Which 1911s?

PDA

10-Ring
November 3, 2006, 12:55 AM
I love my gov't model & I'm pretty sure I'm gonna really enjoy my commander sized model too. But now I'm wondering, is there any (good) reason to have one of each size of 1911?
I know w/ my govt & commander I can use the same mags & I like the full size grip but what is the appeal of the officer's model...other than size?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which 1911s?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SilverState
November 3, 2006, 01:01 AM
Officer is better for ccw.

Commander allows easier carry than govt. without losing capacity and without compromising your grip.

Government is best b/c it is the most reliable, the way John Browning designed it.

For me, if it is top quality, I will get a commander. If not, I get government for the reliability. I don't own an officer b/c I can ccw the commander just fine and I don't want to risk reliability issues.

10-Ring
November 3, 2006, 01:06 AM
As far as my commander sized pistol goes, I picked up a DW Classic Bobtail and really really...no...REALLY like it! :D

SilverState
November 3, 2006, 01:17 AM
Looks kinda like this?

http://sincitypitbulls.freeservers.com/Kobral.JPG

cheaptrick
November 3, 2006, 05:50 AM
What a beauty, SilverState!!
Outstanding!!

Ala Dan
November 3, 2006, 08:10 AM
Greeting's 10-Ring My Friend-

I own several 5" 1911's, and a 3" Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II; but nothing
in the way of a commander length. Guess I need to pick up one, uh?:uhoh: :D

possum
November 3, 2006, 10:17 AM
silver state,
I like I like!:) that's a beaut, sometimes the simple is the most beautiful. I hope it shoots as good as it looks!

BrainOnSigs
November 3, 2006, 10:22 AM
Nice Brown SilverState! The reverse 2 tone is sweet.

I prefer the Government size:

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/6449842/84051143.jpg

Geno
November 3, 2006, 10:23 AM
I had the 5", 4" and 3". That was a pretty picture to open the vault and see them side-by-side. Somewhat like opening a family album and seeing your children. :D

Doc2005

Chuck R.
November 3, 2006, 10:41 AM
I split the difference with my Baer Stinger, Commander slide, and an Officerís frame. To me itís the best of both worlds, reliability is great and it shoots as well as my 5Ē Baer.

To me, the slide is the easiest to conceal; itís the grip that gets you.

Chuck

Crawlin
November 3, 2006, 11:14 AM
I have a 5" Kimber, but a friend is about to buy a 4" this weekend. I'll let you know how it shoots and carries (he doesn't know it yet but I am going to steal it for a few days to see how it carries...)

Dr. Dickie
November 3, 2006, 11:25 AM
One of each?
No, no, no. At least TWO of each, now you are talking.;)

Cocked & Locked
November 3, 2006, 11:38 AM
I like'em all...Govt Models and Commanders! Never had any of the shorter ones though. :confused:

I'm carrying this "experienced" Combat Commander today. It's in a Bearclaw IWB Kydex holster stuck inside my Carhartts.
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/9381895/201525471.jpg

SilverState
November 3, 2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys! A lot of thought went into the decision to go with the two-tone and the commander-sized bobtail. First, I noticed that the blue on the frame and the blue on the slides do not always look the same as time goes on. Not from holster wear, just that the blue seems to have a different color tone for some reason. So if it is going to look different anyway, I might as well go with a two-tone. Plus, I don't like the idea of carrying a gun (CCW) with a shiney slide. When you hold it in your hand at night, the frame is covered up by your hand and all you have exposed is the slide. For that reason, I like a dark slide for a ccw weapon. As for the commander slide, when you carry it IWB and you are sitting down, the government size sometimes causes the gun to rise and it a little less comfortable than a commander. The bobtail helps to reduce printing when carrying IWB with light clothing. I agree that government is better for reliability, but it's a Brown, so that has not been an issue. Anyway, that's my reasoning for why this gun fits MY NEEDS, not that it is right for everyone else's needs.

BTW Brain,

That is a sweet looking Baer. One of these days I am gonna sell off my Trojan and S&W 1911PD to get a Baer. The commander-sized Thunder Ranch Special in hard chrome looks real nice, I just will have to get over the shiney slide...

If you enjoyed reading about "Which 1911s?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!