Need help with WWII M3 Binoculars...

PDA

Gewehr98
October 28, 2006, 05:41 PM
I'm getting ready for deer season. I just had this set professionally cleaned and restored, and I'm tickled pink - they're pretty clear and crisp, with a nice field of view. They're 6x30, and were made by Westinghouse in 1943. My problem is I cannot figure out how to read the darned rangefinding reticle in the left ocular. Anybody know the Field Manual number or proper means of interpreting the stadia in these optics?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with WWII M3 Binoculars..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeff White
October 29, 2006, 06:10 AM
It's in several manuals. FM 6-30 The Field Artillery Observer should have it. I did find the scale for all the binoculars in the system in TC 31-32 Special Operations Sniper Training and Employment

I'll scan the pages and email them to you, or I can photocopy and snail mail. I've been up too long to type it all out then explain it. Are you familiar with the mil relation formula?

Jeff

Gewehr98
October 30, 2006, 12:05 PM
I'm good with subtending MOA using the Mil-Dots in my riflescopes, but that's probably not going to help me with what you're talking about and the goofy reticle in my binoculars. ;)

Jeff White
October 31, 2006, 12:32 AM
Actually it's somewhat similar to using the mildots. I'll get it scanned tomorrow. Unless you want it snail mail, PM me with that addy if you do.

Jeff

Gewehr98
November 5, 2006, 07:27 PM
Thank you and your son, Jeff, they came through loud and clear!

(I'm heading off to Horicon Marsh to rangefind some geese....)

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with WWII M3 Binoculars..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!