3" barreled alloy frame .38 or .357?

PDA

Mulliga
October 28, 2006, 04:32 PM
I was looking into belt-carrying a revolver awhile back, and while the 3" barreled Model 60 and SP101 called to me, what I really wanted was an alloy-framed 3" barreled .38 or .357 revolver coming in at about 18 or so ounces. I'd stoke it with hot .38+Ps, and it'd be nice if it were a 5-shot for speedloader compatibility with J-frames. Has anyone ever made such a thing? Is there any way of custom-ordering a gun like that?

If you enjoyed reading about "3" barreled alloy frame .38 or .357?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tom C.
October 28, 2006, 04:38 PM
Smith and Wesson made the Model 360 kit gun. 3" barrel, aluminum/scandium frame, titanium cylinder, weighs 12 oz. or so. Came with illuminated front sight, V adjustable rear sight, rated for .357 mag. I have one. They donít seem to be made now. It is a carry much, shoot little gun. The recoil with full power .357 loads is breathtaking, worse than full power loads in my .500 PC Hunter. I also have a 3Ē SP101 and a 4Ē GP100 that are much better practice guns. I consider it a great gun for .38+p with an enhanced safety margin. Donít know where you would find one now.

baker
October 30, 2006, 09:44 PM
I swear I saw a lightweight 3-in j-frame today on gunbroker. Might have been GA..

I DID see it, though

Ohen Cepel
October 30, 2006, 09:47 PM
I would go with the .38 in such a light revolver myself. Often the .357's are bigger and I don't see the real gain in that type of weapon and with such a short barrel.

baker
October 30, 2006, 10:11 PM
here's one:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/022188636871.html

lesjones
October 30, 2006, 10:37 PM
Yep, the 360 is the J-frame version. The 386 is the L-frame version - basically an alloy-framed version of the seven-shot 686+.

There's also the old S&W Model 12, which is a K-frame Model 10 with an alloy frame, but it wasn't rated for +P as I recall. I wish S&W would offer an updated, +P-compatible version, preferably with a stainless barrel and cylinder - a 612.

I also wish S&W would make the 642 and related models with 3" barrels. Heck, I wish S&W would make a lot of their guns in 3" barrels.

JMACDONALD
October 31, 2006, 12:42 AM
Smith & Wesson model 37 j frame was made in 3" round and square butt, if I'm not mistaken.

Johnny Guest
October 31, 2006, 01:14 AM
- - Is the Colt Cobra with three-inch barrel. It is large enough for a firm hold, has a bit of extra sight radius and velocity, compared to the two-inch snubbies, and a full six rounds. Weight is right at 16 ounces. I prefer the factory wooden stocks with a Pachmayr grip adaptor. It rides very nicely in a belt slide or thumb break OWB OR an IWB holster, and you can forget it's even there.

I had such a revolver several years back and let it get away from me. One day, I'll find another one. Until then, I'm making do with a Four-inch Cobra. This is an intermediate carry piece, between a two-inch M37 or Agent in a pocket and a Commander worn OWB.

Best
Johnny

If you enjoyed reading about "3" barreled alloy frame .38 or .357?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!