My Kimber

PDA

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
November 2, 2006, 06:40 PM
Does any one know if Kimber sells just the slides, my custome II got dropped and eged the front where the botton is to take it apart the gun will function but will not come apart. At any rate I dont plan on shooting till it gets fixed. Thank you. I called Kimber they are closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Kimber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunNut
November 2, 2006, 07:35 PM
my custome II got dropped and eged the front where the botton is to take it apart the gun will function but will not come apart.

Ok, I know that you are upset, but please take a moment to translate that.

I couldn't imagine that dropping your Kimber, could do much damage.\

What ground surface did you drop it on? and from how high?

Steve

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
November 2, 2006, 08:20 PM
Sorry egged, anyhow I didnt drop it Im a little more carefull than that, but it hit muzzle firts against a piece of cast iron I wouldnt think that it would have done more than a scratch but it egged it just enough to not be able to get the weapon apart and push the botton in just a hair. Dropped from about 5'

Kruzr
November 2, 2006, 08:40 PM
It's hard to believe it bent the slide out of round. Are you sure it's not just the recoil plug edge that got bent?

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
November 2, 2006, 11:28 PM
if it was just the recoil pug I would still be able to take it apart, and yes the slide bent its pretty obviouse when looking at. I still cant believe that was birthday present too.:fire:

Kruzr
November 3, 2006, 12:09 AM
Sorry but I guess I'm still confused. The front of the slide being out of round shouldn't have anything to do with being able to get it off the frame. It might make it hard to get the barrel out but if you can take the slide stop out, the slide should come off the frame.

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
November 3, 2006, 03:06 AM
I got it of the frame but mine has anextened slide stop so I cant get the barrell out the slide stop or the spring i think the gun would stil function but i dont want to risk damaging it more so I was going to replace the slide as soon as I can get the rest of it apart, and i dont think this would be covered under the warranty even though the gun is only 2 months old.

asknight
November 3, 2006, 04:18 AM
If the slide is bent, there's no way it's going to cycle....

You say it got dropped, but then you said you didn't drop it. :scrutiny:

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
November 3, 2006, 10:39 AM
It would be hard to demand that the person replace my Kimber, since it was my wife and she feels bad enough already. the slide stop runs through the botton so the gun will function I just cant get the barrel out any how, Im off to call Kimber:confused:

tegemu
November 3, 2006, 10:47 AM
What is "Egged?" To me it is throwing eggs at something, what does it mean in relation to guns?

Crawlin
November 3, 2006, 11:08 AM
Can you take a picture so we can all get on the same page?

Kruzr
November 3, 2006, 02:08 PM
I got it of the frame but mine has anextened slide stop so I cant get the barrell out the slide stop or the spring i think the gun would stil function but i dont want to risk damaging it more so I was going to replace the slide as soon as I can get the rest of it apart, and i dont think this would be covered under the warranty even though the gun is only 2 months old.
A picture would certainly be helpful here. If you got the slide off the frame, then you had to have taken the slide stop out. How can the slide stop be stuck in the barrel link?

Are you sure you are using the right terminology? (You don't mean a full length guide rod rather than an extended slide stop do you??)

Slvr Surfr
November 4, 2006, 07:38 AM
:what:

XavierBreath
November 4, 2006, 10:19 AM
You cannot simply replace the slide. It must be fitted.

I, too, have a problem understanding how the slide could be deformed from a 5 foot drop, regardless of what it hit on the way down. There just is not enough impact force, it seems, to deform forged steel. That would be very unusual. There may, however, be enough force to bend a MIM slide stop, or some other part. If that is the case a competent gunsmith can fix your gun with no trip to Kimber, and probably in very little time.

However, Kimber fixes their products under warranty, and from what I understand, are pretty prompt about it. Regardless of the problem, they will probably want to inspect the gun instead of just send parts.

I agree with Kruzr, make sure you are using the correct nomenclature. There is no way we can help diagnose the problem if you are using the wrong nomenclature. This should help.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47302&stc=1&d=1162653846

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
November 4, 2006, 10:49 AM
Regardless of weather or not there is enough impact force and all the ephysics in the world, it happened, and the gun is broken. Any how I will try to explain the best I can I ran out of memory cards for the camera.

In the diagram its the part of the slide were GG sits in place that part of the slide is bent out of roundness. causing GG to not be able to com out of the slide once the barrel bushing has been moved.

So the button that the area of the slide were the botton is that the guide rod slides through when you pull the slideback. That area of slide is no longer round it bent in one side the circle on the slide. ( thats the fron part of the slide right under the barrel) so Im talking about the area of slide were the botton is that you have to push down to move the barrel bushing. that area of the slide were botton sits is bent out of roundness and the botton wont come out.

Sorry thats the best I can do, I have to go to work today i will see my wife will pick up some memory sticks, Last night at work the gunsmith told the slide is shot and will have to be replaced probbaly with an after market.

Zach S
November 4, 2006, 01:52 PM
If you can get the barrel bushing out of the way, try racking the slide. Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, because if the spring pressure does push the spring plug out, it will do so with a considerable amout of force.

Dont be too hard on your wife, things could have been a lot worse, especially if she caught it.

If it got bent that easily, it shouldnt be too hard to straighten it.

hso
November 4, 2006, 02:13 PM
Do you have a good gunsmith locally that you can take it to? He may be able to help and at the very least will be able to tell you what to tell Kimber so they can send a service order number to attach to your shipment.

1911Tuner
November 4, 2006, 02:38 PM
Okay...The front edge of the dust cover is bent, and has the recoil spring plug in a bind. It's probably not beyond repair, but will probably destroy the spring plug during the disassembly. Does the pistol have a full-length guide rod?

Kruzr
November 4, 2006, 08:46 PM
Tuner, he has the slide off. It can't be the dust cover. It sounds like it's the bottom front of the slide. The front of the spring tunnel.........but I'm still not sure. I'm assuming it's the slide just to the right of the HH in the diagram.

XavierBreath
November 4, 2006, 08:59 PM
Tuner is the expert here, but I see the potential to bend it back if the dent is not to great. The slide's rearward travel is stopped by the slide's bottom portion impacting the frame. Making certain structural integrity is maintained is crucial.

FWIW, from your previous description, I was envisioning a slide bent and bowed out around the slide stop area.

For clarification, is the bent area the area I've circled below?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47351&stc=1&d=1162691965

1911Tuner
November 4, 2006, 09:06 PM
Kruz...my bad. Meant the spring tunnel. XavierBreath nailed it.

Kruzr
November 4, 2006, 11:42 PM
On a Kimber, the plug can come out through the back also. The problem now is the FLGR. Cutting wheel anyone? ;)

BIGDADDY, I'd suggest you give Dennis at Kimber a call and explain what happened. It might cost you for a new slide but who knows.......it might not.
(914) 964-0771 Ext: 228

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
November 5, 2006, 02:03 AM
thats exactly were it is bent or dented, it does have a full length guide rod my second job is at a gunstore/ gun range/ gunsmith shop/ the owner is a master gunsmith from what I have been told but there is another gunsmith aswell one says replace the slide, the owner says it is fixable so im going to my primary job this week and leaving the firearm with the owner/master gunsmith.

but thats exactly were it is bent were you circled it even that side you circled.

Krutz
thanks I will call.

distra
November 5, 2006, 08:12 AM
I've been following this thread and would like to know if 1911tuner has seen this before? Is this something Kimber's are more susceptible to or just an unlucky impact? It seems to me like that must have been a pretty hard hit to deform the guide rod hole.

1911Tuner
November 5, 2006, 08:30 AM
Distra...Saw it once or twice. No FLGR made it easy to come apart, and...unlike the Kimber...the plug wouldn't come out the rear. Had to drive it
out through the front, and expand the deformed area with round stock lathe-turned on a slight taper. Looked a little funky, but was returned to function.
Cleaned it up a little with a smooth file, and when the refinisher got through, it took a good eye to detect that it had ever happened.

No. Kimbers aren't any more susceptible than any other. It's a fairly thin cross-section, and the pistol weighs 38-39 ounces empty. Dropped on an angle against a hard surface can deform it enough to tie it up.

Wesker
November 5, 2006, 10:39 AM
Another testament to the 100 year old design of the 1911!! WOO HOO!

1911Tuner
November 5, 2006, 11:54 AM
Wesker. This topic was started by a member asking for help and/or advice on how to correct a problem. If you can't contribute anything constructive to the discussion, please refrain from hijacking someone else's thread. If you want to knock a design, start a thread, and we can argue about it 'til John Browning's ghost comes 'round.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
November 6, 2006, 02:21 AM
Hey guys thanks for your help i let you know what happens to it to see if it gets repaired/replaced. This really sucks.

Wesker
I own a Glock and an XD and besides bad mags this is the first problems I have ever had with my Kimber 1911, If you live in WA around the Seattle area when i get my gun back i invite you to go shoot with me sometime.
Heck you might just learn somthin, or mite even buy a 1911:)

daysleeprx
November 6, 2006, 03:23 PM
Another testament to the 100 year old design of the 1911!! WOO HOO!

:rolleyes:

I know Tuner already addressed your post, but seriously...contribute something worthwhile or don't contribute at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Kimber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!