Do I want a Beretta Cheetah?

PDA

Lone_Gunman
October 25, 2006, 09:40 PM
I was at a local shop and they have a NIB nickel plated Beretta Cheetah that for some reason I was strangely drawn to. I don't need another auto, let alone one in 380 that seems large for the caliber, and I am no big fan of DA/SA actions either.

I am not sure I would carry it, and probably wouldn't use it for home defense.

So basically, I don't need it, but for some reason I still want it. I like the way it looks.

Are nickel Cheetahs still in production? I can't tell from Beretta's website.

Do they have any kind of built in lock? I won't buy it if it has some kind of built in lock like a Smith and Wesson.

Does it have a magazine disconnect safety?

What are the highest capacity mags available for it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do I want a Beretta Cheetah?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
October 25, 2006, 10:19 PM
Is it the model 85 or model 86 "Cheetah"?

Bought one for my wife that was the model 86 I believe, it has 8 round single stack mag and the tip up barrel so she never has to rack the slide to load/unload. Its DA/SA but lacks a decocker, although it has an ambi thumb safety for cocked and locked. It was a real boon to getting my wife her CHL and she loves the gun. Broke my heart to pay $450 for a durn .380! It does have a magazine disconnect safety, but no locks.

Being large for the caliber is why it has such low recoil, but being blowback, I think it stings the hand more than say a CZ75 9mm. My wife agreed once she shot both outdoors in open air, under a shade roof the much greater muzzle blast had her convinced the 9mm was a handful.

--wally.

Alan Fud
October 25, 2006, 10:29 PM
The double-stack ones are worth it. 14 rounds of .380ACP beats five rounds of .38's or .357's out of a J-frame ESPECIALLY when faced with multiple attackers.

Minator
October 25, 2006, 10:34 PM
Get it..............ChuckyB enjoyed his :cool:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/Cannibal777/paulkersey.jpg

The Lone Haranguer
October 25, 2006, 10:48 PM
Which model is it? I may have mentioned a couple of times;) that I have a Model 86, the 8-round tipup barrel version. It differs from the 84 and 85 in having a magazine safety and no decocker but can be carried "cocked and locked." I got it because, well, I just liked it. It is a collector/"fun" gun, beautifully made, accurate and fun to shoot. I don't use it for carry or home defense because it is an 8-round .380 the same size as a Glock 19, a 15-shot full-powered 9mm Luger.

Regarding magazine capacity, the 84 has a 13-round, while the 85 and 86 have 8-rounders.

If you like this gun and you have the money without neglecting other needs, buy it. Not everything we buy has to have a practical use. ;)

sicario103
October 25, 2006, 11:00 PM
I have a Beretta 84FS (.380). Though, it used to be my primary gun, now is a backup for my 92 but I still love it. And yes, it has a safety decocker and it's 13+1.

weregunner
October 25, 2006, 11:04 PM
Don't need to answer this. Have a wife or girlfriend? Or both?:rolleyes: Give her the Cheetah. Besides, if you use one for defense you will need another to replace the one that is now evidence and gone to the Property Room in the Twilight Zone.:what: :D Don't you just love excuses and practical reasons to get another toy?:D :) Or do it it just because you can, but only if the budget allows it:banghead:

HuntAndFish
October 25, 2006, 11:24 PM
Before you buy it, make sure you look at the sights. Those on my 84FS have a single white middle dot on the rear and a single white dot on the front. Its very difficult for me to acquire a proper sight picture with it. I'm going to have to get a different rear sight.

XLMiguel
October 25, 2006, 11:34 PM
I had a model 85 Cheetah that was realy sweet (blued with walnut grips). Soft shooter (as blow-backs go), accurate, good trigger, good ergonomics, very well made, I'm sorry I sold it. The longer barrel makes the most of the .380, and the size/weight makes it an easy gun to shoot fast & well. Though big for a .380, it's not that big, makes a decent CCW.

chaim
October 25, 2006, 11:47 PM
A few years ago a local shop had a few nickel Cheetahs with wood grips. They may be the most beautiful handgun on the market. I REALLY wanted that gun, but it was a lot of money and at the time I felt there were other niches in my "collection" that needed filled before I'd spend that much money on such a large .380. Now I can't find a local dealer that sells them and I haven't seen one in a few years. It is the gun that I most regret having never bought. BUY IT.

Old Dog
October 26, 2006, 12:22 AM
Ah, so it's not just me. For years, I also have found the .380 Berettas to be quite aesthetically pleasing and somehow strangely alluring ... I concur with Chaim -- get it. Mine is blue; still seeking that elusive nickeled model. Even if you never carry it and rarely shoot it, there's a place in every pistol aficionado's collection for these extremely well made, reliable and attractive pieces ...

usp9
October 26, 2006, 09:31 AM
The Cheetah Model 85 is still in production. The high capacity model is the 84 and I think that one is out of production, but I'm not positive. These are some of the most asthetically pleasing handguns ever made. These are my two. The nickel one is a model 84f that has seen much use and the black one is a new 85fs that's only digested 350 rounds. Both operate flawlessly.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/TwoBerettas.jpg

The only difference between them is the grip thickness. Otherwise they are exact twins. These are very well made firearms that you will pass on to your kids some day, and are bound to be Classics in the future.

Lone_Gunman
October 26, 2006, 10:34 AM
How is the recoil of the high capacity cheetah compared to that of a Glock 19 or similar sized 9mm?

How is recoil compared to a small frame 38 special revolver?

Protein anchor
October 26, 2006, 11:14 AM
Can you just pop that into loose fitting jeans or a winter coat pocket? Thanks, :)

Flopsy
October 26, 2006, 02:19 PM
Yes, you want the Cheetah. I wanted the Cheetah. The Cheetah is my primary carry.

My 84F (not FS, not really sure the difference) will hold 13+1 or 10+1 depending on the mag. I got mine used, was born in 1995, and does not malfunction. The thing is accurate and completely reliable. It has a good intuitive decocking safety that clicks off like a 1911, and I have no problem carrying it chambered unlike my Glock.

I hear people say that it's a little large for a .380, well, it's not THAT large, it conceals very well, and its recoil seems pretty light to me by virtue of the added bulk. Besides, its size is a tradeoff - I don't know of any other .380 that can hold 14 rounds. I don't pocket carry it as I think that might be awkward due to its grip angle, but it is slim enough for very comfortable IWB.

Get it.

Lone_Gunman
October 26, 2006, 03:08 PM
How do you think the recoil compares to that of say a Glock 19?

gbelleh
October 26, 2006, 09:26 PM
I got a nice 1993 production Beretta 84 with wood grips a few month ago and have been carrying it for the last couple months. It's a great little gun. It conceals well, recoil is mild. The quality is outstanding, accuracy is very good and it's beautiful to look at. I have no regrets about buying this one.

wrentree
December 23, 2006, 11:41 PM
Bought the 84FS in November. 13+1 mag, pretty nickel finish.
Shot well and accurate. Had to help the slide once on Wolfe ammo.
No stove pipes, though. No recoil.
Remington 88gr JHP reliable. Haven't tried the CorBon loads yet.
Planning on making it one of my CC's.

One of the best looking guns, I've even encountered.:cool:

Pilot
December 24, 2006, 07:12 AM
I have an 85FS which is single stack, 8+1 capacity. Its a little slimmer than the double stack. Its a bit snappy in recoil, but not bad at all. I enjoy shooting and carrying the little Italian .380.

don95sml
December 24, 2006, 07:16 PM
Well, if a handgun design can be called sexy, the Cheetah is it! I share your lusting for it any time I run across one. Last time I considered one, I opted for a SIG P230, which in my mind was more concealable and very good looking in its own way. But then maybe this is comparing practical Swiss hausfraus with sveldt Italian charmers. If it turns you on, buy it before you get to be my age (72).

popeye
December 25, 2006, 02:35 PM
I've got a Browning BDA currently which is the only .380 I prefer over the Beretta 84. No particular reason, as I've had both and traded both make guns over the last 15 years. The frame for the BDA was made by Beretta. Recoil on blow back operated gun can be surprising, but the 84 is much more controllable than a Walther IMO. I'd like to have the .22 Beretta, but they're kinda pricey.

Frandy
December 26, 2006, 09:58 PM
Last time I considered one, I opted for a SIG P230, which in my mind was more concealable and very good looking in its own way. But then maybe this is comparing practical Swiss hausfraus with sveldt Italian charmers.
I sold a Cheetah and regret it. I'll get another. But, the Sigs are sweet too! Mine is extremely accurate.

http://homepage.mac.com/franman/.Pictures/Handguns/Sig_232_on_vest_1_640.jpg

Surefire
December 26, 2006, 10:41 PM
IMO, the Beretta Cheetah is my favorite .380 pistol. It fits my hand perfectly, is a great size (great compromise of comfort vs. concealability), and is extremely reliable. If I had to depend on a .380, it would be a Cheetah.

The Sig P230/P232 comes in at second place IMO.

I'd rank the CZ 83 in third place IMO.

IMO, you cannot go wrong with any of the above .380s. I feel well armed with a Cheetah, although my preference is for a more powerful chambering. I use my Cheetah in a backup role.

A Cheetah chambered in 9mm with a recoil locking system would be SWEET. While I also love the larger Beretta 92 series, the SIZE of the Cheetah and grip is just about perfect for my needs, IMO. Chamber a slightly beefier Cheetah in 9mm and I would be one happy feller.

Alan Fud
December 26, 2006, 10:58 PM
A Cheetah chambered in 9mm with a recoil locking system would be SWEET. While I also love the larger Beretta 92 series, the SIZE of the Cheetah and grip is just about perfect for my needs, IMO. Chamber a slightly beefier Cheetah in 9mm and I would be one happy feller. I've been saying the same thing for a while. If other companies can make 9mm the size of a PPK, there should be no reason why Beretta can't make a 9mm in the size of a Cheetah.

hemiram
December 29, 2006, 05:46 AM
Yes, you do want one, or it's clone, the Browning BDA .380, same gun with a closed slide. I had both and they were about as perfect as a gun could be. The only complaint I had was the size of them. They looked great, shot even better!

I wish I had one of them back...

RCR29
December 29, 2006, 06:23 AM
Can anyone post a pic of an 84 and a glock 19 side by side? I really want an 84, but it will have to be carry gun, so if it isn't more concealable than a 19, I will have to not get it.:(

Lone_Gunman
December 29, 2006, 12:51 PM
It is not more concealable than a Glock 19. They are very close to the same size, and the difference is not enough to make any practical difference.

Tom_S
December 29, 2006, 02:22 PM
When I was still just a hunter and trapshooter I saw a nickel/walnut 85FS Cheetah in a gunshop display case one day and decided right then that if I ever got into handguns I would have to own one of those. Now I do.
Just holding that gun makes me feel like I'm cheating on my wife.

Flopsy
December 29, 2006, 05:42 PM
It is not more concealable than a Glock 19. They are very close to the same size, and the difference is not enough to make any practical difference.

I think the level of difference may be a little subjective here, as I find the Cheetah to be even more concealable than my G27. This is due to the thickness and ergonomics, and I find the differences to be significant.

Not to argue with your perception, but I'm just saying I think some people may view the concealability differently depending on what works for them and how they carry.

Surefire
December 29, 2006, 07:59 PM
I think the level of difference may be a little subjective here, as I find the Cheetah to be even more concealable than my G27. This is due to the thickness and ergonomics, and I find the differences to be significant.

Ditto, I find I can conceal the Cheetah 85 more easily than a Glock 26 due to the shape of the gun and width. It is definitely subjective, because many people prefer the G26 for concealability.

Lone_Gunman
December 29, 2006, 09:11 PM
Not to argue with your perception, but I'm just saying I think some people may view the concealability differently depending on what works for them and how they carry.

I agree its all about perception, but I don't understand the situation that would exist where you could conceal a Cheetah, but not a Glock 19.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do I want a Beretta Cheetah?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!