Question for experienced Colt shooters

PDA

Dithsoer
October 29, 2006, 01:50 AM
I'm having trouble deciding between two Colt repros. The shop owner agreed to keep them both on hold for a few days untill I decide. My options are an 1861 Navy with standard barrel length and an 1862 Navy Police Model with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. My question is, what kind of accuracy can I expect with the shorter barrel? Will it be as accurate as the full size model, or does that shorter barrel cut some of it's accuracy? The 1862 handles really nice but I really don't want to sacrifice anything in the accuracy department. Anyone have any experience with both? Also, how do they compare with the original 1851 Navy? Your answers will decide how I spend $230.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for experienced Colt shooters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jamie C.
October 29, 2006, 04:16 AM
The length of the barrel won't have much effect on mechanical accuracy. The difference in the length of the sight radius may effect practical accuracy, however.

Mechanically, once the bullet or ball is stabilized, that's it. Doesn't much matter how much barrel is there.

However, sighting errors are magnified with a short sight radius, making it a little tougher to line the bullet path up with the target. This is typically the reason that even a mediocre rifle shot can hit things a good pistol shooter has a tough time even getting close to.

The shorter barrel will cost you a bit in velocity too.

So, if you want a pistol that's relatively easy to shoot and hit with at longer ranges, that's getting the most out of it's powder charge, go with the longer barreled gun.

If you want one that's a little quicker out of the holster and is handy for close-range shooting/plinking or at larger targets, go with the shorter of the two.

In other words, it's all up to what you intend to do with it, and what you expect out of it.

J.C.

motorcycle_dan
October 29, 2006, 04:37 AM
Get Both.

Might look online and see what the differences in price can be found for new and used stuff.
Gunbroker.com
midwayusa.com
lots of speciality black powder places as well.

Smokin_Gun
October 29, 2006, 05:09 AM
I'd say opt for the 1861 Navy first. It's better balanced than the 1862 and hasn't the cap eating problem of the 1851 Navy(spent caps fallin' down the hammer channel). Although an 1851 Navy .36 is what I call a must have for yor BP Rev shootin' collection.
The 1861 Navy would be my choice between the 1861 and 1862 definately.

pohill
October 29, 2006, 05:40 AM
I have an 1862 Pocket Police and an 1861 Navy, both in .36 caliber. I'd go with the longer 1861, no question about it, unless you can get both like MC Dan said.
The 1861 Navy is as close to perfection as you can get - balance, accuracy, looks, feel. The 1862 Pocket Police, which is the same size as the Pocket Navy, can be, well...annoying. It looks great, but the loading lever is small, and it shoots so high that I'm thinking of adding a higher front sight as some other shooters have done.
The 1862 is a good gun, don't get me wrong, but it's not an everyday shooter- it was meant to be a hide-out gun. The 1861 Navy has the look and feel of the larger 1860 Army .44 but in a smaller caliber, and you can shoot it forever and hit what you're shooting at. Either way, you're still getting a Colt (that's for you, Smokin' (REM)Gun ha ha).

The fullsized 1851 Navy .36 caliber, as opposed to the Pocket Navy, is also a great gun, a "must-have" like Smokin'Gun said.

Jamie C.
October 29, 2006, 05:49 AM
...an 1851 Navy .36 is what I call a must have...

Funny you should say that....
I was just over at Uberti's site, drooling over this...
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/DrakeCaminus/UB-1851NavySquareback-S.jpg
... and I came to the same conclusion. :D

Of course, I need an 1858 Remington first, but that one's certainly on "the list". ;)

J.C.

mec
October 29, 2006, 09:07 AM
"The 1861 Navy is as close to perfection as you can get - balance, accuracy, looks, feel. The 1862 Pocket Police, which is the same size as the Pocket Navy, can be, well...annoying. It looks great, but the loading lever is small, and it shoots so high that I'm thinking of adding a higher front sight as some other shooters have done."

Agreed. My 61 navy is extra accurate and shootable. Also functions very well. It also hits right to the sights. this may be a function of luck but it is uncommon to find a percussion revolver that does that. The 62s often need more modification and generally shoot real high.
This pocket navy is the same size as the 62 Police and behaves much the same. Shoots to point of aim after fitted with the extra tall sight.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47079&stc=1&d=1162126704
This Police model has an extra tall bead. The Gator ffffg actually produced less velocity than goex fffg
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47081&stc=1&d=1162127122
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47080&stc=1&d=1162126873

Tommygunn
October 29, 2006, 02:40 PM
I have the Uberti 1862 pocket police and the 1861 Colt Navy (also Uberti). The 1861 is definantly more accurate. The 1862 (actually I have both the police version (fluted cylinder) and the "normal" one (a aprevious poster posted a photo of a similar one above) and in my experience the 1861 beats both of them. But, the "normal" one of mine does shoot more accuratly than the police...but that's probably only the difference between those individual revolvers.

sjohns
October 30, 2006, 01:50 AM
I need to vote for the 61 as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for experienced Colt shooters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!