A small victory tonight...

PDA

SteelyDan
May 19, 2003, 01:16 AM
My 19-year old daughter just finished her first year at college, and got home a few days ago. For years, she has had a standing invitation to go shooting with me, but on those rare occasions when I reminded her, she looked at me like I had vomit on my chin. (I checked; there wasn't.) Anyway, tonight at dinner she announced that she wanted to take me up on the offer! Mom wasn't exactly thrilled, but daughter stuck to her guns. So, I'm not getting my hopes up (well, maybe a little), but it sure would be fun if she enjoys it.

If you enjoyed reading about "A small victory tonight..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
May 19, 2003, 04:45 AM
Not to rain on your parade, but you might want to ask her what brought on the sudden change. Perhaps something happen at school that made her suddenly aware of her own mortality.

WonderNine
May 19, 2003, 04:58 AM
I don't know about the mortality bit, she probably just decided it might be fun. :D

Waitone
May 19, 2003, 10:51 AM
Yea, I had the same kind of "outta the blue" discussion with my daughter.

There is a reason. She may not want to tell you because she doesn't want to add to your worries.

My advice is to take her and have a good time. Don't push but do give her an opening to volunteer if she wants.

TechBrute
May 19, 2003, 10:57 AM
19 years worth of reason and wisdom may have just sunk in?

Standing Wolf
May 19, 2003, 05:37 PM
1. Good for her!

2. Good for you for being patient!

StLGlocker
May 19, 2003, 06:04 PM
Waitone is on the money. Something happened that made her stop and think. Not necessarily to her, might just be something she heard about from friends on campus. Most likely a situation that could have turned ugly, and she's run a few "what if" scenarios through her mind, evaluated her own vulnerability, and didn't like the conclusion she came to.

Let us know if she has fun at the range.
:)

blades67
May 19, 2003, 07:30 PM
Good luck and have fun!:cool:

SteelyDan
May 19, 2003, 10:56 PM
Actually, I asked her, and she said she talked about it with her boyfriend. I don't think he owns any guns, but he's been hunting a few times. Anyway, he encouraged her to keep an open mind and give it a try. Which is what I had said all along, but I guess it meant more coming from him.

George Hill
May 19, 2003, 11:01 PM
Have fun with this.

Let her shoot a .22 auto pistol and get warmed up...
Make a little challenge and encourage her with a little coaching... and quickly she will get hooked.

For Christmas you will be shopping for a nice Springfield XD for her! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "A small victory tonight..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!