vinyl tubing for powder charge......

PDA

quiknot
October 26, 2006, 07:58 PM
I am looking at cutting some 1/2" vinyl tubing to make some quick re loading charges...was wondering if there might be any static in the vinyl to cause a unsafe situation...plan on having a lead ball on one end and 1/2" dowel in the other.....thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "vinyl tubing for powder charge......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve499
October 26, 2006, 08:48 PM
Don't forsee any problems for you. I've used vinyl tubes for some time and like them.

Steve

MutinousDoug
October 26, 2006, 10:46 PM
I don't think this is a big hazard but plastic material can store an electrical charge where a conductive metal or plastic material dissipates said charge. Unlikely you will carry your vinyl cartridges into an atmosphere that would create a dangerous potential (electrical power plant, or heavy machinery that is not grounded). I think this is why Ruger tells you to only use powder measures made for BP measuring for their guns that use BP.
OTOH: Wool jacket pocket, 9% RH, lotta walking around, could store a charge sufficient to cause a spark when introducing cartridge to gun? Ever zap your sister on the ear after scooting your sock covered feet across the carpet?:evil: That's fun. I don't know whether T/C speedloaders are conductive. I use them.
/Just throwing it out there.

Car Knocker
October 26, 2006, 10:54 PM
Might want to take a look at this regarding static electricity and black powder: http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/mlexperiments/sparks/sparks.html

MutinousDoug
October 26, 2006, 11:44 PM
Car Knocker:
I am convinced. I 've heard this was the case but never seen it demonstrated. I knew that static charge could ignite BP but didn't know the conditions required.

Thanks for the info,

MutinousDoug

Car Knocker
October 27, 2006, 01:31 AM
I'll grant that the experiment that I cited leads me to believe that it would be extremely difficult to ignite black powder in its granular state or even finely powdered BP as long as it is at rest. However, I am not convinced that if a static spark were introduced while pouring black powder into a powder measure, that the dust particles suspended in the air wouldn't ignite and serve as an ignition source to the remainder of the granular powder. In point of fact, numerous silo and grain elevator explosions attributed to static electricity and finely divided dust floating in the air leave little doubt in my mind that such a thing is possible; unlikely perhaps, but certainly in the realm of possibility.

gmatov
October 27, 2006, 03:18 AM
Nope,

Actually, you chicken type guys are the only ones who keep this alive.

Scientific types debunk, you guys keep going to these sites and say, "Well, it COULD happen!"

Hundreds have posted the "BOOM" theory. Thousands have posted the "BULL****" rebuttal, yet every couple days someone else says "I heard that if I scuff my feet over the carpet before I go hunting in the morning, I will blow my fool head off from static discharge."

Y'know, it's a good thing them iggeramuses in the 14th and 15th century did not know about electricity, and electrostatic discharge. We'd still be shooting bows'n arrers as the state of the art.

Hell, that could be a GOOD thing, but it is not THE thing. The genie is out of the bottle.

I gotta go to the thread that says you gotta have an incadescent flash to burn BP, etc.

Cheeres,

George

If you enjoyed reading about "vinyl tubing for powder charge......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!