Do web-surfing gun owners have the better hardware?

PDA

Monkeyleg
May 18, 2003, 06:49 PM
This thought occured to me while examining the "stats" for a gunshop's website that I've been working on. It seems like more visitors are using high-speed connections than dialup modems.

That got me to wondering about web-surfing gunowners in general.

Do you have the fastest connection and the latest 'puter, or are you still stuck in 1998 mode?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do web-surfing gun owners have the better hardware?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kaylee
May 18, 2003, 06:58 PM
started out pretty high-tech and owning black plastic... over time I've cared less and less about the former and my taste in firearms has gotten progressively more old fashioned. At this rate, I figure I'll be looking for a nice CCW atl-atl by the time I'm 35. :)

-K

Hkmp5sd
May 18, 2003, 07:01 PM
I have the latest/greatest/fastest/bestest PC, but not because of my interest in firearms. It's for games. First-person shooters!

bedlamite
May 18, 2003, 07:03 PM
Neither, and both. Athalon XP with 512DDR, In home Network (great for games), and a dialup connection with Windows 98, 'cause I wont give Bill Gates or Time Warner another plug nickel, and I refuse to pay 5 times as much for DSL. As for guns, I've been known to use Blackhawks for Cowboy Action :p

CB900F
May 18, 2003, 07:06 PM
Monkeyleg;

Personally, I think computers in general & programmers in particular are still stuck in the stone age. Computer professionals using the term 'user friendly' should be involuntarily subjected to a frontal lobotomy. Or boiled in oil, their choice.

High-speed internet access has not arrived yet. Companies oversubscribing services should have the marketing/sales departments sold to the descendants of Dr. Mengele, or into darkest New Guinea, for obvious reasons.

I don't really mind upgrades, but I insist that the upgrades should also be improvements. Geez, what a concept!

Actually the hardware is at least acceptable these days. Not good mind you. The software is still waiting for somebody, probably an advanced alien culture that takes pity on us, to get it up and running properly.

Yes, I read science fiction. Do I write it? You tell me.
This poll oughta get kicked off with some bombast, now shouldn't it?
900F

Greg L
May 18, 2003, 07:41 PM
Neither.

Neither one is state of the art (but perhaps may have been one or two generations ago (generation span being 9 months for computers, 5-10 years for weapons)) however both platforms are functional and get the job done as needed.

Would I like better? Certainly, however that fine line has to be drawn between bigger and better toys and keeping a roof over and food in the stomachs of the kids :rolleyes: . Unfortunately being a semi-responsible adult wins out most times :( :D

Greg

Ed Brunner
May 18, 2003, 07:47 PM
I have old fashioned guns and a not-yet-but-maybe-soon obsolete puker. I bought most of the guns but built the puker. It is an 800 Athlon on a DSL hookup and it surfs real good for this old man. Not into games. Maybe in my next phase.

P95Carry
May 18, 2003, 07:55 PM
Can't vote - cos the poll does not suit my status.

I am hi-tech in as much as I am a systems engineer ... and work on puter a lot. However, my current machine is a lowly PIII 800 running 2k and 98 ...... but crammed with stuff .. a very good reason to avoid an upgrade, when in essence - it all does what i require anyways.

Connection is still steam driven dial up .... tedious but ... useful for ''measuring'' my assessment of web pages I build, re their download times.

I will probably go broad band soon - but still retaining dial up..

The guns? Many C&R's but otherwise totally up to date .... so a fairly wide spead. But then, I am a 58 yr old ole fart!

Standing Wolf
May 18, 2003, 09:31 PM
The D.S.L. box for my neighborhood happens to be in my back yard; unfortunately, it's not available yet, so I'm still contending with Earth Link's @#$%^&! slow modem speed and unreliability.

Recon By Fire
May 18, 2003, 09:41 PM
Pentium 4 2.26 Ghz
512 PC 2100 Ram
G-Force 4 Ti-4200 128 Meg
80 gig disc
Audigy Sound Card

Cal Poly's OC-48 Connection allows me to load pages just fine

Computer Kicks butt, yet the guns don't. Being a college student, I really dont have entra cash for a gun. When i graduate, it will be one of the first things that I get. Alas, only 1,461 days and counting..................

hehe

michiganfan
May 18, 2003, 09:44 PM
Pretty lucky. Have had high speed for at least three years.

Ala Dan
May 18, 2003, 09:59 PM
Ho-Ho-Ho

High tech with weapons and computer's!:uhoh: :)

Only if I knew how to use them?:rolleyes: :(

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

JeFF D
May 18, 2003, 11:22 PM
Well I got a 2.53ghz pentium 4 with high speed. But I like my guns with wood and blued steel.

TexasVet
May 18, 2003, 11:39 PM
Theonly way to get highspeed out here in the Piney Woods is via sat uplink, and I ain't paying that much for a basically entertainment option.

jmbg29
May 19, 2003, 12:12 AM
Weaponry: I am reasonably conversant with nearly all forms; at least enough to make do.

'puters: 950 mhz Duron + cable modem + 17" monitor = stone age. Oh well.

Tamara
May 19, 2003, 01:19 AM
I'm typing this on a 2.2 GHz P4 over a Wi-Fi home network through a cable modem. There's a custom 1911 on my hip. I can't tell if this is "high-tech" or not. :confused:

sm
May 19, 2003, 01:29 AM
Heck if I know. Still learning...probably always will.

Using a Thinkpad with dial-up at home. I have a 1911 on my desk, a Keltec P-11 on my hip, and I cleaned for a friend a model 36 sitting on the kitchen bar.

At school I use ( re-phrase) I'm around, learning about the whiz bang high-tech stuff...I figure 6 months and IT will be old school.

I think the guns are easier, and they darn sure last longer than pc's...

cratz2
May 19, 2003, 02:26 AM
P4 2.8 GHz, 1,536 MB RAM, 4x80GB + 1x60 GB hard drives, DVD Burner, ATI 9700 in the box and a GeForce 4600 in the drawer. And about 1,815 KBPs downstream - just tested it. And I got Comcast cable the very day it was available in my area. I bugged them for about 7 months. Now I have Insight DSL. :eek:

How about this... how many folks on this forum have any operating system other than Windows or MacOS on their computer at home? Mandrake 9.1 anyone? :p

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
May 19, 2003, 02:27 AM
I'm on my system on the home network right now; only an 850 Duron with 512mb of ram, but I built the mate an AMD 2.6Ghz with 1Gb of memory a little while back to replace her 'old' system. Uses a cable modem. I tend to run Linux myself, but she insists on Win98 for her graphics programs. I work with the latest state of the art IBM big iron at work as a troubleshooter for it (obligatory shooting reference). I always seem to be around high-speed low drag stuff, be it medical, computing, or firepower.

Regards,
Rabbit.

It is quite normal for the same persons to be found bearing arms and tilling the soil. - Aristotle, Politics, Bk.IV, c.334-23 B.C.

WonderNine
May 19, 2003, 02:58 AM
I have the same system for almost three years now, an AMD 700Mhz overclocked to 908Mhz with 512MB's of cas2 SDRAM. It's plenty fast for most of the activities I use it for including the ocassional game of Day of Defeat (Half Life mod). I'm thinking of upgrading my bios and getting an AthlonXP 2400+ (2000Mhz processor) for $90 just to upgrade my speed a little.

I wouldn't go back to dial-up for free. And believe me I have the option of doing so. On dial-up I'm lucky to see sustained download speeds of 3KB/s while on the cable service I've used for the past three years I've seen downloads of over 5MB/s. I have a modem in my computer, but only for faxes. At $29.95/month it's a great deal IMO. All the time you waste waiting for webpages to download ect. is not worth saving pennies on a dial-up connection, not to mention tieing up the phone line. I don't even pay for a phone line anymore just a cell phone. Actually if I wanted dial-up again and payed for it, it would actually be more expensive than my cable modem.

I would definately say that gun owners who browse the net are definately better informed than the average. The internet is a wealth of information and will help you in making a better decision on guns and accessories. When was the last time you saw somebody walking into a gunshop asking about Milt Sparks IWB holsters or gunbroker.com? :D

WhoKnowsWho
May 19, 2003, 09:52 AM
I have a fast computer, 1.8 Gig Athlon, Ge force Ti-4200 and such, but no fast Internet connection. We have the three computers here networked, but there are no options for DSL. And cable is still too expensive to get the whole package.

Anyways, most of my money has been going to guns lately. No blackpowder yet though...

lee n. field
May 19, 2003, 10:11 AM
My various pcs at any give time tend to be 3-5 years behind the time, hardware wise because I'm cheap. Software wise, Winders is 2k (which works best of all the various versions and doesn't have an "interface by Mattell" look). Linux boxen are kept absolutely up to date via the magic of apt-get.

Connection is a lan connected dialup because I'm sole support for a family of 7, and cheap.

Tools-that-go-bang range from recent Europlastic to wheelguns to bolt action Enfields with a design with roots in the 1890s.

AJ Dual
May 19, 2003, 10:17 AM
Since I have broadband at home and own some polymer framed pistols and an AR among other things, I guess I qualify as High Speed, High tech.

But one minor criticism. You really should have added a third category to your poll.

High tech, except for the crappy old computer, because I'm allways broke from buying guns. :D

Whenever I get fed up with my little e-Machines Celeron 400 with 96MB of ram and Win 98, I think of the guns that I might not have been able to buy, if I did have something better, and I feel better.

TechBrute
May 19, 2003, 10:20 AM
I think more people are using high speed connections in general. I would probably bet that the THR freaks are less likely to have a cable modem because there's a gun show coming up this weekend and they'll need the money.:D

BenW
May 19, 2003, 10:55 AM
However, my current machine is a lowly PIII 800 running 2k and 98 ...... but crammed with stuff .. a very good reason to avoid an upgrade, when in essence - it all does what i require anyways.

Nothing wrong with that. For the last year or two faster processors haven't necessarily given leaps and bounds in speed jumps for most software. I think the whole "18 month" thing is losing it's validity. Most of my computer time at work involves GIS and remote sensing, which are pretty processor intensive. At work I run a Win2K dual 966 P3 with a gig of ram and an Oxygen video card. It's still "faster" than the 2gig P4 I just bought for someone else in the office when running the same kinds of programs. I'm in no hurry to replace it.

At home I run one system identical to my office system and also a Linux system, Athalon 1.7, 1 gig of ram. Home network on a cable modem. There's a 1911 in the desk drawer and stuff from black powder to Glocks in the rest of the house, so I guess I don't fit in the poll. :)

Gewehr98
May 19, 2003, 11:06 AM
At home, it's a dual-cpu PII-450 IBM Intellistation, with Roadrunner cable model.

Deployed, it's a Compaq Presario AMD K6-3 550 on a dialup into my Roadrunner account. Still fast enough for browsing and emails. Pictures of pretty guns come up awfully darned slow... :(

Betty
May 19, 2003, 11:11 AM
Do revolver people use roll-on deoderants and semi-auto people use solids? Do shotgun people use sprays?

:scrutiny:

I think this one's OT.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do web-surfing gun owners have the better hardware?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!