Swanee Hunt - Media Manipulator

PDA

general
May 18, 2003, 11:56 AM
Ok - I'm pissed..... AGAIN!
Rocky Mountain News.com (http://www.insidedenver.com/drmn/news_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_86_1964989,00.html)
Million Moms still on the march
May 18, 2003

The carnage of the Civil War led activist Julia Ward Howe to propose an annual Mother's Day for Peace.

Likewise, the carnage in our streets, our schools and our homes due to lax gun laws galvanized over 750,000 demonstrators to gather in Washington, D.C., for the Million Mom March for sensible gun laws in 2000.

That year, 3,042 children and teenagers were killed by firearms in the United States - one every three hours. That's a school bus full each week.

Mary Leigh Blek, director of the march, says, "The measure of a successful society is how well we protect our children. In the U.S., we're not doing that well." The Million Mom March is building a powerful grass-roots movement to educate the public about the severity of the problem.

In three years since the group's formation, Million Mom activists have made important gains. In New Jersey, they led the successful fight last year to pass the first Childproof Handgun Law in the country. In Michigan, they convinced the Detroit Free Press to stop advertising handguns. In Minnesota, Missouri and Ohio, they protested new concealed-handgun legislation; all three bills were defeated.

A review by the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms revealed that between July 1996 and December 1998, gun shows were "a major trafficking channel" and were associated with the diversion of approximately 26,000 firearms into the illegal market.

A November 2001 Chicago Tribune article described a manual entitled "How Can I Train Myself for Jihad," found at a training facility in Afghanistan for an Islamic terrorist organization. The manual singles out the United States for its easy availability of firearms.

International terrorists have penetrated our homes - but not with explosives. Instead, in our fear, we're buying guns and killing each other.

Following Sept. 11, handgun purchases skyrocketed. But guns kept at home for protection are 22 times more likely to kill a family member or friend than to kill an intruder. The Journal of the American Medical Association reports that more teenagers die as a result of gunshot wounds than from all natural causes combined.

Stronger gun laws reduce violence. Since the passage almost 10 years ago of the Brady bill, which requires gun stores to perform criminal background checks on gun buyers, gun deaths have dropped from 120 each day to 80.

The next Million Mom March is scheduled to take place on Mother's Day 2004. Mark it on your calendar.
Scripps Howard News Service
:barf: :cuss: :fire:
Don't have time to deal with this now....
Going to the range for a few hours........
:cuss: Media Manipulators......................

If you enjoyed reading about "Swanee Hunt - Media Manipulator" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
justice4all
May 18, 2003, 01:53 PM
Minnesota and Missouri legislatures both passes CC laws, if I'm not mistaken.

And then there's the ubiquitous 22 times more likely crap.

I stopped my subscription to the Denver Newspaper Agency after they stopped accepting ads for firearms from non-FFLs, and columns like this make me glad I did, although I do miss the coupons.

If these people really cared about the epidemic of teen violence, they would go after the root cause, which is the gang warfare associated with the War on Drugs. The murders would still occur, even if we could somehow magically make all guns disappear, because there is so much money in eliminating the competition.

Standing Wolf
May 18, 2003, 05:44 PM
Now you know why I refuse to subscribe to either of the Denver newspapers.

general
May 19, 2003, 03:26 AM
justice4all & Standing Wolf:
This is precisely why I continue my subscription... I want to read and dispute the lies they SPEW! AAAAGGGGHHHHH!
They piss me off to no end!
If no-one disputes these lies... what then?
Sorry - but "I'm madder than heck and I'm not gonna' take it any more!"
I'm going to personally respond to every single piece of bias and media manipulation I see, read or hear about! This thing with the NY Times.. Just the beginning... We need to light a fire in the media about bias being just as bad or worse than out-right plagiarism. Since when did it become OK to manipulate the media to further a political agenda? Since when did it become OK to LIE in so called "NEWS" reports to influence public policy. And, since when did it become OK to out right lie to the public regarding ANY - I was going to say significant news story- but - ANYTHING at all?
Yes - I know.... you say it won't make any difference.. but now with the plagarism issue in the media I'm going to hit them harder than ever.. I'll copy O'Reilly and FOX News and anyone else who will listen till this issue is addressed.
if more people complained... maybe things would change. Maybe these liberal "reporters" and "journalists" would have to get a "real" job -or start telling the truth, or at least both sides of the issue. Makes me just.... GRRRRRRRR.
Thanks for letting me vent. I'm sure the vein in my forehead is now not quite so prominent.... But I WILL persevere!
So - feed me facts to dispute this smelly garbage when you see it.
It makes me feel better.:neener:

general
May 19, 2003, 11:28 AM
I just sent out 3 emails.. one to Talk Back (<talkback@RockyMountainNews.com>)
and to the editor and managing editor. Couldn't find an e.mail address for Ms. Hunt but I did find this...www.womenwagingpeace.net (http://www.womenwagingpeace.net/content/whoweare/staff/huntbio.asp)
Anyway the response is as follows...
Dear Sirs,

Regarding Swanee Hunts' story of May 18th, "Million Moms still on the march", I just wanted to point out a few caveats.

When the ethically challenged write articles citing children and firearm deaths, "That year, 3,042 children and teenagers were killed by firearms in the United States - one every three hours. That's a school bus full each week." alarm bells go off in my head. They always fail to mention the rigorous standards by which they come up with these numbers. Likewise failing to mention that most of these "children" are over 14 and most of these deaths occurred in the commission of a crime or due to the victim being involved in gang activity, also some of these "children" are over 18. So when they use the "for the children" cry, it is a patently false argument. Bicycles kill far more children each year than guns. You will never hear about the "Ban the Bikes" movement.

Also, in response to the assertion that gun shows are a "major trafficking channel" and that 26,000 guns were diverted into the "illegal" market. Please have her site the specific ATF report on just exactly what laws were broken and what arrests were made. If existing firearms laws are being broken, isn't it the ATF's job to arrest these criminals and enforce the existing laws? I guess that would make too much sense, more gun laws are definitely the answer.

I will mark Mothers Day 2004 on my calendar. I want to remember to voice my opposition to an organization that so blatantly manipulates the media to further their liberal political agenda. But what I really want to know is, how can someone who looks so much like my own mother use lies and falsehoods to try to deprive me of my ability to protect myself?

Cordially,
XXXXXXXXX
:cuss: :fire: :banghead:
If I find an email for her... I'll send there too.

general
May 28, 2003, 11:09 AM
Well - they printed it in the Denver Post on the 28th
Letters to the Editor DPO 5/28/03 (http://www.insidedenver.com/drmn/opinion/article/0,1299,DRMN_38_1993380,00.html)
A few caveats about Million Moms column

Regarding Swanee Hunt's column of May 18, "Million Moms still on the march," I just wanted to make a few caveats.

When the ethically challenged write articles citing children and firearm deaths ("That year, 3,042 children and teenagers were killed by firearms in the United States - one every three hours. That's a school bus full each week.") alarm bells go off in my head. They always fail to mention the rigorous standards by which they come up with these numbers.

They fail to mention that most of these "children" are over 14 (some are over 18) and most of these deaths occurred in the commission of a crime or due to the victim being involved in gang activity. So when they use the "for the children" cry, it is a patently false argument. Bicycles kill far more children each year than guns. You will never hear about the "Ban the Bikes" movement.

I will mark Mothers Day 2004 on my calendar. I want to remember to voice my opposition to an organization that so blatantly manipulates the media to further their liberal political agenda.

justice4all
May 28, 2003, 07:20 PM
WAY TO GO GENERAL!!

fallingblock
May 30, 2003, 03:20 AM
And...there were only 75,000 marchers on that infamous political stunt...the extra "0" pops in whenever the anti's cite it:barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "Swanee Hunt - Media Manipulator" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!