Bending a strait bolt?

PDA

ndh87
October 30, 2006, 12:33 AM
Im looking at picking up a cheap mosin carbine, just to add to my collection. Only thing is, im not a big fan of the strait bold handle on mosins. I was wondering if anyone here knew of a way to bend it downward to an angle closer to what im used to (mauser, modern bolt rifles) Im aware that some people on here might :cuss: at the idea of changing the gun, but for 85 bucks, its not going to be a show piece.

Buying a new bolt or more likely bending the current one it what i had im mind. any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bending a strait bolt?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thexrayboy
October 30, 2006, 12:58 AM
Replacement bolts with a bend on them are available to facilitate the installation of a scope. Some places to check are Tapco, Cheaperthandirt,
J&G sales, AIMsurplus, Sportsmansguide, Natchez shooters supply, KY imports.
I'm sure there are other places that sell Nagant parts.

jlmurphy
October 30, 2006, 01:06 AM
It is common to bend bolt handles on Mauser actions, there are even jigs and heat sinks to make it easier. The MN action might be a problem in that the handle is in the middle of the bolt and not on the rear. The handle passes through the rear bridge slot and might be a problem if bent sharply. Cutting and welding a longer handle might be a solution, but I've never seen it done.

pete f
October 30, 2006, 05:38 AM
Done a bunch of Mauser 96 and 98 bolts, but never a MN, No one was interested in them when i was working in the shop...

Dale Taylor
October 30, 2006, 08:30 AM
check Jim Roberts "The Boltman" He modifies Moisin bolts for $39. Web site Has Photos. daleltaylor@att.net

dfaugh
October 30, 2006, 09:35 AM
Buy one of the bolts already bent ("sniper style"), as they are also longer. I've bent/welded Mauser bolts, but the ones on a Mosin are so short that they are cumbersome, even when bent.

ndh87
October 30, 2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the replies, i think i'll just go ahead and buy a sniper style bolt if i can find one for the right price.

on another note, how is the accuracy for a Mosin carbine?

White Horseradish
October 30, 2006, 08:44 PM
Accuracy depends on condition.

As far as bolt handles, a Mosin bolt that is bent without lengthening is about as useless as it gets. Leverage is severely reduced and it is very hard to grab.

dfaugh
October 31, 2006, 10:51 AM
how is the accuracy for a Mosin carbine

Pretty good, with GOOD AMMO. The only milsurp ammo that shot really accurately out of my M-44 was Czech Silvertip. But with commercial ammo, it was a very decent shooter. (NOTE: this was a re-arsenalled, never issued gun, so the rifling/crown were perfect. If you've got a worn one, especially one with a worn crown, accuracy will suffer.

Edited to add: accuracy with good ammo is more than adequate for say deer, as a woods (relatievly short range) rifle. In fact I personally think they make a nice deer gun. But I sold mine (got twice what I paid) as I didn't shoot it often, and we can't use rifles for deer around here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bending a strait bolt?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!