Bore sighter for handguns?

PDA

Brad686
October 31, 2006, 09:41 PM
I was looking through a magazine and found one of those Bushnell bore sighting tools, the laser that sticks in the barrel and are mainly used for sighting in scopes. I think it retailed for about $40. I was just thinking if it would be practical to use for a handgun with open sights, or anything with open sights for that matter. I have scopes that could use sighting so it wouldn't be a total waste if I bought it but you never know.

The thought of sighting in my weapons with no ammo used really appeals to me ;) But that's sometimes half the fun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bore sighter for handguns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chutchis
November 1, 2006, 07:55 PM
I've always heard that most of those laser bore sighters are only good for getting you on paper then it's up to you to get the firearm zeroed.

You don't have to have a laser bore sighter to get on paper the first time. Take out your bolt in your rifle(s) and stick an orange dot on paper about 50 yards out and then look through your bore and line up your bore with the dot. After your bore is lined up with the dot just adjust your scope reticle to line up on the dot and you should be ready to zero the rifle with a few adjustments and shots.

Brad686
November 1, 2006, 10:44 PM
Thanks!

22-rimfire
November 2, 2006, 11:37 AM
I used a laser bore sighter on a Ruger SRH in 480. When I first got it and was trying to adjust the 2x scope, I was having problems. First the scope worked loose and it took a number of outings to get it solid. Then, I wanted to sight in the gun and not adjust for my physical tendancies when shooting ,so the laser bore sighter worked ok for this task and it convinced me that the gun was shooting just fine and any big groups or missing the target was my fault. Any yes, it was primarily to convince me that I should be hitting the target at the begining; purely psychological. But it did help reduce the number of shots to sight the scope in finally. You see, I could only reliably shoot perhaps 20 rounds before I started flinching badly. So I had to make the most of what I was shooting. Cost of ammo was not the issue, it was ME.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bore sighter for handguns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!