How to...denickle?

PDA

Longbow
May 19, 2003, 02:07 AM
I just bought an S&W revolver w/ a nickle finish at the show. The nickel finish is pretty bad (chipped) but the rifling is pretty good. I'm wondering is there an easy way to remove the nickel finish? I only paid $95 for it so I don't wanna spend more than what I paid for the gun. I want to use it as a plinking/trail/hiking/camping gun, in other words,..a beater!

If you enjoyed reading about "How to...denickle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
May 19, 2003, 02:58 AM
I beleive Brownell's sell a de-nickeling chemical.

http://www.brownells.com

Sunray
May 19, 2003, 04:31 AM
You should probably identify it first. Then talk to a metal refinisher.

Riss
May 19, 2003, 06:53 PM
try caswell plating. I know they have the stuff to do that. Also many other metal finishing chemicals. Place my order for some black oxide stuff tomorrow. www.caswellplating.com

Jim K
May 19, 2003, 08:50 PM
A metal plating shop can reverse the plating process. This is better than chemicals that can eat areas where you don't want them nibbling.

You will still have to polish the gun and reblue or re-plate. In about any case, the investment won't be worth it.

IMHO, for what you want, why bother? You aren't going to enter it in a beauty contest, so if it works, who cares what it looks like?

Jim

Longbow
May 20, 2003, 04:10 AM
Yeah, you're right. I'll just leave it as it is. Thanks to all!

If you enjoyed reading about "How to...denickle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!