p99Compact 40cal too much recoil?

PDA

vince24L
October 26, 2006, 12:16 AM
I'm now hearing that if i order the 40cal. p99compact it will be too much recoil for a first gun and that i should go with the 9mm...what do you think? :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "p99Compact 40cal too much recoil?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
real_name
October 26, 2006, 12:23 AM
Do you have any other .40s?
They are a bit snappy but they aren't that bad.

Also, .40 is only 10mm, maybe you would be ok with 9mm after all?

vince24L
October 26, 2006, 12:28 AM
like i said...this will be my first gun but i dont want to waste my money on the p22 thats too small for me. but 9mm i figured same price mine as well go 40cal but i dont know now.

symr00
October 26, 2006, 01:45 AM
Go to a range and rent one if possible. Maybe a G27 would be comparable in recoil. I had a P-99 in .40cal and found it too snappy for my liking.

Dollar An Hour
October 26, 2006, 01:50 AM
I don't think it's a good first gun - I think you're asking to develop a flinch.

The P99c is lightweight and the high bore axis makes it pretty flippy, even in 9mm mine surprised me at first and is a handful with hotter 9mm loads.

9mm is cheaper to practice with also.

9mm is quicker to get back on target for double taps...

Shipwreck
October 26, 2006, 07:36 AM
Yes, I agree with what is said above - I have seen people complain that the P99 in 40 is too snnappy - and that was the fullsize. The compact would be even more so.

I have 3 99's, including a compact. All are in 9mm. The P99 is my fav gun. But, I gotta admit that the compact model has some flip to it. I must say that even in 9mm, I do not think the compact is a good FIRST handgun.

I am used to it now, but the very first time I shot it, I put 150 rounds thru it and my hands were sore. Its not an issue anymore, but I think for a newbie, the flip might be too much.

Get yourself a fullsize P99. Or, if not that, get a 9mm, whatever U get. I think for a first handgun, 9mm is the way to go.

10-Ring
October 26, 2006, 09:00 AM
I usually recommend a fullsize gun for a 1st gun. Smaller ones tend to transmit recoil straight to the shooter & if you're not use to it won't be fun. Add on a caliber that is perceived as snappy & you might be setting yourself up for failure :( If you're still just starting out, get the standard P99 and go from there.

vince24L
October 26, 2006, 12:59 PM
well its going to be a concealed gun so thats why i needed something a little small. i was also thinking about the millenium PT 145 PRO in 45cal. i imagine those are wayy too much snap for me??

Shipwreck
October 26, 2006, 01:14 PM
Probably (I wouldn't buy a Taurus gun if ya gave me the money, personally). For that size gun, get a 9mm.

Either P99c, Glock 26 or the smallest XD is probably the way to go. But in 9mm.

vince24L
October 26, 2006, 06:42 PM
bump for more opinions. thanks everyone

Big Dave
October 26, 2006, 08:01 PM
I found that the HK USP Compact was too snappy in .40. I would expect the Walther would be also. Strongly recommend 9 mm, especially for first time buyer.

Cousin Mike
October 26, 2006, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't say that it's a bad first gun, depending on what it will be used for. I taught myself to shoot on 9mms, .45's and .357's - although I eventually got a .22 for practice, I could shoot pretty well long before I got it. Keep in mind that NOTHING beats a .22 for practice...

I own a .40, and have shot a G27 which would probably be pretty similar to the Walther P99c. Recoil is noticeable, but it's nothing to be scared of. If it's going to be your first gun, and used for self defense or carry, then go with whatever YOU like, and learn to be proficient with it out to around 10 yards... The last thing you'd ever be worried about in self-defense situation is recoil, and being able to defend yourself is more important than being able to shoot good bullseye scores. Nobody else can tell you what you will like.

Then in the future, when you have the extra money and want to refine your skills, start looking into .22's and/or 9mm's for practice and plinking. It might not be the textbook way to go, but the end result is just the same. The most important thing is to practice the fundamentals as much as possible.. in other words, hit the range!

Be safe, and enjoy your new Walther is what I say. :)

Edited to add: I don't disagree with the other posters in that I would not usually recommend a .40 for a new shooter, unless he or she was dead set on that particular round. If you still have a choice, try them both. The .40 does kick substantially more than the 9mm. If recoil is an issue for you, the 9mm would be a better choice. If you are dead set on a .40, then get a .40. If you want a good self defense round in a more controllable package, go with the 9mm.

vince24L
October 27, 2006, 01:56 PM
ya i might just stick with a 9mm then.. i just figured the 40cal is the same price i mine as well go 40

Shipwreck
October 27, 2006, 02:14 PM
Well, I had a Glock 26 for 8 years - and my P99c for 1 year. I will say that while I prefer the P99c and shoot better with it, there is more recoil in the Walther than the Glock - hence my opinion that jumping that P99 compact to a 40 cal would not be fun to shoot.

Also, on the Walther forum, someone claimed a Walther USA (S&W) employee told them that they would not be importing the 40 cal P99 compacts anymore....

DougB
October 28, 2006, 07:57 AM
In this particular handgun (the compact P99), I think you get a couple of extra rounds of magazine capacity in the 9mm version - that (along with less recoil and lower cost practice ammo) might tip me in favor of the 9mm version. If the .40 caliber came with 10-round magazines, I think I'd get the .40 myself - just because "more is better" and if I can get exactly the same size gun, wth the same magazine capacity, in a more powerful cartridge, I'd have a hard time passing that up. It would be kind of like picking a .38 Special revolver when you could get the same gun in .357 - though not quite the same because you can't shoot 9's in a .40. But, for a first handgun, I also think the 9mm might be better - but not by a huge margin (you could easily develop a flinch with the 9mm as well, and you could probalby get used to the .40 without too much trouble).

Doug

vince24L
October 28, 2006, 11:19 AM
yaa..well the 9mm holds 10 while the 40. holds 8 soo i dunno its up in the air for me right now. 9mm would be smarter but how can i pass up a 40cal for same price

If you enjoyed reading about "p99Compact 40cal too much recoil?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!