Info on Colt Defender

PDA

4thHorseman
December 24, 2002, 07:57 PM
Has anyone have or had a Colt Defender? I'm interested in your opion on it.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on Colt Defender" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
December 24, 2002, 08:08 PM
My gunsmith doesn't like 'em, calls 'em Colt "Offenders".

I think he's just seen too many that've had the hard surface anodizing buffed right off the frame by an overzealous ramp job.

(He claims to have heard the term from Mssr. Novak, who was apparently bitter that Colt's elected not to use his sights on the gun... ;) )

Wildalaska
December 25, 2002, 12:31 AM
The Colt Defender and its bigger brother, the Defender Plus, is IMHO absolutely the best platform to build a super custom carry gun.

In addition, even out of the box, they perform superbly. I have had only one failure to feed in hundreds of rounds (a Black Talon that had been run in and out of the mag too many times) and they are as accurate as all heck, even before I started working it.

To date, mine carries Novaks, an Ed Brown tactical safety and a steel feed ramp (an absolute must for any serious carry gun based on an aluminum frame when using aggressive ammo). Upcoming mods (when I get around to it)...accurails, beavertail, 30 lpi checkerered front strap, and Teflon.

Gewehr98
December 25, 2002, 01:17 AM
I'd seriously consider a Defender as a base gun to build a carry piece on.

Well, ok, that, or the compact Kimbers... :D

Wildalaska
December 25, 2002, 02:18 AM
My problem with the Kimbers is that really dumb series II safety..

And in a Kimber, you have to toss away those MIM parts, on the Colt, at least its functional out of the box....

Thumper
December 25, 2002, 10:20 PM
Yeah...my buddy used to call those "orthopedic Novak's."

Pendragon
December 26, 2002, 02:12 AM
I had one.

I liked it and disliked it at the same time.

Very unreliable with the mag that came with it (Colt mag). bought another colt mag ans it went drom 50% to 80% or so.

Wilson mags took it to very close to 100% reliable.

I wanted a 1911 I could shoot a LOT. The allow and AL concerned me. Showed it to John Jardine when I bought it and he showed me how much slop there was in the gun compared to the Valtro (kind of like comparing your high school girlfriend to a supermodel).

Anyway - even though the gun ran pretty good by that point, I just lost the love for it.

It was extremely accurate and not at all unpleasant to shoot, we just got off on the wrong foot...

Wildalaska
December 26, 2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Pendragon
Showed it to John Jardine when I bought it and he showed me how much slop there was in the gun compared to the Valtro (kind of like comparing your high school girlfriend to a supermodel).

Anyway - even though the gun ran pretty good by that point, I just lost the love for it.

It was extremely accurate and not at all unpleasant to shoot, we just got off on the wrong foot...

Bet you he tried to sell you a Valtro too :)

One of the misapphrehensions in the 1911 world is the issue of "tightness'...

Some tightness is good...too much is bad in a carry gun...you got to have some room in the tolerances...

Seems like you gave it away too soon...ran good, extemely accurate and not unpleasnat to shoot...sounds like a winner.

Pendragon
December 26, 2002, 04:10 AM
Actually, I had already bought the Valtro.

Believe me, Mr. Jardine does not have any trouble getting rid of them.

He spent well over 2 hours with me at the range ringing it in. I had brought my Defender because I was concerned and I wanted him to look at it.

It was running good with FMJ, but my mom bought me 3 boxes of Winchester JHPs (my mom is awsome) and these things jammed nearly every round.

Anyway,

Looking at the back of my Defender, it was very obvious that the frame to slide fit left something to be desired. This in its self is not necessarily a problem.

Jardine showed me the lugs on the gun and how it was locking up - it looked like one lug was taking most of the abuse - not bad, but not exciting.

We then examined the barrel and cam (?) assembly. The "axel" that held the barrel to the cam (right term?) had a fair amount of play in it. Jardine inserted the slide stop through the cam and there was play on all axis.

Anyway, I do not have a CCW - if I had one, I would probably have persued the Defender with more zeal. As it turned out, I ended up selling it and another gun to buy a couple of revolvers.

Most people think tightness is necessary in a 1911 for it to be reliable and that accuracy (which generally requires more tightness) and reliability are - at least at the extremes, mutually exclusive (or at least contentious).

The Valtro is an extremely tight 1911. Jardine laps the slides and framed himself to insure proper fit. The ring around the extractor (when looking at the rear of the slide) is so faint you almost do not notice it because it (and everything else) is fit so very well. The gun is utterly reliable and far more accurate than I can shoot (Jardine guarantees 3" @ 50 yards).

Ultimately, I discovered that my expectations for 1911s were raised to near impossible heights. I could barely afford the Valtro and in retro spect, probably should not have bought it. But it is going to be a long long time before I buy another pistol - revolvers have firmly captured my attention...

Wildalaska
December 26, 2002, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Pendragon

We then examined the barrel and cam (?) assembly. The "axel" that held the barrel to the cam (right term?) had a fair amount of play in it. Jardine inserted the slide stop through the cam and there was play on all axis.

The gun is utterly reliable and far more accurate than I can shoot (Jardine guarantees 3" @ 50 yards).

The terms I guess you are looking for are link and link pin. Some play in the link and link pin are no problem, especially in terms of a production gun.

Interestingly enough, my Defender, with no barrel work yet, and no frame work except for the steel feed ramp (I will eventually get accurails only for longevitity) shoots an inch at 15yards. Thats as good as Im gonna shoot and as far as Im ever gonna shoot.

Pendragon
December 28, 2002, 02:17 AM
Yes, my Defender was probably that accurate.

It was a good enough gun for what I paid for it ($600 barely used). But to me it seemed more like a "shoot a little, carry a lot" gun and I do not have a CCW. I decided I wanted guns I could shoot a lot and not feel like I could wear them out.

Now I own 1 Valtro and a S&W Model 10 and Model 14.

HABU
January 5, 2003, 10:18 PM
My Defender is a box stock model that I paid $600 for new in '98. It is my carry gun and is very reliable and acurate.

treeprof
January 5, 2003, 10:29 PM
Tamara - Were those the older ones, or the new ones? I got scared off of buying one abt 3 yrs ago due to various QC problem rumors I'd heard, but the newer ones look to be a little better. An FFL friend I trust says he's had all good reports from those he's sold them to (he just started carrying them abt a yr ago), and I'm considering one again.

MitchSchaft
January 6, 2003, 01:18 AM
I love mine: :)

Tamara
January 6, 2003, 09:26 AM
Were those the older ones, or the new ones?

Well, the issue my gunsmith has with them has nothing to do with old or new, rather it's a general disgruntlement with alloy frames and home gunsmithing. ;)

FJC
January 6, 2003, 01:51 PM
I've been very happy with my Defender. I did have to replace an extractor after the Colt one broke (they had a run of bad ones, if you had a bad one it broke in 200-400 rounds). Since installing/tuning a Wilson Bulletproof one it has run flawlessly.

http://www.condron.com/pics/colt/def-ang-1a.jpg

I put ultra-thin wood grips on it - it disappears complete with a Sparks VM2 holster. :)

Wildalaska
January 6, 2003, 02:39 PM
How about this one....

http://www.wildwestguns.com/Pistolsmithing/Defenderleft.jpg

Jspy
January 7, 2003, 08:07 PM
I like mine. Looks real sharp with the carbon fiber grips which are almost the same color as the frame.

Nice Defender Alaska; how do you like the checkered front strap?

Pendragon
January 7, 2003, 08:56 PM
Those look pretty nice.

WildAlaska - did you have additional dehorning done on your gun?

My Defender was like a fist full of razorblades.

4thHorseman
January 7, 2003, 10:12 PM
Hello Pendragon,
When did you get your Defender? Does it have a new roll mark? I have a Colt Magnum Carry, it was the same way. I had to stone off all the sharp edges also.

Wildalaska
January 8, 2003, 01:09 AM
did you have additional dehorning done on your gun?

Yep, first thing anyown should do...get out that file and start tastefully De-edging..

Honestly I dont like the melt look, not the Kimber "rounds"..but the edges on a Defender do need to be busted...

how do you like the checkered front strap?

I think it is an absolute necessity in a carry gun...

Pendragon
January 8, 2003, 04:55 AM
I no longer have my Defender - sold it to buy a couple of Smiths, one of which I just traded for another Smith :rolleyes:

Texas_RED
January 8, 2003, 02:46 PM
Nice looking Defenders! I've been thinking about having my tricked out, what types of things have you guys done to yours (barrels, bushings, triggers etc.)

guitarfxr
November 12, 2007, 12:47 AM
Mine is stock. I bought it new about 8 months ago and have put 2500 rounds through it without problem. Most of them have been Winchester JHP. I have 6 colt SS mags and no problems with the mags either.

The gun shoots within 4 inches at 20 yards, better than I shoot usually.

I have been carrying it since I bought it and love it.

Lonestar49
November 12, 2007, 01:28 AM

She had some teathing problems thru the first 300 rounds, but since I bought Wilson combat mags, and then cleaned up the factory mags, she shoots both 230gr FMJ and JHP with no problems using either mags.

Just keep her wet (well lubed) and clean, and she'll perform at 100%, 800 rounds to date.

Ls

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/Lonestar49/Picture214-1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on Colt Defender" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!