Sig P220

PDA

usmcski
November 3, 2006, 05:12 PM
Whats everyones opinions on these? I have the oppertunity to pick one up in a trade and dont have any experience with Sigs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P220" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stephen A. Camp
November 3, 2006, 05:29 PM
Hello. Though I've pretty well cast my lot with the traditional single-action automatics, I decided to shoot this P-220 that I bought in '92 after seeing some surprisingly accurate shooting being done with one. I also wanted to compare how well it "worked" in more "practical" type shooting for me.

I already knew that this particular pistol would group better than I'm capable of holding and it's been tried with most factory JHP's as well as a number of handloads. The only thing I've found that this particular pistol will not reliably feed with over 5 in the magazine are 200-gr. CSWC's, a rather staple diet for my 1911's. With everything else that I've tried, feeding/extraction/ejection have been flawless.

Speaking only for myself, I still do favor the single-action autos, specifically the Hi Power in 9mm and the 1911-type in .45 ACP, but were I unable to tote a single-action by rule or departmental policy, I believe that in .45 ACP, the P-220 would be my choice.

I didn't have much time to do a lot of shooting with it today, but managed a few slow-fire groups using a rest @ 15 yards and some Failure to Stop drills were repeated on my hand-drawn "Gort" targets that I use for such. These were done from a low-ready, with the first shot being fired double-action. (In the 15 yard slow-fire, all shooting was single-action.)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/Ammunition/NewSIGSauerP220WinJHP15ydtarg1.jpg
My particular P-220 groups a bit better with Remington 230-gr. Golden Saber ammunition, but the Winchester RA45T feeds slickly and averages roughly 857 ft/sec from this gun and groups plenty good in my opinion for its intended purpose.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/Ammunition/NewSIGSauerP220FTS10ydtarget.jpg
For me, the P-220 was easy to handle starting each drill in double-action. A fellow had a PACT timer and the average for these starting from a low-ready was under 2 secs for the three shots in each drill.

Though I still prefer the single-actions, possibly due to 30 years of using them, I greatly respect the SIG-Sauer P-220.

It is my understanding that newer versions of this pistol are now available, but I have no experience with them. I might have to change that, but for now this basic P-220 serves well.

If interested, here are some more observations and personal opinions on the P-220:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Single-Action%20Vs.%20Double-Action%20Automatics.htm

Best.

ravencon
November 3, 2006, 06:37 PM
The Sig 220 is one of my favorites. Accurate and reliable.

For me, this is a "go to" gun rather than a CCW. With a mounted tactical light and tritium sights it is a comforting bedside companion.

P95Carry
November 3, 2006, 06:57 PM
I choose for carry my 226 - and even the 228 will serve too.

I do rate the 220 as well and that is also potential carry but I guess I have long had the ''capacity'' habit! So it stays in its HD role mostly.

Great gun to shoot IMO.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/sig-220-ct-306-s.jpg

Skywarp
November 3, 2006, 07:03 PM
It's a Sig aside from the internal extractor it's just like all the other sigs . wonderfull

usmcski
November 3, 2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the info!!!!
Whats a used one with about 700 through the pipe worth?got night sights.. Rated about an 8/9 out of 10

P95Carry
November 3, 2006, 07:54 PM
I do recall seeing one at Gander Mtn for about $450 a few months ago - about that condition but no idea of ammo thruput on it. Not sure either whether that had night sights or not. Probably not actually and might have been quite ''high mileage''.

I'd not be surprised to see a good one up around $550. So perhaps ball park could be #500, plus or minus. Area makes difference too sometimes.

usmcski
November 3, 2006, 08:03 PM
Is there anything in particular to look out for when picking up a pre-owned Sig like this?
You say its worth about $500-$550.... but how easy would it be to resell at this price?
Is there any way to tell date of manufacture?

P95Carry
November 3, 2006, 08:30 PM
I expect serial # could give some guide re manufacture date but I have no info books as I do for Smiths to really know. Someone may have that answer perhaps.

Resale value on private market is IMO pretty good - compared with trading in. Not going to give figures but if you paid to get a good deal and moved it on - I doubt you'd need to lose too much at all.

Condition? Well - if you were allowed to field strip then I'd check barrel and slide areas where lock up mating occurs - make sure no chips etc. Slide in a 700 round gun should still be pretty tight and slop free. Check extractor (internal on this gun) and make sure hook is not chipped. A pencil test on FP if you allowed to, to ensure pin reach is OK and no breakage. Trigger evaluation is pretty obvious - try it! ;) Decocker should be easy to operate, slide lock lever also easy to engage and reliable. Mag release properly functional - test with empty mag - crisp firm hold and easy release.

Chances are with a ''young'' SIG - it should be sweet and ready to go. If it has suffered cosmetically from carry - I doubt any major risk of internal issues.

usmcski
November 3, 2006, 09:36 PM
One last question...can they handle reloaded ammo? I know Glocks arent suposed to be fed led reloads...can sigs?

klover
November 3, 2006, 09:37 PM
Wish I still had mine.:(
Very accurate, full size auto, and reliable.

P95Carry
November 3, 2006, 09:44 PM
can they handle reloaded ammo? I am thinking here lead bullets, as either gun can handle safe reloads with jacketed bullets.

Should be no problem - rifling is ''conventional'' land and groove - loads kept well within spec' and with bullets of suitable profile for feeding reliability, and medium hardness.

The Glock lead bullet problem is that of a polygonal rifling - and it can be bad news with lead bullets.

Stephen A. Camp
November 3, 2006, 09:44 PM
Hello. I've shot literally tubs of reloaded ammunition, both jacketed and cast, through my P220. The only style that mine is reliably unreliable with is CSWC's. It absolutely will not feed them with more than five in the magazine. With all manner of FMJ ball, flat-point, JHP, CFP or CRN, no problems at all.

Best.

kevin387
November 3, 2006, 11:16 PM
It's the one I keep beside the bed. That is a pretty strong endorsment. Mine is also adorned with laser grips, night sights and a sure fire beside it.

varoadking
November 3, 2006, 11:35 PM
I have one of the new P220R Carry DAK's. I think it"s terrific...

TonyT
November 4, 2006, 11:16 AM
I have a 220 sport. Very accurate and relaible but the barrel fouls quickly and is a pain in the neck to clean. It'ss apparently unique to Sig 45 ACP barrels. This is in contrast to 45 ACP barrels by Colt, Para Ordnance, Dan Wesson, Springfield Armory, Smith & Wesson and Pardini which clean up with a few strokes of the bronze brush.

Ala Dan
November 4, 2006, 11:27 AM
The only thing I can add, is that MY '95 model P220A in .45 ACP is my
all-time favorite among the DA/SA .45's on the market~!;) Mine has been
totally RELIABLE, and very accurate with all types of ammunition. :cool: :D

jon_in_wv
November 4, 2006, 11:38 AM
In my Opinion it the the best box stock .45 you can buy. It is reliable and super accurate and fits my hand really well. If I could only have one handgun, the P220 would be it. Just my opinion though.

usp_fan
November 6, 2006, 01:37 PM
As far as pricing goes, $450 for a used 220 in the condition your looking at is a good price. You will find 220's for as low as $350 but they are usually beat. Often the price hovers around the $475 mark, but the non railed models are not being made anymore and many SIG lovers find the non-railed 220's to be desirable.

--usp_fan

kymarkh
November 6, 2006, 01:52 PM
The P220 is one of the classic .45 auto handguns - and is right up there with the 1911 in terms of ergonomics. Very light weight for a full size pistol firing a full size cartridge. I've had one of the older West German P220's for years and it has held up very well. You just can't go wrong with a P220 that has been well cared for, and a price between 450 and 550 is not out of line.

My 2 cents.

teombe
November 6, 2006, 03:50 PM
I was out shooting my GSR this weekend, and decided to rent an old P220 just for kicks- this one was a franken-gun with the old style rowel hammer frame, low 100K serial number, and what appeared to be a newer stainless slide (unmarked on right side). This thing felt every bit as natural as my P225, and I shot it every bit as accurately as any 1911 I've fired.

I'm sold. The 220 will be my next Sig.

rbernie
November 6, 2006, 03:52 PM
I've got three P220s (SNs 178XXX, 278XXX, and 3XXXXX), and I'm in the process of getting a fourth. I like 'em OK, it would seem. :)

usmcski
November 6, 2006, 03:59 PM
Dang...after hearing all the positive posts on here I got a little exctied about getting one....unfortunately the other party involved in the trade decided to back out!!!:mad:

44AMP
November 6, 2006, 04:00 PM
I got one of these back in 1980. It is the early model Sig 220, with the heel type mag release, imported with Browning and Sig's name on it. Accurate, eats everything. Handles loads hotter and loads lighter than my 1911s will. The DA pull slicked up alot afer a few hundred rounds. Alloy frame, light gun. Good sights, overall one of my favorites.

The only place I ever felt it was less than stellar was playing games. The heel type mag release did put me a couple of seconds slower to reload than the Colt types. Even though Sig changed the mag release to the "American" type, I never needed to get another one. Mine is still doing just fine. If I feel the need to carry, it is nearly always the Browning/Sig. If I needed another, I wouldn't hesitate a bit.

pablo45
November 6, 2006, 06:40 PM
The sig p220 is probably the closest you can find to a 1911 feel without the beaver tail which i do not like. They are excellent in every way especially the accuracy and the single action trigger. I have owned 2 and i love them.

High Planes Drifter
November 6, 2006, 08:12 PM
As an owner I will say as others have said....eerily accurate, death and taxes reliable. A bit too chunky for carry, but its an outstanding house gun or car/truck pistol. Get one if you can!

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P220" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!