Tao Te BOOM - The Way of the Gun

PDA

DigitalWarrior
May 18, 2003, 10:47 AM
I was inspired by a MeekandMild's post on another thread. What do you think the characteristics of a religion whose devotions involved gun practice?

One could easily imagine a monastic, ascetic religion where individuals sought enlightenment by constant gun practice. This of course leads to freedom of religion arguments for RKBA, recalling the progress the Native American Church has had in doing their otherwise forbidden 'thing'.

An excerpt from a sacred work in progress:
"Heaven and Earth are not peaceful,
And regard the people as straw dogs.
The sage is not peaceful,
And regards all things as straw dogs.
The space between Heaven and Earth is just like a firearm's chamber:
Empty it, it is not exhausted.
Squeeze it and more comes out.

Investigating it with a lot of talk
Is not like holding to the center.
Practice brings you to the 10 ring
The 10 ring brings you salvation."

Disclaimer:
To whatever Gods it may concern,
Sorry, didn't mean to blaspheme on Sunday.
D.W.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tao Te BOOM - The Way of the Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
May 18, 2003, 05:31 PM
I've found the concentration involved in target shooting is very similar to meditation. Being an atheist, I don't find anything religious in it, but do believe most forms of mental and physical intensity are good for the mind.

Preacherman
May 18, 2003, 11:01 PM
DigitalWarrior, you and I need to have a LOOOONG talk... :D

vertigo7
May 18, 2003, 11:40 PM
DigitalWarrior, go buy/rent the Equilibrium DVD. The Gun Kata is exactly what you're looking for.

(edit: well, ok.. strictly speaking, it's more a martial art than a religion... but definitely worth a look).

Nightcrawler
May 19, 2003, 12:00 AM
Is it really a religion, per-se, if it doesn't involve believe in and/or worship of a deity? Wouldn't it be more of a philosophy, then? (Of course, your religion can be whatever you say it is, but I'm just nitpicking.)

*shrug* Don't expect me to sign up or anything (I'm pretty firmly in the monotheism camp, myself), but if L. Ron Hubbard can have his own religion (and charge mega-bucks to join) then I suppose we can to, hey?

badgerrr
May 19, 2003, 02:05 AM
"Wouldn't it be more of a philosophy, then? "

Where philosophy ends and Religion begins can be a very fine distinction. Many of the Eastern Religions are in the thick of this.

One drawback I can see in such a Monestary. Religious people with guns attract the ATF like flies. The government may assure that you meet your maker - a little early. :fire:

You a Taoist too, Digital? Could there possibly be 2 of us on a board at the same time? ;)

cratz2
May 19, 2003, 02:31 AM
While my religious leanings are much more conventional, I've said before than handgunning at 100 yards with iron sights is a very Zen activity. There's no way that someone can actually line up their sights accurately with a 5" black dot at 100 yards... but you know how to line them up at 15 yards... and 25 yards and 50 yards. You just do the exact same thing and envision the bullet going where it's supposed to.

Works for me! :p

general
May 19, 2003, 04:41 AM
Come on down to DigitalWarriors' Holy Church of the Sacred Firearm. Services early Sunday - Range practice immediately follows with BBQ!
(no blaspheme intended)

Feanaro
May 19, 2003, 11:21 AM
Philosophy and religion are almost the same thing. In general religion is the reverance and worship of something. God, nature, the good in the world and so on. There are exceptions, Zen and such. So if you worship guns it could be a religion. Or if you think they can lead to enlightenment it could be a religion. I don't take it that far though. :D

Oh, BTW, true quote from a church sign: "Christians Gone Wild!" :what:

Trebor
May 19, 2003, 11:50 AM
I'm a Taosist, I'm just a Tactial Taoist.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tao Te BOOM - The Way of the Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!