Best method to clean cases fired with black powder?

PDA

Steve499
November 2, 2006, 10:36 AM
What's the best way you have found to clean your fired cases of the black powder residue before reloading them? I have done them one.......by........one........ and found that method less than desirable.

Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Best method to clean cases fired with black powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gewehr98
November 2, 2006, 10:53 AM
There's a good one started over in the handloading forum. It's what I use to clean my fired black powder .45-70 brass. ;)

sundance44s
November 2, 2006, 11:08 AM
Aw the nasty black powder cases cleaning .. I`ve tried alot of different things ...here`s what i came up with for mine that works well ... while they are still capped i fill a gal. jug with dish soap water and add a dash or two of vinigar to it . I soak mine a few days in this to loosen up the crud around the primmer on the inside ...then i rinse them off let air dry a day then toss them in my tumbler with corn media ..about 6 hrs in the tumbler and they look as good as new . I`ve tried decaping before the soaking ..but its better to soak first to loosen up the crud on the inside around the primmer . As of now i `m just loading 45 colt and 45/70 brass .works well on both.

4fingermick
November 7, 2006, 05:43 AM
I'm about to start shooting BP and was thinking of getting a tub of cleaning liquid (water/soap/vinegar whatever) and keep it on my guncart, drop the cases in as I go. Sound reasonable?

Cap n Ball
November 7, 2006, 11:25 AM
I do it the same way as Sundance except I use crushed up pecan hulls along with a handfull of corn media in the tumbler. Works pretty good and we got tons of pecans here in Missouri at this time of year. You can get a sack of the stuff for free from most growers and it lasts a long time.

ocharry
November 13, 2006, 02:23 PM
hi guys,, i have been shooting BPCG for a looong time and after i get home from a match,,,, i just put the cases in a jug with some dish soap and hot water,,, shake them around for a min. or two,,,, pour out the dirty water put in some hot clean water for a rinse,, and then to the tumbler,,,, and the absolute best stuff i have found for this is the ceramic media,,, it never wears out,, so it's a one time buy,,and in 45 min. the cases look new and they are clean inside and out,,, AND the primer pockets too,,, i will never go back to any other media,,,, you will need a wet tumbler for this,,, but you will like the out come,,,, there are several places to get it ,,, cabelas has it in kit form.....;) YMMV just a helpful tip

ocharry:D

Starter52
November 13, 2006, 03:39 PM
I fill a jug with hot soapy water, shake 'em around a bit, rinse with clean hot water, and set them on a bath towel to dry. Next day, into the tumbler with the rest of my brass.

dmay
November 15, 2006, 12:19 PM
Vinegar and water, I find, gives the brass an interesting "antique" color....if you don't tumble it all off.
But beware of smell..blackpowder residue and vinegar is evil....don't open jug in kitchen...wives hate it.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Best method to clean cases fired with black powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!