Ti 1911 grips?

PDA

Slimjim
October 31, 2006, 10:56 PM
Does anyone, or any company make titanium 1911 grips? I was thinking it would be nice to have a set, and with the ease of anodizing titanium, i thought we would have seen these by now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ti 1911 grips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JoeHatley
November 1, 2006, 11:00 AM
I haven't seen any titanium grips, but if you can live with just a bit more weight, www.alumagrips.com has some nice units. Or you can have your AlumaGrips customized through www.gungrips.net

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/alumagrips_r.jpg

Joe

Hawk
November 1, 2006, 12:57 PM
If you're thinking of "rainbowing" the things, I'd be hesitant - the anodizing process on aluminum and titanium differ considerably. I believe titanium (interference) colors are derived by refraction variations through a very thin layer of titanium oxide. I don't know how this would work on a grip surface.

I believe the Kershaw / Ken Onion rainbow leek is not actually anodized ti but coated stainless.

If I had to have grips like that, I'd probably post on Ken Onion's forum and / or bladeforums - the knife scale people seem to have had some practice in the area. Knife scales would require similar "wearability" to grip panels, I would guess.

Rats! Now you've got me thinking of Devon Thomas damascus grips, maybe with Caspian parts - guess it's time to start buying lotto tickets.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ti 1911 grips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!