Another 1911 thread ...

PDA

auschip
October 31, 2006, 12:54 PM
So, as have many others, I recently decided my collection needed a 1911. After much shopping, reading of forums (the search function was helpful at least for the initial questions), and talking with my local shop, I believe I narrowed the field down to two:

S&W 1911SC (commander) & the Colt Lightweight Commander

The Colt is around $870 & the S&W is $725. Both are new.

I am leaning towards the S&W, but with no real rhyme or reason why. Other then the Pony on the side, what would I be giving up by purchasing the S&W? As far as I can tell, the are fundamentally the same, but since I am used to a G27 I may be missing some of the finer nuances of the 1911.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another 1911 thread ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XavierBreath
October 31, 2006, 01:08 PM
Are you a traditionalist? If so, the Colt is the way.

Are you an avant guard type? If so, the SW1911sc is a fine gun.

Neither is better, they are just different. The answer lies within yourself.

One thing I generally advise is if a person wants a Colt 1911, then they should get one from the outset. Nothing else will satisfy them until they feed that craving. They may not end up keeping the Colt, but the itch will be scratched sooner or later.

If you are already leaning towards the S&W, you will not be disappointed in it.

Ala Dan
October 31, 2006, 03:34 PM
I agree with my friend Xavier Breath, in saying that neither is better~!:uhoh:

Probably, in my locale at least the S&W would be much easier too come by.
For some unknown reason, we just don't see many new Colt's. I keep up
to date pretty much, reading here where this one or that one got a new
Colt; but that just isn't in the cards for us. I can get most S&W products
within three business days; dependent on what distributor has what. I
personally have sold two NIB S&W scandium weapons; and both of our
customers are completely satisfied with their purchase~!:cool: :D

Mulliga
October 31, 2006, 03:58 PM
Only really significant difference in Colt's favor is the extractor (that is, if you're a traditionalist). Both have firing pin safeties.

Between the two, the Smith will be stronger (Sc added to the frame), cheaper, and much better supported (some of the best customer service in the business).

Slvr Surfr
October 31, 2006, 05:52 PM
+1 on what XB said ! It doesnt get much simpler than that. I personally have the SW SC. You wont regret it.:evil:

auschip
November 1, 2006, 09:00 AM
Many thanks gents. I will post pictures after I make my purchase.

MICHAEL T
November 1, 2006, 02:16 PM
Go COLT !!!! be better in long run

clt46910
November 1, 2006, 05:46 PM
I have the S&W 1911Sc in commander size. The more I shoot it the more I like it. I use to have a few Colt Commander Lightweights as well. I would be happy with either. I do feel the Smith is the stronger of the two.

10-Ring
November 1, 2006, 11:23 PM
I prefer Colts, so I recommend them to anyone asking :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Another 1911 thread ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!