Advice Wanted On Magazines

PDA

FireArmFan
October 29, 2006, 02:48 AM
It seems like very frequently i hear people talking about wilson mags, and 1911's. I tell people i'm buying a Kimber and I hear "First thing you gotta do is get some wilson mags" Let's hear your advice on Wilson Magazines, or any other magazines, or even Kimbers factory mags. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice Wanted On Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VHinch
October 29, 2006, 03:20 AM
Best advice I can give is don't buy cheap magazines, i.e. Triple K and such, and don't rush out and buy a bunch of any one brand of magazine until you know what your gun likes. Your Kimber may run the best with Wilsons, it may run the best with Novaks. Try out a couple before you settle on any one brand.

V

cuervo
October 29, 2006, 05:01 AM
Not Kimber, but I had a Ruger P345 that was having jamming problems.

I replaced the mag springs and followers with Wilsons and the problem went away.

Dr. Dickie
October 29, 2006, 05:24 AM
The collective wisdom seems to be (don't yell at me, I am just the relaying the information) is that other than Colt, Wilson and Mec Gar magazines seem to function in the most number of 1911s with the fewest problems. The problem with Colt magazines are that way too many of the ones you see sold at reduced prices are fakes (E-bay), so you are better off sticking with Wilson and Mec Gar.
As VHinch said, don't buy cheap (in production) magazines, they will cause you all manner of problems--and some expensive magazines are cheap--like fake Colts. Also, don't get ten round magazines, stick with the traditonal 7 or extended to 8.
I would say, about 90+% of the problems you hear about 1911's comes down to:
1) Extractor tension problems
2) Cheap magazines
Again, this is the result of lots of reading and a couple of mistakes (I NOW have nothing but Colt and Mec Gar, and they have performed flawlessly. A friend uses nothing but Wilson and no problems).

Jeff White
October 29, 2006, 06:00 AM
Chip McCormick Power mags. Hilton Yam, custom 1911 smith recommends CMC Powermags. Hilton knows more about 1911s then I could ever hope to.

I've used nothing but Wilson 47Ds (only loaded with 7 rounds) in my duty weapon since I started carrying a 1911. I've got one of the 4 duty magazines with a weak spring and it will no longer lock the slide back. That magazine had been in service since April of 05.

I've since relegated the 47Ds to range use and carry the CMC mags on duty.

Jeff

HSMITH
October 29, 2006, 09:11 AM
I use CMC Powermags in competition and for carry. They work every time.

Wilson mags are OK once you put a good spring in them.

GI mags work well, as do Metalform 7 rounders.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that nothing but 7 rounders are reliable. I have tens of thousands of rounds of evidence to the contrary but YMMV.

10-Ring
October 30, 2006, 01:06 AM
I've got 10 Wilson mags - all 8 rounders and in the thousands of rounds through my Colt, I've not had a single mag related hiccup. I've been told there is a less expensive alternative out there, but why fix what ain't broke?
I'm totally satisfied w/ Wilsons :D

daysleeprx
October 30, 2006, 01:19 AM
I have Wilson 47Ds, Metalforms, and some mags that came with my Norinco, and they've all been awesome.

aaronrkelly
October 30, 2006, 04:32 AM
Only Wilson mags in my Kimber.

Reason? I have a aluminum frame gun, some of the magazines that have metal followers will ding up the feedramp. The Wilsons have a polymer follower.

I also believe they are the best magazine out there and would insist on them on any 1911 I was carrying for defensive purposes.

possum
October 30, 2006, 06:39 AM
chip mccormic(sp) mags, other than the factory mags that come with the 1911 i use chip mccormick mags they work great and they aren't priced that bad at all.

ugaarguy
October 30, 2006, 01:20 PM
Here's a link to a discussion on the topic over in gunsmithing http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=229073

FireArmFan
November 1, 2006, 02:22 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice and input. I think i'll end up buying a few different kinds and see which one works best.

Steelcore
November 1, 2006, 08:21 AM
I bought 10 GI mags from http://www.ammoman.com
They were niw and functioned flawlessly with winchester hardball in my Les Baer TRS.My 10 yr old McCormick mags worked flawlessly too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice Wanted On Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!