getting a new P345, want a light

PDA

B yond
October 29, 2006, 01:50 PM
:D
The paperwork is in on my new Ruger P345, now I just have to wait 10 days. The way I see it, that gives me 10 days to shop for accessories.

The plan is for the Ruger to replace my Hi-Point 9mm as primary home defense sidearm, so I'd like to mount a light to it, which is where I need some suggestions. I'm a cheap bahstid so I'd like to keep it under $50, but it needs to mount to the picatinny rail on the p345 and have an on/off mechanism that can be operated quickly, prefferably with the same hand that holds the weapon. I'd like it if it was easy to install/remove without tools, but that's not as important as the low price to me. I'd also like it to be as bright as possible for the price range.

I'd also be interested in any inexpensive holsters that can accommodate this pistol with a light mounted.

Last but not least, I'd love to hear the ammo preferences of others who own these pistols. I'm going to try to keep ammo cost to a minimun (big suprise, right?) but i still want good short-range performance and reliability in a JHP.

If you enjoyed reading about "getting a new P345, want a light" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BlkHawk73
October 29, 2006, 02:01 PM
The plan is for the Ruger to replace my Hi-Point 9mm as primary home defense sidearm, so I'd like to mount a light to it, which is where I need some suggestions. I'm a cheap bahstid so I'd like to keep it under $50,

So you want to skimp out on the light source for your home defence gun? Hmmm..Well, ok, I'd opt for something high quality were it me needing a set-up which if needed could be a determining factor in my longevity but to each thier own...:p Start hittin' ebay!

bender
October 29, 2006, 02:04 PM
I have a new ruger P345. Mine doesn't feed my Rainier reloads reliably. It does feed my FMJ RN bullets reliably, however. Haven't tried any JHPs yet.

If I was gonna rely on it, I'd just shoot FMJ RN ammo, at least in my experience.

B yond
October 29, 2006, 02:12 PM
So you want to skimp out on the light source for your home defence gun? Hmmm..Well, ok

I told you I'm a cheap bahstid.

I'm so uptight I can put a piece of coal between my cheeks and make a diamond. :o

I just got up the nerve to replace my ultra-cheap Hi-Point, I can't go out and spend a fortune on a light. Baby steps...

Chuck Perry
October 29, 2006, 02:16 PM
These look promising. Don't have one myself so can't comment first hand.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/LIGHT127-41754-2202.html

BlkHawk73
October 29, 2006, 04:24 PM
Ok, Like I said, I'd want a more quality item if it would be a life or death situation abd it were my or my fami.llies well being on the line. Is your well being that unimportant to trust it to cheap fodder?
Maybe get some coal and turn it to some nice diamonds, sell them off and get a better light. :D

hexidismal
October 29, 2006, 04:51 PM
If you want to go real cheap, you can get a mountable flashlight/laser combo made by NCSTAR for about $40 .. I think they make just the mountable light also, I'm not sure how much that goes for .. probably around $25 or so. I'm not saying it would be the least bit good, I'm just saying it'd be cheap.

As for the P345 though, mine has somewhere around 1000 or maybe even 1500 (factory manufactured) rounds thru it and has never had even a single FTF.
You might hear some bad things about it , and almost always those things are due to user error.. the biggest two causes of damage in the p345 are dry-firing with the magazine removed and replacing the recoil spring in backwards after field stripping .. both of which are specifically listed in the instruction booklet as things NOT TO DO.

ugaarguy
October 29, 2006, 04:57 PM
Lee Lapin, who posts quite a bit over the shotguns section, recommended these; http://www.popguns.com/ledwave/Z5.htm. I'll be trying one when I return from overseas.

JDGray
October 29, 2006, 05:39 PM
I dont have a rail on my P345, so I cant help ya there. Rem golden sabres, feed great in my gun, so do winchester JHP, in my reloads. I have some Aguilla IQs, that I wont get again because of cost, that feed great also. About the only thing that dont feed great in my P345, are Rainier SWC, if I played arround with the OAL, Im sure they would feed, but I had a 10% ftf rate with them, and it feeds all RN bullets great, so I didnt try. Enjoy your new gun, when you get it:D

BevrFevr
October 29, 2006, 07:48 PM
I am going to get the very same one he gave the link for. Looks very promissing. I have a flashlight fetish and I think Lots of what you find out there is overpriced. I own a surefire flashlight and it is a damn fine instrument but I can't bring myself to buy a weaponlight at full price.

Another reason I am going with the z5 is because it is narrower than the SureFires.

I can let you know how mine does when I get it if you want.

-bevr

Anna's Dad
October 30, 2006, 07:20 PM
Last but not least, I'd love to hear the ammo preferences of others who own these pistols

I'm paraphrasing a post I read on THR many months ago: I'm pretty sure if I duct taped paperclips around a firecracker the Ruger P345 would shoot it.

I haven't found any ammo mine won't eat! Wish I could say the same about some of my other 45s.

BevrFevr
November 3, 2006, 09:16 PM
Well I got mine and it is nice EXCEPT... every once in a while, right after you put the light on the gun, the on switch don't work. a tap or a shake will fix it.

So in other words spend the money and get a surefire instead.

-bevr

Chuck Perry
November 3, 2006, 09:33 PM
:banghead:

asknight
November 4, 2006, 01:21 AM
Glock makes a very affordable light for $99. It's durability and utility will surprise you.

Mine is residing on a Taurus 24/7 Pro 45.

If you enjoyed reading about "getting a new P345, want a light" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!