An Interesting Evening

PDA

doseyclwn
May 18, 2003, 03:37 AM
So I'm eating at this diner here in Richmond, VA that I eat at a lot tonight. As usual, I'm packing. I'm doing so openly because the diner also serves alcohol. First, the waitress comes up to me and tells me that some folks are nervous about it. I tell her that's not my intention. She (unlike a lot of folks here)knew though that I was perfectly within my rights. She told me she was a bit nervous. I offered even to take it out to the car, but she said it was fine. Then about 5 minutes later, some guys in a booth next to me leaned over and said

"Hey, could you put your shirt over that or something, it's making me nervous".

I thought it was incredibly funny. I was sitting there breathing in the smoke that he was producing from his cigarette. I have always believed that if I go somewhere that allows smoking, then it's stupid for me to complain about the smoke. Not batting an eye, I respond.

"Actually, I can't do that. This restaurant serves alcohol".

"Well, could you cover it up or something?"

"No, that would be a Class A Misdemeanor and I could get arrested and go to jail. I can't do that in a place that serves alcohol".

They were so pissed that they moved, and kept bitching about it to people.

What made it really weird is that I've been eating in this place almost every weekend for the last 6 or 7 months, carrying, and noone has ever said anything before. The waitress told me she had never noticed it. I usually would never agree to disarm, but I really like the restaurant and she was pretty nice about it. Gotta give her kudos for being sensible about it. On the other hand, I don't know what the hell was wrong with these other guys. I guess some folks just feel they have to legislate everything. If someone possesses something that makes you feel nervous, what good does it do just to hide it? That made no sense.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

If you enjoyed reading about "An Interesting Evening" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ-75
May 18, 2003, 04:02 AM
Sheeple. :rolleyes:

Completely irrational and not worth taking the time to think through rationally.

How do you rationalize the irrational?

And, yes, I did have an experience like this working for my mother the summer before grad school.

Some women complained b/c I was open carrying a 1911, rather than leave it under the counter, when filling-in in a retail establishment as the only counter person, or any other person, that day. Figured it was better than carrying it, by hand, to the back room all the time when getting stock or locking the door.

They claimed it was "intimidating." I tried to explain this wasn't good area and the local SR-22 high risk insurance agency brought in some real losers and that there had been robberies. Couldn't explain anything to them and they left. :rolleyes:

Obviously, their complaints went to the circular file. :D

PrudentGT
May 18, 2003, 04:46 AM
I love the logic of hoplophobes in action. They already know it's there, but they'll not be as nevous if it gets covered up so they can't see it... Amazing...

AK103K
May 18, 2003, 06:59 AM
Let me get this straight, if your wearing a gun in a place that serves liquor, you have to show you are wearing the gun? What moron came up with that? I think I would choose to ignore that "rule", a.) for my own safety, and b.) for the very reason you got hassled over it. Lets face it, most people these days get nervous when they see a gun, especially if they dont see a badge next to it. I'm surprised that they didnt ask you to leave, since it seemed to be upsetting customers. Personally, I would have left it in the car rather than expose it. I dont want people knowing I have a gun with me, lawful or not. I dont want that kind of attention. I would also think, your right to do so or otherwise, if the police came, you would be hearing about it and now you have even more unwanted attention that could possibly lead to other issues. You know how cops can be, getting all inquisitive and all. I'm all in favor of carrying a gun if thats what you want, but I think some common sense rules apply here, even if those "rules" violate some other rule. Either that or leave it in the car.

MacPelto
May 18, 2003, 09:38 AM
Not me, I see no reason to hide it. Wearing arms isn't a dirty little secret or skeleton in the closet. If I could wear openly I would, and if some random Joe doesn't like it - tough.

If more people saw responsible citizens wearing their arms openly, they would eventually get over the 'only cops and bad guys have guns' mentality.

JasonPT145
May 18, 2003, 09:41 AM
AK103K
The Law in VA is that you cannot carry in any establishment that serves alcohol to be consumed on the property. Most cities in VA allow open carry, and open carry does not restrict you from carrying in a place that serves alcohol. Some cities have ordinances against open carry, however, if you are a CHL holder you are excempt.

doseyclwn
I have been in the same situation.....Went to the beach for the 4-wheeler races a couple of weekends ago. I wwent into a pizzaria, looked at the menu, and noticed they served alcohol. I tucked my t-shirt behind the grip, and no one said a word. When the waitress brought our plates, mine had food still on it, I went to the counter to get another one, and as soon as I got back to my seat,, the waitress came back up to me, and asked me if I could take my gun out to my car. I explained to her that there was nothing posted saying that I couldn't carry, and my car was a mile down the road. She said people were getting nervous, and asked if I could hurry up and eat, so I could get out of there. I had my 2 kids (2 and 4 year old girls)and wife with me, so I politely told the waitress that I am not going to rush my kids just because some people aren't comfortable with my way of life. Right as I was finally walking out, after not leaving any tip at all, a uniformed police officer walked in. He saw that I was carrying, and asked what it was. I told him that I would rather talk to him outside, and when we got outside we had a 10 minute discusion on guns, and I told him what the waitress said. He told me that he ate at the place regularly, and that he would no longer eat there. It is a great thing when you have other people behind what you beleive. I say keep on carrying :)

keyhole
May 18, 2003, 09:58 AM
JasonPT145

Glad to hear that you had a positive influence on the officer.

guy sajer
May 18, 2003, 10:08 AM
What a refreshing story Jason .

I hope the cop went inside and told them why he wasn't going to eat there anymore !

TechBrute
May 18, 2003, 10:57 AM
Let me get this straight...

If they can see it, they're nervous, but if you cover it up and they can't see it, even if they know it's still there, they're ok with it?

Duhhhhhhhh...:rolleyes:

DrPsycho
May 18, 2003, 12:19 PM
See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil - I'm sure we're all familiar with those three monkeys.

Standing Wolf
May 18, 2003, 05:29 PM
He told me that he ate at the place regularly, and that he would no longer eat there. It is a great thing when you have other people behind what you beleive. I say keep on carrying

Amen! I wouldn't eat there again myself—and would make a point of so informing the manager before I left.

May 19, 2003, 05:02 AM
That's why most of these sort of people vote for liberals. They know most liberal ideas are bad but they don't have to think about them because they aren't in their face.

H Romberg
May 19, 2003, 08:18 AM
Devil's advocate here,

Liberal ideas also include some pretty good stuff. Not stoning burning or otherwise killing heretics is one, easy availability of birth control is another. Heck, even the concept of free speech is a "liberal" thing. There's good and bad at both ends of that spectrum.

Betcha can't tell I'm a libertarian. :D

New_comer
May 19, 2003, 08:42 AM
We've got to accept the fact that some do get nervous around guns.

The eatery should have known about the prevailing gun regulations in their locality, and should have visible signs declaring such rules, to prevent the uninformed customer from unnessesarily confronting the gun owner.

That, or always have a copy of the ruling in your wallet, if only to prove your point. ;)

Bravo11
May 19, 2003, 10:10 AM
How do these people know that your not a LEO?
I've seen a lot of deputys carrying without a badge showing.
And if they are so nervous how do they know your not a bad guy.
"Excuse me sir your exposed weapon is making me nervous"--"No problem, I'll be leaving after I rob this place"

doseyclwn
May 19, 2003, 10:21 AM
How do these people know that your not a LEO?

http://www.babyblade.addr.com/stuff%20016.jpg

Bravo11
May 19, 2003, 10:22 AM
Oh, I see.
You must be a undercover cop.

Leatherneck
May 19, 2003, 10:37 AM
JasonPT145 The Law in VA is that you cannot carry in any establishment that serves alcohol to be consumed on the property. Actually, that should say:" The Law in VA is that you cannot carry concealed in any establishment that serves alcohol to be consumed on the property." That forces people who insist on carrying to do so openly. But otherwise, good story!
AK103KWhat moron came up with that? Amen, Brother. Amen.

TC
TFL Survivor

Rickstir
May 19, 2003, 01:23 PM
Something happen like this in my home. Living in Missouri, I carry open everywhere I can and that includes my farm. We had a Bar_B_Que for some of my wifes's card playing buddies. One couple came late, had some of my really good pulled pork and baby back ribs, never had met them as I teach on card playing nights. A few days later the man said his wife really loved the food, but was uneasy because I was carrying a pistol. In my own home mind you. Told him there would be other get-togethers and his wife could come or not, I didn't care. But she could plan on that Berretta 92 FS being right there on my hip.
Went to a graduation party at a MO. Water Patrol captain's house yesterday, carried open (again as I always do) and nobody said a word.

Standing Wolf
May 19, 2003, 05:26 PM
We've got to accept the fact that some do get nervous around guns.

I do accept the fact; I don't, however, accept the theory that anyone's hoplophobia trumps the civil rights of law-abiding American citizens.

One of the reasons I'd rather carry openly than concealed is that more people need to realize the vast majority of firearms owners are law-aibing.

Art Eatman
May 19, 2003, 05:37 PM
H Romberg, aren't you sorta mixing ideas of the Classical Liberal in with the hoplophobia of the Modern American Liberal? There's no common ground between the two, other than the present-day misuse of the word "Liberal".

:), Art

spacemanspiff
May 19, 2003, 05:38 PM
i like open carrying, though its rare i get a chance to do so. up here in alaska though, most everyone is accustomed to it or doesnt even notice. you do come across the occasional person who has irrational fears of inanimate objects, but no one makes a big stink about it.

CZ-75
May 19, 2003, 08:34 PM
you do come across the occasional person who has irrational fears of inanimate objects,

= Bear Chow :evil:

blades67
May 19, 2003, 08:41 PM
Out of sight, out of mind. Just like a two-year-old child.:rolleyes:

redneck
May 19, 2003, 10:32 PM
If I bury my head you caint see me neither :D

SJG26
May 20, 2003, 01:21 PM
I recall news that VA passed legislation which prohibits/prevents local preemption on the CCW laws - may want to check WWW.PCAKING.ORG for specifics.....................

themic
May 20, 2003, 01:45 PM
to me, carrying concealed is the preferred method. i'm glad there are folks who want to help the public get to know that carrying doesn't mean you're evil, and making them more comfortable and all that... actually i'm really glad you guys are out there. but me, i like to stay concealed, and the restaurant law puts one in a tough situation.

bascially, the law is designed quite stupidly. you're not allowed to carry while drunk, they should just leave it at that.

doseyclwn
May 20, 2003, 03:12 PM
to me, carrying concealed is the preferred method.

Me too. I am just anal about obeying the gun laws because I am terrified of some assmonkey anti-freedom twit using them to take my property or my child.

SapperLeader
May 20, 2003, 05:05 PM
unfortunaly doesnt affect the carry in alcohol establishment law. It was passed due to some local counties(fairfax and va beach i think) were passing more restrictive laws than the rest of the state, such as no open carry, and adding no concealed carry in more areas than state law prohibits. THis new preemptive law should help va in getting more reciprocity with other states now that are laws are uniform state wide.

If you enjoyed reading about "An Interesting Evening" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!