Best 7.62x51 Battle Rifle

PDA

cav_scout_tj
October 27, 2006, 12:17 PM
I been thinking about moving to a semi-auto battle rifle, but I need some opinions:

What is the best large battle rifle. I am thinking of a portable (folding/collapasable stock) 16" barrel, iron sights. I have an M-4 type now with an EOTech.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best 7.62x51 Battle Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ny32182
October 27, 2006, 12:25 PM
You can't fold the stock on an AR10... There are folding versions of the FAL and fully collapsing versions of the HK91 type rifle.

pat86323
October 27, 2006, 12:29 PM
i like the springfield armory socom rifle.

flip180
October 27, 2006, 01:10 PM
"What is the best large battle rifle. I am thinking of a portable"

Those two statements kinda contradict each other;) . I have an M1A Scout/Squad with the black synthetic stock and, I also have a Stag Arms AR. Those two are like two peas in a pod. If you're wanting something portable in a 7.62 Nato then you might be interested in a FAL with a folding stock. IMO, you have the portable thing covered with your AR.

Flip.

lionking
October 27, 2006, 03:02 PM
I'm not saying I don't like the G3 but it has some drawbacks.The PTR-91 can be had for a reasonable price.

Never fired a FAL before but they have a good reputation.They have better egronomics than a G3.

Never fired a Galil,heard they are good.

M1a,my personal choice.If you plan on target shooting besides having a warrior rifle the sights are the best.

Ar-10,I fired it.Its real accurate.Everything about it is expensive.

mkh100
October 27, 2006, 03:14 PM
M1A......best sights on a modern rifle (copy of the tried and true M1). Making a MBR short is not necesarily a good thing, loss of muzzle velocity with shorter barrel, poor cheek weld with a collapsing stock. Socom is pretty sweet though.

All that said I don't own an M1A yet. I chose the G3 clones from JLD because it was good all around, robust, and VERY affordable ! You can have 2 rifles with more mags than you will ever use for less than the cost of 1 used M1A.

I didn't see the M1 on your list......I would not discount that rifle in the hands of a trained operator. Very affordable also !

tikka_fan
October 27, 2006, 03:35 PM
As designed the G3 is more reliable than an AK-47. The only weak point is optics mounting. Only the AR-10 has it beat there.

El Tejon
October 27, 2006, 03:36 PM
Ahhh, yes, the subjective is objective (yet again). Kirk's Third Law of the Internet is in da house.:D

What is best depends on you (or, rather "for you"). If you joined the Bundeswehr as a young man and toted a G3 about, and then immigrated to the USA later in life, an HK91 is probably best. If you carried an M14 for a couple of tours in Vietnam, then an M1A may be best.

If you are a gun geek and shoot the M1A in competition, that is best. If you are a gun geek and lust after an FAL, or AR10 or whatever, and are willing to put in the blood, sweat and tears to become one with the weapon, then that is best.

cav, remember what my Uncle Sonny told me in typical Hoosier fashion, "[d]ammit, boy, rifles are like dogs, you have to put in love and lots of work.":D

I like Fulton Armory M1As, real HK91s (not the clones, but I'm told the clones are getting better), FAL (get a T&D guy who knows what he is doing and you can get better than Belgian grade weapons), ARs (I like Rock River and use them at gun skul) and Ber M59 and the SIG AMT.

Lots of good guns, very few good men. Put love in that dog, cav!!!:D

Evil Monkey
October 27, 2006, 03:36 PM
I chose other, as in...

SIG542
http://civiliangunner.com/images/SIG540.jpg

If the SIG550 is the best 5.56mm, then the SIG542 is the best 7.62mm.:D

mkh100
October 27, 2006, 03:45 PM
+1 on El Tejon

The man, and the training, is FAR more important than the rifle or even the caliber.

Teapot
October 27, 2006, 04:55 PM
Hey, Evil Monkey, where did you get your 542? Is it a SIG or the Chilean version and lastly is it automatic or Semi-automatic only?
Well, lastly lastly, how long ago did you buy it and for how much? I have been looking for one for a long time. I wanted a Valmet M-78 in 7.62 but the one I found on another site was $3500!

Thefabulousfink
October 27, 2006, 04:57 PM
There might be other more accurate rifles out there, but If I needed a rifle that would go BANG every time, I'll take my FAL.:D

Thefabulousfink
October 27, 2006, 04:59 PM
And if you want portability:
http://www.dsarms.com/catalog-list.cfm?Category=04&storeid=1&CFID=9463748&CFTOKEN=68149007

http://www.dsarms.com/images/stg58catimage.jpg

Evil Monkey
October 27, 2006, 05:29 PM
Hey, Evil Monkey, where did you get your 542?

HA! I wish I had a 542!:D I don't own one. I only chose it because I've heard very great things about it and Swiss firearms in general.

But doesn't it look sweet? It looks like an HK, but has AK internals.

El Tejon
October 27, 2006, 05:34 PM
The subjective is objective.

cav_scout_tj
October 27, 2006, 05:45 PM
I never even seen a 542 before... and I was just lusting for the 556. Galil has been on my list forever, but its just too darn expensive. Never shot an M-14, HK-91, AR-10 or a FAL, so I dont have a predisposition. My 7.62 experiences are limited to m-60 and m-240c and my remmy 700. Being that I did carry an m-16 for a few years, the AR-10 is familiar in that way. I guess I am looking for bang for the buck. Something more than the 5.56 AR platform.

thanks for all your input so far.
TJ

Otherguy Overby
October 27, 2006, 06:05 PM
Just get one of your Garands re-barrelled in .308 and add a spacer. :)

TonyRumore
October 27, 2006, 06:39 PM
Holloway Arms HAC-7

Evil Monkey
October 27, 2006, 06:55 PM
Holloway Arms HAC-7

You have one of these?
http://www.biggerhammer.net/hac7/pictorial/7c_rightside_mag.jpg

http://www.biggerhammer.net/hac7/

It looks like an XCR, in 7.62mm.

FatalMove
October 27, 2006, 06:58 PM
I don't know about other 7.62 rifles but i have an AR-10. It is sub moa accurate with factory ammo. It wears a 20 inch recessed crown barrel and a Leopold vx-2 3x9. The stock is a 4 position collapsible but will not fold. shortest setting on stock makes it 38 inches overall. The pros are that its accurate and opperates exactly like an AR-15. The only thing i dislike about it is its weight. Tipping the scales at 15 pounds its one heavy bastard carrying it in the deer woods all day. I would have to say that its not very portable. A 16 inch barrel with flash suppressor may not be as heavy. hope it helps

FataL][V][ove

possum
October 27, 2006, 07:26 PM
Welcome to THR

I personally like the m1a weapons above all other battle rifles. I do like the fact that most of them have a pistol grip which i really like and is easier for me to shoot for long range sessions, but i just prefer the m1a's. They look great the shoot good, and there are many configurations out there, from springfield armory, fulton armory, and not to mention the fact that all kinds of custom builders do great things with the m1a. i also believe that the m1a's is the best weapons on the list to aquip optics, that will be durabile and dependable. there are varieties from match grade models, scout models, and even the cqb model like the socom. I just believe they are the most versitile out of the bunch. if i was to have any other from the list i would go with one of the custom fal's i have seen they are pretty sweet.

Fosbery
October 27, 2006, 07:53 PM
Another vote for SIG 542. Never used one but I've got a 550 and it's just sublime so presumably the 542 is the same only in XL flavour.

Ian
October 27, 2006, 08:58 PM
Large battle rifle? How about a Browning 1919A6? :D

It may have a bit longer barrel than you want (24"), but OTOH the stock can be completely removed and it'll still fire...

lionking
October 27, 2006, 09:15 PM
quote;+1 on El Tejon

The man, and the training, is FAR more important than the rifle or even the caliber.

well of course thats true.But the beauty of the internet and the forum is shooters can unite and discuss,give opinions,which after that take it or leave it.Personally I've learned quite a bit from the forum.

cav scout,shooters when hanging together like at a range generally are a happy and polite bunch.Bring a box of 7.62mm to the range, chat with some of the guys if they have a rifle you like and almost certainly they will offer to let you try it.

A guy next to me once at the range had a Pedersoli trapdoor 45-70.After eyeing it he asked if I'd like to try it and oh yeah! I did.Very accurate by the way.Of course I then offered mine for him to shoot but he said no thanks,he loved his 45-70 and needed not try anything else....I can understand why.

MountainBear
October 27, 2006, 09:29 PM
Despite its short lifetime as the standard issue service rifle in the US Military, I still give the M14 the nod, with the FAL Platform coming in second.

Teapot
October 27, 2006, 11:00 PM
A good Battle Rifle should be reliable first and accurate second. Testing has been done on all sorts of Battle Rifles side by side and the G-3 and H&K come out tops. Neither are affected by the mud or freezing temperatures that will render an M1 or M-14 type rifle useless, Korea taught that with the Garand. It was fortunate for the Russians that the Garand was not sent to them along with the other Allied war materiel.
The Armalite is accurate but not reliable and that is the opposite of what a Battle rifle ought to be. Above all else it must go bang when the trigger is squeezed.
Between the Kalashnikov style and the G3 it is hard to choose but the 7.62 will out-range either the 7.62x39 or the 5.45x39.
That is why I choose the G3.

Evil Monkey
October 27, 2006, 11:20 PM
As designed the G3 is more reliable than an AK-47.

How is that possible? The G3 uses a delayed blowback system. It spits back gas into the reciever just like the ar15 but through the chamber instead of a gas tube. AK's don't do that.

Plus all that gunk can get stuck in the roller recceses and into the bolt head. After a while, the rollers might not sit into the recceses properly.....BOOM!

Teapot
October 27, 2006, 11:41 PM
Whose Quote was that Evil Monkey? Not mine I think. Kalashnikovs are superbly reliable but so is the G3. Both are simple mechanisms but the G3 is simpler I feel. It takes the Swiss to make the AK system accurate as well as reliable. Since there are no 542 rifles to be had in any reasonable quantity and may therefore be called rare, the G3 gets the nod.

BobMcG
October 28, 2006, 12:21 AM
I'm in the M1A camp. Just love 'em!

lwrnc1963
October 28, 2006, 01:00 AM
I've owned and used L1A1's , H&K clones and a M1A.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/lwrnc1963/M1A.jpg
This is the one I kept!

crazed_ss
October 28, 2006, 02:25 AM
http://members.cox.net/web0/m1a/IMG_0813.jpg

10-Ring
October 28, 2006, 02:26 AM
I've owned the HK 91, shot the FAL & now own the M1A. The M1A is the nicest shooting 308 rifle I've shot...
So, I voted M1A

Dr. Dickie
October 28, 2006, 05:42 AM
crazed_ss,
You need a 20 round mag on that weapon, it don't look right:evil:
Just kidding,:neener:

Fosbery
October 28, 2006, 10:08 AM
As a battle rifle, I'd take the FAL or SIG over an M14 or M1A. They're just too much of a pain to strip and clean to be honest.

Medusa
October 28, 2006, 11:32 AM
As El Tejon said, what the man is most used to and fancies. My experiences from those all have been mostly with G3 and I once shot M14.
So I voted this (because I can handle&shot it the best):
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=45000&d=1158478233

shllyshny
October 28, 2006, 09:12 PM
Voted G3 because that's what I have in .308 (PTR-91). I also have a cherry Garand that just celebrated its 51st birthday and I would probably grab that before the G3 clone.

As soon as my wife says I can afford them, I'll be buying a DPMS LR-308 w/ a 16" bbl and a good Springfield Arms M1A. Might have to bribe her with one of the new Kel Tec PF9's, though.

Eat Beef
October 28, 2006, 09:54 PM
It's a toss up between the M14 (M1a) and the FAL. Both are dead on reliable, with the FAL maybe having a slight edge. Maybe. M14 is more accurate.

The FAL and its accessories are cheaper, but the M14 is, well, an M14.:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Best 7.62x51 Battle Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!