Lagard Combo lock Vs. S&G?

PDA

BFIBri
November 1, 2006, 02:27 AM
I'm in the market for a new RSC and while during my search I noticed (in most part) that "gun safe" manufactors use S&G combo locks while actual safe manufactors use LaGard combo locks?

Is one better than the other... please enlighten me on the differences.

Thanks
Bri

If you enjoyed reading about "Lagard Combo lock Vs. S&G?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Librarian
November 1, 2006, 05:13 AM
If you choose a digital lock, we strongly recommend that you select a UL Type I, Commercial Grade lock from LaGard, Sargent & Greenleaf, or Kaba Mas. Commercial-grade locks, such as the S&G Comptronic™ 6120 or LaGard "SafeGard" are much more robust and are designed to be used 20 times a day or more in retail and banking environments. A good commercial digital keypad lock should give 10 years or more of continuous use before replacement is required. With any digital lock, however, you should replace the battery at least once a year. Normally this can be done without professional assistance.see this link (http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html#locks).

a1abdj
November 1, 2006, 11:29 AM
Overall, both locks are very similar. They both share the same "universal footprint" so that locks from one manufacturer can be used to replace locks from another manufacturer without modifying the safe.

As in all other products, there are various grades of locks, and gunsafes typically use the lower end models.

There are also some products only available through certain companies. S&G offers biometric locks, and Lagard doesn't. Lagard offers their "redundant" lock which uses both a mechanical operation in addition to electronic operation, and S&G doesn't have anything simliar.

The locks that you see on new safes aren't always there because they are the best lock for the job. In many cases they are there because a certain company's sales rep has arrived first, or offered a better deal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lagard Combo lock Vs. S&G?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!