Hard chroming Aluminum frames

PDA

pippin53
October 30, 2006, 10:54 PM
I've had a crazy idea of finding a beater Walther P5 and hard chroming it. Then I thought I remembered some problems in HC of the aluminum. Does anyone know of anyone who can do this? Or does it have to be made silver-tone in some other fashion? Or is this just a bad idea? The thought of a HC'd P5 with Hogue rubber grips just tickles my fancy.
Ken

If you enjoyed reading about "Hard chroming Aluminum frames" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BullfrogKen
October 31, 2006, 12:49 AM
You can't apply it to aluminum.

JMACDONALD
October 31, 2006, 01:51 AM
Metalife can do it. They nickel the frame then chrome over the nickel.

pedaldude
October 31, 2006, 03:06 AM
I've heard of it done, don't know how well it works though.

Shipwreck
October 31, 2006, 08:15 AM
As said above, it must be a 2 step process. Some places can hard chrome the slide for U, and do a matching polymer coat on the frame - so, they both look the same.

Houser52
October 31, 2006, 10:02 AM
I had the Springfield Custom Shop do a "Super Tuned" package on my
Light Weight Ultra Compact 8 or 10 years ago. I also had it hard chromed while they had it. The alloy frame was nickel plated before it could be hard chromed. It still looks good and has held up great.
The HC was actually done by another company. Uhhhh... somewhere in Fla. Sorry but I can't remember the name of the company.

nonquixote
October 31, 2006, 10:26 AM
I have an alloy framed CZ that was hard chromed by Accurate Plating and Weaponry. Very handsome matte finish with brushed flats on the slide. Very durable so far.

HSMITH
October 31, 2006, 11:14 PM
The frame needs to be copper plated, then nickle and finally hard chrome. Accurate Plating and Weaponry does the best job I have seen on alloy guns. Call and talk to them about it.

schmeky
October 31, 2006, 11:22 PM
If JMcDonald is referring to the outfit in Pennsylvannia, I strongly recommend you consider someone else. I recently used them and the service was way below acceptable. Overall quality was also below acceptable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hard chroming Aluminum frames" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!