reducing trigger pull...

PDA

quiknot
October 28, 2006, 05:29 PM
I recently acquired an older Harrington / Richardson Arms .22cal 7 shot revolver...the trigger pull requires a great deal of pull...is there a way I can reduce it to make it easily for me and my wife to handle?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "reducing trigger pull..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mete
October 28, 2006, 08:04 PM
In general trigger pulls can be improved but it's not an amateur's job . Take it to a gunsmith.

Sir Aardvark
October 31, 2006, 01:09 AM
Pretty much what mete said.

But... of course there are options:

There are four things that I can think of that can be done to lessen a trigger pull; the first 3 you can do yourself, the 4th would best be performed by someone who knows what he's doing, such as a gunsmith.

1) Take the grip off of your handgun. Completely hose out the action of your handgun with Gunscrubber thru the hammer and trigger openings. Use an air compressor to blow it dry. Hose everything out again with Breakfree and once again use the air compressor to blow out any excess oil. Sometimes by clearing out all of the crud in the action you'll find that the results can be amazing!.

2)Take it apart and use hone stones and 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to smooth all of the internal parts that rub together. Sometimes by just reducing the friction between the parts you'll get a slight but noticable improvement in trigger feel.

3) Do #2 above and also replace the springs with lighter ones (if available). This will definitely reduce the trigger pull.

4) Change the angle on the sears. Obviously, This is something only a qualified gunsmith should do and is probably unnecessary or unneeded in the vast majority of cases.

dfaugh
October 31, 2006, 11:02 AM
Take it apart and use hone stones and 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to smooth all of the internal parts that rub together. Sometimes by just reducing the friction between the parts you'll get a slight but noticable improvement in trigger feel.

I've done a few "trigger jobs" myself, just by doing that...Now that DOESN'T mean breaking out the Dremel and Grinding alot of material (if it need alot of work, get thee to a gunsmith). But on older guns, the wear surfaces are usually obvious, and a some light honing and polishing can improve things immensly. Also, I coat those surfaces with white lithium grease and that helps alot, although you need to re-apply fairly frequently. DON'T us grease in areas that are exposed to lots of dirt and such, as it'll only accumulate, quickly.

If you enjoyed reading about "reducing trigger pull..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!