinionated and brand/caliber loyal.
A lot of posts on this subject come off sounding a tad more emphatic than they really are meant, I think. Just because someone says: "My favorite is (fill in the blank)" doesn't mean they intend an affront to someone else's honor.
As you say - use whatcha got. :)

BryanP
October 27, 2006, 12:16 PM
.22lr is the smallest caliber I own. I'd use it for self defense in a pinch, so that's what I voted for.

Given a choice I'd go for either the .357 or the .45.

Strike that. Given a choice I'd grab the 12ga.

BOOM-BOOM
October 27, 2006, 12:28 PM
Ok, let me take this time to apologies for anything I my or my not have said.

Its just that not long ago I read a thread by a Mortician ( X-lawman) and he spoke of the reality and damage that differant bullets did in the bodies he viewed. I use to carry a 9mm, but after reading his thread I have since carried a 45cal.

I wish I could relocate the site I read this on, If I can I'll post it and let you all make up your own minds.. It is in deed very interesting reading..

Shifty
October 27, 2006, 01:25 PM
so the consensus seems to be whatever is available, but most of us would like a pocket portable 155mm howitzer. am i right?

.50bmg derringer?

dasmi
October 27, 2006, 01:29 PM
Whatever is handy at the time.

scurtis_34471
October 27, 2006, 01:54 PM
I think it comes down to the right tool for the right job. I got a .22 for developing marksmanship and a .380 for hot weather pocket carry. My next will probably be either a 9mm or a .45 for holster carry, followed by whatever larger caliber my wife is comfortable carrying and shooting. The gun should fit the shooter and a big gun is not always practical. Some people can't shoot them well and its not practical to try to hide a .45 when you're wearing shorts and a T-Shirt.

NORTEXED
October 27, 2006, 01:55 PM
I routinely carry my P 32 most of the year, simply because anything bigger is a problem to hide, and in Texas letting someone see your "UN" concealed , concealed piece can cost you your license. It's my gun to carry when I wouldn't otherwise carry. I have no delusions about it dropping someone in their tracks, but it will most certainly distract them long enough for me (and family) to leave the area. I have discussed this with them extensively, and they know to take whatever action I direct them to in a bad situation. My goal is not to stay and shoot it out with someone, if there is another alternative. Clothing appropriate, I will carry either my P11 or Combat Commander, but that's not often. A major part of self defense is also avoiding bad situations (which I practice religiously). I do have CCWacquaintances that seem to seek out those situations, (notice I said acquaintances), and that's not me. I have serious doubt that anything under .50 BMG is a 1-shot manstopper, guaranteed, so it's all a case of weighing options and risks, right :)

Ares45
October 27, 2006, 02:22 PM
.25 and .22LR but no .40S&W/10mm? WTH? Flawed premise?

Statistics show 80% of all handgun wounds are survivable. .25cal doesn't help much then does it? The bigger the better, IMO.

hso
October 27, 2006, 02:31 PM
Not well stated since any gun is better than no gun and I doubt anyone would ignore a .22 in their hand if pressed to use it.

I don't go below .38 voluntarily. I carry .380, 9 or .45. My wife carries .380 or 9 or .40.

possum
October 27, 2006, 07:50 PM
i would use 9mm but no less than that, unless i didn't have a choice!:)

BobMcG
October 27, 2006, 08:58 PM
...to me it comes down to two categories though. It depends on if I decide to carry a pistol or a revolver.

Pistol: I've carried my .380 often but carry my .40S&W most of the time. I wouldn't buy a .22 for a CC weapon.

Revolver: Having the choice between a 2.5" .38 and a 4" .38 or a 2.5" .357 and a 4" .357... When in the mood for carrying a 2.5" piece, I'd carry the .38 with +Ps in it. When in the mood for 4" carry, I'd choose the .357.

I never carried one of my .22 revolvers as a CCW.

Jim PHL
October 27, 2006, 09:19 PM
I used to have a Kel-Tec P32. When the .380 came out I traded up to that. Nothing carries better than that Kel-Tec and mine was accurate and reliable. I grew less confident over time with a .380 and have since decided I will go no lower than a .38, preferring a heavier bullet in a +P loading. I even prefer a heavy non-+P .38 hollowpoint to any .380 or smaller bullet.

Yes, it is easier to carry the P3AT, but my 342 is not a brick and I've been able to carry it pretty much whenever and wherever I wanted without being detected.

(All that said, I DO feel better armed with my .45 when mode of dress allows belt carry, but when deeper concealment is required-an underlying point in this thread-nothing less than a j-frame in the pocket.)

RBS
October 28, 2006, 11:39 AM
I never leave home w/o my SA 1911 Micro. I heard one time "never go to a gun fight with anything that don't start with a .4"

Blacklabman
October 28, 2006, 01:07 PM
The lowest?

9mm

Hobie
October 28, 2006, 01:11 PM
I would use what was to hand. I carry a .38 Spec, .357 or .45 ACP specifically for the purpose. I often have my .45 Colt New Vaquero to hand.

BevrFevr
October 29, 2006, 12:10 PM
if it was all I had. I voted .22.

There are lots of options not in this poll. I would not turn my nose up at a .410 derringer, .357 sig, 7.62x25, 38 super, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

What do I think is as close to perfect as you can get in a handgun caliber for self defense you ask? Well, hands down it is the .357 magnum.

It stands head and antlers above the rest if you ask me. I love .44mag and .45 acp and 9mm etc. but .357 is the perfect blend of penetration, power, accuracy and controlabilty.

But hey what do I know. -bevr

B yond
October 29, 2006, 02:05 PM
Took an intro to forensics class with a great instructor. He showed us pictures of a guy that was shot point-blank between the eyes with a .22 (probably a short) where the bullet rode around to the back of his head between the scalp and skull and popped out. It looked like he'd been shot through the head but the round never penetrated his skull. :what: If memory serves me correctly he beat the snot out of the guy who shot him.

Same instructor showed us an x-ray of a man's pelvis with a .22 stuck right up against the bone. That guy was some would-be rapist who was stopped in his tracks with one shot. From what I hear it's all but impossible to walk with any kind of trauma to the pelvis. :eek:

Since that class I tell myself to aim for the pelvis, no matter what caliber I'm using. If a .22 there can stop a full-grown man, anything bigger surely can too. :scrutiny:

Of course, if the guy's got a gun a shot to the pelvis won't affect his trigger finger, but it'd stop him from moving around so you'd have the option of taking some well-placed follow-up shots.

For the record; the smallest caliber I'd use in self defense is the one I had available.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lowest Caliber You Would Use For Self Defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!