most accurate factory .308 ammo?

PDA

possum
October 29, 2006, 05:43 PM
I am thinking about picking up a savage model 10fp around tax return time and i was wondering what are some good accurate factory loads? it will be used for paper punching exclusively, and will have the zero reconfirmed every 6 months or so and just get put away. so what do you guys shoot, in ya'lls long range bolt guns? I am looking for something that shoots good but is easy on the wallet, to zero and get the dope for the rifle. which i would like to be less expensive and then later down the road after i get all that squared away i can go to some more accurate, a little more expensive loads, after i get the piliminaries out of the way! any help would be much appreciated. thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "most accurate factory .308 ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
October 29, 2006, 06:24 PM
The most accurate is likely to be the Federal Sierra MatchKing load, or any other load with the SMK bullet. However you really just hav to try different loads to see which particular ne your gun likes. One of my '06's shoots it's absolute best with the cheap Remington corelokt load, I would hav never guessed that when I started.

Davo
October 29, 2006, 07:15 PM
Ive heard for the money black hills match loads are great, but federal match is the "gold" standard.

goalie
October 29, 2006, 07:25 PM
The Federal Gold Medal Match ammo shoots a little less than MOA on a good day, and about 1 MOA normally in my 10FP out to 300 yards.

My handloads shoot much better though.

ocabj
October 29, 2006, 07:32 PM
Get a box of Federal Gold Medal Match 168, Federal Gold Medal Match 175, Black Hills red box 168, and Black Hills red box 175. Naked, no moly.

Test all 4 boxes to find the most accurate one in your rifle.

Federal is expensive. Black Hills is cheaper. Some rifles shoot Federal better. Others shoot Black Hills better. Some rifles shoot both equally good. Some rifles can't shoot either good.

Start reloading if you plan on shooting regularly.

stoky
October 29, 2006, 07:43 PM
Lake City LR 175gr M118
Flunks your easy on the wallet critera though. :uhoh:

Taurus 617 CCW
October 29, 2006, 08:11 PM
For factory loads I prefer the black hills gold ammo. I reload for my .308 and use winchester brass with 41 grains of IMR 3031 powder, topped off with a 155 gr. Nosler Custom Competetion HPBT. They do wonders on targets. I have also heard that handloaded Sierra Matchkings are great.

possum
October 29, 2006, 10:32 PM
thanks guys for all the replies and great advise, i was planning on definetly trying some black hills loads and the federal match, i have heard great things about them. i wish i had the space and time to reload, maybe in the future, i know that is the best way to go but i will settle for moa out to 300yds that is plenty accurate enough for me.

Lake City LR 175gr M118
yeah not only does it flunk the cost part, but i personally think there are better rds out there for less and most people only want it because it is military m118 "special" and all that jazz. i might try a box just to see how good it reall is, but I know there are companies that make .308 that is that accurate and for less. my buddy shots that exclusivly in his m24, but paid like $400 for 1000rds and that is absolutly crazy to me.

db_tanker
October 30, 2006, 06:25 AM
My favorite is the SMK 168 Moly with a good dose of AA2520 in my 308.

In factory loads, I cannot say anything bad about the Federals using Sierra bullets.

D

Zak Smith
October 30, 2006, 12:05 PM
The standard by which factory ammunition is judged, in the USA at least, is Federal Gold Medal Match, in 175gr or 168gr varieties (175gr is the correct choice for 1000 yard shooting). It is most likely to shoot well in most 308 rifles.

Pumpkinheaver
October 30, 2006, 03:47 PM
Federal Gold Metal and Black Hills match ammo is pretty good factory ammo. Personally, I load my own.

C-grunt
October 30, 2006, 05:06 PM
My 10fp shoots the Federal pretty accuratly, but its favorite round is the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in 150 or 168 grains. It also shot the Hornady TAP 168s accurately.

If you enjoyed reading about "most accurate factory .308 ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!