First gun direction

PDA

spelsh
October 26, 2006, 04:18 PM
Great form! I have been reading the forum and archives for several weeks. Great way to kill some time at the office.

I am going to purchase a new gun in the next 2-3 weeks but could use some direction on where to begin my search. The following are my general criteria and thoughts. This will be a general plinker, used for home defense and in the spring to shoot USPSA. I do not carry and conceal (yet), I intend to shoot a great deal more before I take on the responsibility of carrying. Single action makes me more comfortable, after I get more accurate I will begin shooting double action. Below is a summary:

Inexpensive (Not cheap) sub $500
SA only
Single stack or a thin design (smaller hand)
4+ inch barrel

Thank you so much for your thoughts and input.

If you enjoyed reading about "First gun direction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Phenom
October 26, 2006, 04:25 PM
What about one of Springfield's Champion models?

ugaarguy
October 26, 2006, 04:46 PM
Inexpensive (Not cheap) sub $500
SA only
Single stack or a thin design (smaller hand)
4+ inch barrel
Based on those requirements;
Used FN/Browning Hi-Power, CZ-75, Springfield Armory GI or Mil-Spec 1911. My small-ish hands like the 1911 and the BHP (Browning Hi-Power). I'd go with the Hi-Power in 9mm to start because it'll be cheaper to shoot. While it's a doublestack, the BHP is still quite slim in the grip.

Above all else, go handle a bunch of guns and see what fits your hand. Here's more info on gun fit http://www.corneredcat.com/FirstGun/TryOnGun.htm

Welcome to THR and please let us know what else we can do to help you as you start into the world of handgunning.

spelsh
October 26, 2006, 06:45 PM
what make a gun HP?

Bazooka Joe71
October 26, 2006, 07:00 PM
+1 on everything ugaarguy said...if you are wanting a single stack .45 for sub-500, then definately look into the SA GI 1911(very nice gun for the money) and the mil-spec as well. Both are good quality shooters, and pretty accurate right out of the box.

If you are wanting to save $ on ammo though, take a good look at a CZ 75 in any of the flavors, I prefer the full size barrel, so the 75B and SP01 are good choices(I could be wrong, but i think those are the only two with the 4.72 in barrel). I just bought my first CZ a couple of weeks ago (CZ 75SP01) and could not be happier. They are fantastic pistols.

As for the browning HP, well do a search on here and I highly doubt you find anything bad written about them...They are a bit pricey though, but if you are lucky, you can find one used in your price range.

daysleeprx
October 26, 2006, 07:01 PM
Hi-Power is the name of the gun.

MatthewVanitas
October 26, 2006, 07:22 PM
Hi-Power is the name of the gun.

Originally called the "P35 Gran Puissance" in Belgium, the name was anglicized to "Hi-Power" or "High Power".

Here's an article on it: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg17-e.htm

Pretty slim for a pistol that holds 13+ rounds, and is SA-only.

The CZ is, in a roundabout way, the latter-day BHP. It's SA/DA, but can be carried "cocked-and-locked" in most models.

CZ 75B (the current variant of the Czech military pistol) runs as low as $350 brand-new in Texas. All steel, well-made, very sweet. Don't let the low price fool you, they're easily on par w/ Glock and up.

CZ info: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg51-e.htm

For the BHP, you can occasionally find FN-marked HPs for the top end of your budget, but I often see FM (Fabrique Militar of Argentina) BHP clones for as low as $350. There are also assorted Bulgarian BHP clones (Arcus, FEG), but I don't know so much about those.

Do note that 9mm ammo costs half what 45ACP ammo does; that makes a big difference in your practice budget...

You can find tons of info about any of the above by using the THR Search Engine.

-MV

Phenom
October 26, 2006, 07:37 PM
I haven't heard anything bad about the Charles Daly Hi-Power clone. It's well within your range price too;)

sig228
October 27, 2006, 12:14 AM
Here's a great reference guide to many types:

http://www.gundirectory.com/body.asp?gun=Pistol&pp=1&sort=-3&pop=1

Shrike360
October 27, 2006, 12:27 AM
Don't let the low price fool you, they're easily on par w/ Glock and up.

They are even compared to Sigs and HKs at times, too.

RNB65
October 27, 2006, 12:29 AM
Looks like J.M. Browning is the answer. Either a used/clone Hi-Power 9mm or an SA GI or Mil Spec 45ACP. The HP would probably be better for small hands.

spelsh
October 27, 2006, 01:35 AM
okay, so HP is a strong recomendation. That is where I will begin my search. I have shot a springfield, but not a Charles Daly, so I will need to locate a store/range that has one. I thank everyones thoughts and inputs, please keep the suggestions coming!!!:)

If you enjoyed reading about "First gun direction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!