9 MM Choices need input

PDA

m13s
October 31, 2006, 07:54 PM
Hi,

I am looking to add to the collection with a 9mm high capacity. pistol will be for moderate target use and defensive work. The 9mm is one of the few calibers missing from my 'collection' and I would like to add to it. As of now I have .38/.38+P/.357/.40/.22./45/ and want to add the 9mm. Pistols are placed them in order of preference. Looking for any and all feedback from owners/shooters that may have one or several of these models. (did not choose glock as I have owned a few and they just are not for me. Not a knock on glock at all as my brother is a LEO and loves his.)

1. HK P30
2. Jerico 941
3. Sig P226
4. CZ75 Sig P226
5. Tanfoglio T95

I am leaning towards the HK, with a toss up with the Sig and Jerico. The CZ and Tanfoglo look to be based on the CZ design and are in the back due to no knowledge of either pistol.

What say you experts?

Thanks,

Mike.

If you enjoyed reading about "9 MM Choices need input" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1 old 0311
October 31, 2006, 07:56 PM
Go with the CZ. It is probably the only pistol made that damn near everyone, who has shot one, loves. Do a search.

kevin387
October 31, 2006, 08:02 PM
I'd vote for the Sig.

conkmwc
October 31, 2006, 08:03 PM
Easy one. CZ. Best ergos of the bunch in my humble opinion. Mine has 4,000 rounds through it with just one spring replacement. Damn fine weapon.

Skywarp
October 31, 2006, 08:08 PM
Sig, God said to use it in the bible.

Chupacabra
October 31, 2006, 08:11 PM
What?! No Browning Hi-Power?! :mad:

:D

Well, the CZ75 is Hi-Powerish. A very solid and reliable platform. I'd get the CZ.

Although...Sigs are really nice too. :uhoh:

Ala Dan
October 31, 2006, 08:18 PM
SIG, but make mine a P228 cuz its perfectly balanced~!:cool: :D

10-Ring
October 31, 2006, 08:28 PM
9mm, for range & SD? HK all the way! :D

I'd go w/ the P2000 ;)

ugaarguy
October 31, 2006, 08:45 PM
Do you want SA, DA/SA, DAO? Also, which fits your hand best http://www.corneredcat.com/FirstGun/TryOnGun.htm ? You've got a good short list, and I would add the Browning/FN Hi-Power, Springfield XD-9, a 9mm 1911 to the list of possibilities. Any of them will easily do the job from an accuracy/reliability standpoint, and there are proponents of all of them here on THR. The pistol that fits you best will help with accuracy and make the gun more pleasant to shoot. None of us have your hands, so you need to take a trip to the gunstore and handle them all to see what works for you.

mosttoyswins
November 1, 2006, 12:07 AM
CZ if you are on a budget.

Sig P226 if you can spend a little more.

Desertscout
November 1, 2006, 01:37 AM
I guess I don't get to vote. You've already dismissed the very best one of the bunch. If I can't vote for Glock, I can't, in good conscience, vote at all.:)

daysleeprx
November 1, 2006, 02:30 AM
Is the HK P30 even out yet?

Levan9X19
November 1, 2006, 03:38 AM
why you are not considering to buy Glock?

gudel
November 1, 2006, 03:45 AM
with all that in your list, stick with the HK. it's far superior.

Autolycus
November 1, 2006, 04:13 AM
The P30 is currently not out. However it will be soon once the ATF approves of it for import. Check out www.hkpro.com for more information.

I would get a P2000 myself. I love HKs.

Though the Sig I was looking at tonight was a sweet gun.

kengrubb
November 1, 2006, 04:43 AM
Looking for any and all feedback from owners/shooters that may have one or several of these models ... Sig P226
I have a P226 and I like it. However, I carry a Glock 'cause that's what works for me. Ultimately your decision to buy, own and carry any gun should be in large part based upon what works for you. Vasque, Salomon and Technica all make excellent hiking boots, but how they fit you and work for you is what counts. Technica might fit me great, but suck for you. The exact opposite might hold for Vasque. Now, with that outta the way.

I'm not partial to DA/SA triggers. I've seen very skilled and disciplined shooters with SIGs consistently throw away that first shot. I do not buy the "it's a training issue" argument. If I were to start carrying my SIG, I'd ship it to SIGARMS and have 'em do a DAK (DAO trigger) conversion. If buying new, get the P226R DAK.
http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=89

Nematocyst
November 1, 2006, 04:51 AM
Which ever one fits your hand best.
{said the Kahr K9 owner}.

Eightball
November 1, 2006, 05:19 AM
If you like the CZ feel, but want something a little different, my vote is the Jericho. I'm thinking of getting one myself....my only debate is, buy it before or after a 1911 :banghead: ?

It's a sexy looking gun, and I've heard it's reliable/accurate to boot. I just had a thread a while back about possibly buying one, lots of good replies for the "pro" reasons to buy.

Besides, it's just spiffy.

m13s
November 1, 2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks for all the input it is a big help. To answer a couple of questions that were asked about the glock, it comes down to grip. I had a glock 22 in a .40 and put 3-4000 rounds through it, but could never adjust to the grip. The weapon was great, no problems with anything at all, my grip with it just did not have the proper feel. It's replacement? a P99 in .40, worked right away.
This goes with several of the above posts about which fits your hand better. Not a knock on the Glock at all, just not for me.

My preference is to lean toward German/American hardware, that has a pedigree of military/LE. This I always feels improves the breed over time.
Hence my closet has the following: 686S&W Stainless, Walther PPK .380, WaltherP99 .40, Colt 1911 .45 gold cup stainless, S&W 242 .38 airlite, and the ruger .22 stainless mark IV.

With HK's products that are battle tested, it is hard for me to not keep that at the top of the list, same goes for the sig. Not much on the Jerico, is this a more obscure piece?

Also In a previous post there was talk about the sig with a DAK mechansim, can you go into further detail and also explain about sig shooters thorwing away the first shot?

armoredman
November 1, 2006, 08:40 AM
CZ. Best handgun out there yet.
BTW, The Jericho and Tanfoglio are the same gun, same manufacturer. They are indeed CZ clones.

JDGray
November 1, 2006, 09:13 AM
I'll jump on the CZ bandwagon:D Best gun I own, and I, like you, had no previous knowledge of the gun, and went on peoples overwhelming recommondations. Love my CZ:D

antsi
November 1, 2006, 09:51 AM
CZ and SIG owner here.

CZ's are about the best dollar-for-dollar value in semiautos out there. The SIG offers some advantages in my opinion - better trigger, better sights - but these are only marginal advantages over an already very fine pistol and are also more a matter of opinion than absolute fact.

Consider looking for an older 226, used, with the rolled carbon steel slide instead of the machined stainless slide. You would save some money, and many shooters prefer the lighter weight and more neutral balance of these older 226's (or 228's).

DogBonz
November 1, 2006, 09:52 AM
for the SIG 226. If you were going to carry it, I'd go for the SIG 229.

m13s
November 1, 2006, 10:47 AM
yes after more research, the Jericho and Tanfoglio are indeed copies of the CZ. After more research on the jericho it is growing on me. HK P30 Not ready for Import yet so it looks like I have it between the Sig 226 and Jericho.

CrackerJim
November 1, 2006, 11:18 AM
I purchased a remanufactured Sig 226 last year. Like it a lot. I like it's function and accuracy. It fit's my hand so I've settled on it for my full size pistol.

Good luck,

Jim

m13s
November 1, 2006, 11:27 AM
Well Here are my options:

I have local in great condition for both a HK USP 9mm, and a sig 226.

The HK is in 95% condition with night sights and extra mags- $675
The Sig is the 4.5" barrel with 3 mags -$550

Jericho on gun broker, NIB, with the 9mm and .41 barrels and mags.
I figure $900-950 will take it. Looks like the HK is the front runner at this point. jericho is big coin.

Bazooka Joe71
November 1, 2006, 11:48 AM
Well, it looks like you've made your decision, so my vote is worthless...But I'd get the CZ:)

outofbattery
November 1, 2006, 11:57 AM
I'd go with the 226.Actually,already have - twice.They're my favorite 9mm,like em even more than my BHP.

offthepaper
November 1, 2006, 12:29 PM
Picked up a used (well taken care of) CZ-75B last weekend. Put a set of Houge rubber grips on it and headed to the range. I was impressed with it's accuracy and feel. I originaly wanted a new compact model but setteled for the used full size since the deal was right and the hoops one is made to jump through when ordering new handguns in Md. The used handguns don't have the same "hoops" to deal with, as do the new ones. At any rate, I have only praise for the CZ's. They rock! :D

SeanSw
November 1, 2006, 12:58 PM
Jericho 941. C'mon man. All the cool kids are doin' it. :D

spankaveli
November 1, 2006, 01:06 PM
I love my G34...

Cliff47
November 1, 2006, 03:55 PM
If you prefer a SA design, then go for the BHP. For a DA version of the BHP, look at the CZ 75B (85B if a southpaw). For the price you pay for a SIG, you could get two CZs (and extra mags, holster and ammo). Just my opinion.

hso
November 1, 2006, 04:13 PM
Since the TZ and Jericho are based on the CZ you can't go wrong with any of them from a collecting standpoint.

I will second the amazement of the absence of a Browning Hi Power which is, if not the first the first practical large capacity 9mm semi, a primary historical weapon.

atblis
November 1, 2006, 04:17 PM
I think 4 something is more the norm. THe 41AE barrel is pretty much worthless.

CZ is you're on a budget.
CZ if you're not on a budget.

bb21
November 1, 2006, 04:19 PM
I have a Baby Eagle that I love, however it is much harder to find holsters for it so the CZ is a great way to go. Someone else said it but CZ has a lot of owners and you will have a very difficult time hearing something bad about them. For the money CZ! Good luck and be safe! I almost forgot you should check out the FNP-9 it is similar to the BHP and looks to be a great value.

1KPerDay
November 1, 2006, 04:24 PM
Get the one that fits you.

I love my P226.

Shawn 357
November 1, 2006, 05:01 PM
I am picking up my CZ 75 in a couple days so I think you can tell what my opinion is:)

zachsm
November 1, 2006, 07:00 PM
CZ's are great, but there is so much more out there now. I personally like the Baby Eagle (jericho) over the CZ myself

LOOK AT THESE FIRST.

some of these pistols are overlooked. As far as manufacturing goes, i perfer the quality, and some even have an artistic touch to them. Sarsilmaz beats cz at their own game

http://www.sarsilmaz.com/images/urunler/kilinc2000_ata.jpg

one of my favorites ive held

http://www.sarsilmaz.com/images/urunler/kilinc2000.jpg

http://www.sarsilmaz.com/images/urunler/kilinc2000_beyaz_gr.jpg

http://www.sarsilmaz.com/eng/urun_alt.php?id=70

The cost is equivalent to a CZ, maybe a little bit more since they have to be imported over here.

...and of course the baby eagle

http://www.magnumresearch.com/products/BE_Full_Brushed-Chrome_t.jpg

Black Snowman
November 1, 2006, 07:05 PM
I love my CZs and you've got every option under the sun in 9mm from them. Surely something they make will fit your tastes assuming they fit your hand. Most people I know love the feel of the CZs. I've tried a ton of other guns but keep coming back.

I like the option of C&L so all of mine are of the "origional" DA/SA type. No SAO because they're harder to find used. People don't often give those up. :) If you like decockers and DAO those are available too.

I'm a .40 guy but I'm still sorely tempted by the new stainless 75B. Hit their site (http://www.czusa.com/) and take a look around.

Levan9X19
November 2, 2006, 03:34 AM
I have Jericho FBL, and it is very good handgun but it has few thing you might not like, trigger is too heavy, grip is not very comfortable and I used to make my own version of Hogue wrap around grip and use some sandpaper to remove plastic on magazine plate for more suitable grip. but no doubt Jericho is very good for low money. it is also very acurate out of the box.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1795/jericho2zj8.th.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jericho2zj8.jpg)

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6591/reductionwj1.th.jpg (http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reductionwj1.jpg)

Levan9X19
November 2, 2006, 03:36 AM
all steel full size Jerichos are too heavy to carry.....

270Win
November 2, 2006, 05:01 AM
CZ!

taurus owner
November 2, 2006, 05:06 AM
I would say to get the pk because it looks good and is a good little gun for self defence and is not as heavy as other firearms.

CTMB590A1
November 2, 2006, 10:30 AM
Get the one that fits your hand the best...for me it so happened to be a
CPO SIG 226 in 9mm. Since I am in New England, I first looked to either SIG or S&W since both manufacturers have training academy's near by.

What made me buy a SIG?.....SIGARMS Academy. I am about 4 hours away from the academy and knew I would be taking classes there. You don't need a SIG to train there but it sure is nice if yours breaks during a training class! Plus all guns are on loan should you take a class without your own firearm. They offer an armors course and a tour of the manufacturing process as well.

I also have a snubby S&W revolver (340PD).....hope to take their snub nose specific class in the Spring of 2007.

If the GLOCK factory/academy was near buy I would look there first.
Best of luck!

philbo
November 2, 2006, 11:03 AM
+1 on the CZ. Sig & HK are great guns, but like the Glock, I've always found the grips to be a little large for my hands. Shot great, but just didn't feel right/comfortable doing it. Actually prefer the XD9 to the CZ though ;)

Marshall
November 2, 2006, 11:28 AM
The Sig.

Or, a Hi-Power.

crazydog
November 2, 2006, 11:52 AM
if not I'll get the Sig 226.

robertbank
November 2, 2006, 12:03 PM
While I suspect down your way the CZ sells for less the Tanfoglio line up (EAA Witness to you folks), the latter has some features you may like. If buying the Tanfoglio 9MM gun you can get a .40cal upper for it. The .45acp version opens upeven more possibilities.

Take Care

Bob

Lonestar
November 2, 2006, 12:10 PM
guess I don't get to vote. You've already dismissed the very best one of the bunch. If I can't vote for Glock, I can't, in good conscience, vote at all.

Another non-voter (4 glocks in my collection). I can see your reasoning, you either love them or hate them. :D :cuss:

My vote CZ if you want the most "bang" for your bucks, HK if you like to spend money.

kungfuhippie
November 2, 2006, 12:12 PM
First off;
Star Modelo B, it's like a 1911 on a diet. I love mine.

Browning HP I have to vote for this too. We all know that a supreme being appeared to him in a vision with the designs for the 1911 and the HiPower - The first successful staggered magazine autoloader because that's how Supreme Being wanted it!

And remember the if it's good enough for Saddam it's good enough for you.

But his is gold plated, I want one, just not a gold one. Saddam's HiPower now lives in the White House. Prez. Bush gave it a good home.
http://www.mullings.com/iraq-02-29-04.htm

Flopsy
November 2, 2006, 03:45 PM
Can that CZ be carried chambered without cocked and locked? I suppose so if it has the DA trigger, but if I want to carry chambered and uncocked, am I going to have to do a manual thumb decock or is there one with a decocking safety? I'm distinguishing this from the decocker model. To simplify, my question is: can the CZ be carried chambered, safety on and uncocked WITHOUT doing a manual thumb decock?

Bazooka Joe71
November 2, 2006, 03:49 PM
If its uncocked, the safety can't be on.

If you enjoyed reading about "9 MM Choices need input" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!