223 - Necked Up - 30 Cal?

PDA

jjohnson
November 1, 2006, 09:11 AM
Oh, sure.

I KNOW there's gotta be somebody out there who's looked at this more than once... anybody actually tried necking up their surplus M16 brass to 30 caliber? I know, the info on TCU cartridges advise that splits occur even going to 6.5 and 7mm, but hey, IF that were overcome, seems to me the little case could be a potent small game round within limited range, way better than a 30 carbine, way quieter than, say, a 30-30.

Anybody got any advice based on practical experience? I know this can't possibly be a new idea, was just wondering if the splitting was such a big problem that you really can't go there..... or whatever.

Thanks as always for your sage advice. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "223 - Necked Up - 30 Cal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highlander 5
November 1, 2006, 09:31 AM
it's been done but I can't give exact data can't find my Cartridges of the World to check.
If your are planning on doing this why not go to the
300 Whisper by J.D. Jones based on the 221 fireball caseit appears to be a very efficent cartridge and if 221 brass can't be found you can make it from 223 brass.
Of course you could always go on the net type in 30/223 and see what happens

Jim Watson
November 1, 2006, 09:51 AM
I recall an old Gun Digest article about what the author called the .30 Apache that was just a .30-.223. The owner shot Metallic Silhouette and said he had no problems knocking the steel down. Funny looking little thing with hardly any shoulder but it was said to headspace ok.

Jet22
November 1, 2006, 09:56 AM
There was a 30 TCU but Thompson never chambered it that I know of. The 300-221 (300 Whisper) is a great round and may be what you are looking for. It will drive a 125 grain bullet over 2000fps and will drive a 200 grain bullet over 1400!! For varmits, 110 grain hollow points can run as high as 2200. The neat thing is any (most) gun chambered for the 223 can handle the 300-221. Dies are avalible and barrels for Ar-15's are common at gun shows. Thompson Center has it listed avalible from the TC Custom Shop and at one time it was a standard caliber in the TC line. JD Jones (the father of this round) will make you a barrel for just about any rifle and has complete guns avalible for it.

Forming brass is two step but is easy. Use must use virgin 221 brass, not once fired. Use lots of lube. The first pass takes it to 7mm and the second takes it to 30. Fireform and you are done. I only lose about 1% due to splits and its probably cause I am in too much of a hurry.

The 30-223 round would be great too, but would be too long to work in 223 actions because of the loaded length with 30 cal bullets. The 300-221 comes out the same loaded length as the 223.:cool:

dfaugh
November 1, 2006, 10:01 AM
Check over on the wildcats section of http://www.accuratereloadingforums.com

Seems like someone over there has tried just about every possible combination of bullet/case. I'm sure someone has tried it before.

I always wannted to try shortening and taking out the case taper, and shooting an 8mm pill. sort of a modern day 8mm "Kurtz".

Max Velocity
November 1, 2006, 01:50 PM
Here it is: 30 Apache/.30-223 (http://ammoguide.com/?catid=473)

If you enjoyed reading about "223 - Necked Up - 30 Cal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!