A little advice on a purchase

PDA

realmswalker
October 31, 2006, 03:49 AM
Hello,

I did some research on a rangefinder and the leica 1200 and got nothing but good reviews from this site and others. So i went and found one being auctioned. Here is the description of it. The pictures look clean also.

This is a Leica Rangemaster LRF 1200 Scan rangefinder. These were given as a gift for last years hunt, but were never used. They are in flawless like new conditon. The lenses and casing are scratch free. They are in perfect working condition and can be used in meter or yards. They are powered by a 9V battery. They come as pictured with original box, paper work, warranty card, carry case, & strap. Buyer to pay $12 s/h in the continental US. Thanks for looking!!!

the price is up to 305 right now with my max bid of 350 in. Should I raise my max bid for this item? and If i do, what price should i pay on the far outside before this isn't much of a deal anymore? Thank you for your time and help.

If you enjoyed reading about "A little advice on a purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chestnut ridge
October 31, 2006, 04:18 AM
Does not seem like much of a good deal. Also the admission concerning
the unit being over a year old makes me wonder if it is a factory refurb.
I have had several different types; and about 25% have some sort of
defect. Look towards a manufacture with the best warranty.

DesertShooter
October 31, 2006, 11:44 AM
I have to "second" the thoughts of Chestnut Ridge, for....you're unable to actually see the item before you buy it. It MAY be a good price, but you have to ask yourself, "Why are they selling it?"

Every year, there is a "police auction", and bicycles are always sold. They are sold "as-is", and more often than not, the highest bid is outlandish for what the bike is actually worth! I saw one bicycle that I wouldn't pay $10 for, but it sold for almost $100....due to the name brand, not the condition of it!

It's a "Buyer Beware" world....especially when purchasing "sight-unseen"!

realmswalker
October 31, 2006, 01:36 PM
The reason I believe this is a legit deal is the fact that this person has 372 sales on this site and has a feedback of 100% positive. I can't imagine a seller would ruin that kind of rep with one sale for 3 or 400 dollars. There are also 7 or 8 close up pics and the unit looks very clean. It also comes with the original box, warranty and other items.

So let's just say it is a legit deal. What is the most i should bid up to before this doesn't become much of a deal? I read somewhere that one moderator got theirs for 375, and they sell new from 500 up.

If you enjoyed reading about "A little advice on a purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!