question about .45 ammo

PDA

B yond
October 29, 2006, 01:05 PM
I'm new to .45's so please forgive my ignorance.

I was at the gun shop the other day starting paperwork on my new p345 when I was told that the .45 Auto cartridge is different from the .45 ACP.

I was under the impression they were the same until I heard that, so I came home and started an internet search to see what I could find about the ballistics of .45 Auto. Lo and behold, all google is giving me is info for .45 ACP. :confused:

Are they the same? If not, where can I get some info about .45 auto?

If you enjoyed reading about "question about .45 ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Starter52
October 29, 2006, 01:14 PM
.45 Auto and .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) are the same. Don't believe everything you hear in a gun shop.

Other .45 rounds are the .45 Colt and .45 GAP (Glock Automatic Pistol) and the .45 Auto Rim, among others.

mljdeckard
October 29, 2006, 01:15 PM
Who told you that?

Now, understand, there are some variations, .45 LC (Long Colt), .454 Casull, .45 super, etc. but .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) and .45 GAP (Glock auto pistol) are the only '.45 autos' I am aware of. Whomever told you this, were they able to show you a cartridge that is different than .45 ACP or a gun that fires it?

This article refers to the pistol both as .45 and being chambered for .45 ACP.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=5944

ClarkEMyers
October 29, 2006, 01:21 PM
.45 Automatic is the correct name for the cartridge some call .45 ACP. See e.g. page 827 of Volume 1 of the Sixth Edition of the Hornady Handbook. Like .45 Long Colt the name .45 ACP is long used and well understood - and criticized by purists.

If John Browning's design had failed of adoption (as if :neener: ) the cartridge might be identified today with the Savage or some other design - can you imagine a 9mm Luger and a .45 Luger? Of course the 1911 might properly be called .45 Automatic Colt Pistol - except I carry a 1911A1 in 9X23 :)

B yond
October 29, 2006, 01:33 PM
I should've known better that to listen to the gun store guy. I asked him was a box of 50 .45 auto cartridges cost and he told me $30. :what:

gudel
October 29, 2006, 01:39 PM
45 Auto = 45 ACP.
Walmart sells 100rd 45 Auto for $25 around here.

bakert
October 29, 2006, 02:04 PM
I would advise you to find a different gun shop on the future.:scrutiny:

kirkcdl
October 29, 2006, 02:14 PM
ACP stands for "Automatic Colt Pistol".There is a relatively obsolete cartridge that is called the "45 Auto-Rim",but the two you're asking about are the same.And $30 for a box of 45acp ammo is quite a bit too much,follow bakert's advice and find a better dealer to give your money to...

salvador31c
October 29, 2006, 04:38 PM
Dude are we talking gun shop or pawn shop i could understand them being dumb dumbs at a pawn shop but at a gun shop thats just plain sad :( i would look for a diff place to buy you stuff or if you have to buy there just ignor their hooha and do your own research on-line as you just did:)

mljdeckard
October 29, 2006, 07:03 PM
I've asked perfectly reasonable questions of the staff at Impact more than once, and gotten the Homer Simpson blink in return. (Expertise is too expensive for them.)

MachIVshooter
October 29, 2006, 07:25 PM
Now, understand, there are some variations, .45 LC (Long Colt), .454 Casull, .45 super, etc.

.45 Colt. Just Colt.

but .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) and .45 GAP (Glock auto pistol) are the only '.45 autos' I am aware of.

.45 ACP short, .45 Win Mag and .45 Webley automatic.

B yond:

.45 ACP and .45 Auto are the same cartridge. Most firearms and ammunition will be marked with the latter. Same for .25 Auto, .32 Auto and .380 Auto. The guns/cartridges were developed by JMB and Colt for Colt produced, Browning designed firearms.

Taurus 617 CCW
October 29, 2006, 07:41 PM
I would like to have some words with this quote "gun shop dealer." He doesn't know his :cuss: from a hole in the ground. I can reload match grade .45 ACP ammunition with premium brass for what he says a "box-uh-fifty" goes for. Kudos to you for checking on that one. No body here will look down on you for asking about such things but you would kick yourself if you bought into his :cuss: and found out later. That's why we are all here.

If you enjoyed reading about "question about .45 ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!