Walther PPK/S vs. S&W 3954

PDA

Chris17404
October 30, 2006, 01:03 PM
Hi all,

I am considering either a Walther (S&W made) PPK/S or a S&W 3954/3953 for a CCW piece. Does anyone happen to a pictures containing both guns side-by-side at various angles so I can see the differences in size? I handled a PPK/S at a local gun show this weekend and I really liked it. But I'm also considering a 3954 at a local shop. I wish I could handle both at the same time to compare them, but I can't. Thanks for the help.

Oh, and if anyone has comments on either of these choices, I'm all ears.

Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther PPK/S vs. S&W 3954" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Great Scot
October 30, 2006, 03:50 PM
For what its worth, I have owned both and the Smith was much more pleasant to shoot. It was also much more reliable (no problems at all). It is a little bigger than the PPK/S, but it fires a more powerful cartridge that is generally cheaper to buy. Being a blowback, the Walther has a surprising amount of recoil, and the PPKs' slides have been known to bite their owners. The new Smith/Walthers have a semi-beavertail and are less likely to nip the hand.

That said, the Walther's are great looking guns and they are very tempting. They also have the whole Bond thing. However, in my opinion, the Smith is a much better choice. Hope this helps.

obiwan1
October 30, 2006, 04:43 PM
I agree - buy the Smith. :D

Alan Fud
October 30, 2006, 09:11 PM
I can post a PPK next to a 3913 if you're interested.

ETXhiker
October 30, 2006, 09:23 PM
Handle them both and I think you will go with the S&W. I would much prefer 9mm over .380 and the Smith should be just about as easy to carry.

Steve 48
October 31, 2006, 11:49 AM
I have them both and would rather carry my 3913 rather than my PPKS. However, both are well made and accurate. Steve 48

Alan Fud
November 10, 2006, 06:36 PM
Here is the 3913TSW next to the PPK ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f190.jpg

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f191.jpg

... hope this helps.

Alan Fud
November 10, 2006, 06:41 PM
Another option is the Colt Pocket Nine ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f154.jpg

... same size as the PPK ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f155.jpg

... but in 9mm parabellum. Here it is next to the Smith & Wesson 3913TSW ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f153-1.jpg

Bart Noir
November 10, 2006, 09:24 PM
Ah, the Pocket Nine. I have only ever seen one, and watched it sell for $800. So the choices can include this rare and expensive pistol, but for most people, it will not be in the running. The used S&W compact models can be found for just under $300. I am not sure what the used price of the PPK tends to be, but I am confident that even the new price is much less than 800.

Bart Noir

Alan Fud
November 11, 2006, 07:24 AM
I don't know what the current price is but a couple of years ago NIB models were going for $500-$600.

redbone
November 11, 2006, 08:12 AM
There is a Colt Pocket Nine on gunsamerica now for $750, listed with no box and in 98% condition.

RBH

Lone_Gunman
November 11, 2006, 08:34 AM
If a Colt Pocket Nine ever breaks something, I bet it is a bitch to find parts for it. I wonder if Colt even still has a good supply of parts. The gun was only in production for a very short amount of time before the lawsuit stopped it.

redbone
November 11, 2006, 08:38 AM
LG:

I always wondered why more Pocket Nines weren't made. First I've heard of a lawsuit. Can you provide a quick description of what happened?

Thanks.

RBH

Steve H
November 11, 2006, 09:39 AM
This is the also my first time to see a Pocket Nine. It looks like what I have been looking for until yesterday. Yesterday I had some time to kill, went into the local gun shop and walked out with a Colt Mustang Pocketlite new in the box, never shot never loaded. Now I have to figure out if I want to carry ir or put it away and try to find a Pocket Nine.........

Lone_Gunman
November 11, 2006, 09:48 AM
Colt infringed on Kahr's patent rights, and Kahr sued. Production was halted by Colt, and a settlement was reached with Kahr.

redneckrepairs
November 11, 2006, 09:51 AM
I never knew all the details of the suit on the pocket 9 but if iirc some part of it infrenged on Kahr's patents , and Khar sued and won .

CDH
November 11, 2006, 12:14 PM
Don't over look the new kid on the block, the Springfield EMP.
I replaced my Walther PP with the EMP because the EMP is the same size as the Walther except for another 1/2" grip length which I don't find difficult to conceal.

You can lament the loss of the Pocket Nine Colt, but the EMP replaces it for size, and gives you 9+1 capacity on top of that.

Carter

Alan Fud
November 11, 2006, 07:33 PM
here is a Colt Pocket Nine on gunsamerica now for $750, listed with no box and in 98% condition. I guess when I purchased mine a couple of years ago, I made a good investment.

If a Colt Pocket Nine ever breaks something, I bet it is a bitch to find parts for it. I wonder if Colt even still has a good supply of parts. The gun was only in production for a very short amount of time before the lawsuit stopped it.That's why I picked up a few of them -- if something break in one of them, I can use a part from one of the other ones. :)

I always wondered why more Pocket Nines weren't made. First I've heard of a lawsuit. Can you provide a quick description of what happened?
Colt infringed on Kahr's patent rights, and Kahr sued. Production was halted by Colt, and a settlement was reached with Kahr.
I never knew all the details of the suit on the pocket 9 but if iirc some part of it infrenged on Kahr's patents , and Khar sued and won .Colt won the appeal so there is nothing stopping them from re-introducing the gun.

This is the also my first time to see a Pocket Nine. It looks like what I have been looking for until yesterday. Yesterday I had some time to kill, went into the local gun shop and walked out with a Colt Mustang Pocketlite new in the box, never shot never loaded. Now I have to figure out if I want to carry ir or put it away and try to find a Pocket Nine.........The Pocket Nine is the same size as the Mustang, is DAO, chambered for the 9mm parabellum and is +P rated. If you have the opportunity to buy one, don't pass it up,

Don't over look the new kid on the block, the Springfield EMP.
I replaced my Walther PP with the EMP because the EMP is the same size as the Walther except for another 1/2" grip length which I don't find difficult to conceal.

You can lament the loss of the Pocket Nine Colt, but the EMP replaces it for size, and gives you 9+1 capacity on top of that.The Pocket Nine is the size of a PPK and disappears in the pocket. I can't see myself carrying a cocked & locked 1911 in my pocket.

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther PPK/S vs. S&W 3954" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!