I already own an M1A, why should I buy a Garand?

PDA

epijunkie67
November 3, 2006, 07:11 PM
I already own an M1A. Nice full sized one in mint condition. Accurate, low recoil (to me), good looking, and in .308 which is a proven caliber with great bullet selection.

So why get an M1 Garand? What's the point?

(Just thought I'd start a little trouble on a friday night ;) )

If you enjoyed reading about "I already own an M1A, why should I buy a Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mr White
November 3, 2006, 07:37 PM
Because you want to be cooler than you can be with an M1A.
Because an M1A doesn't go ping.
Because any moron can kill a BG with 20 shots but it takes someone truly badass to do it in 8.
Because, Who wants a handguard that is made of fiberglass?
Because watching Band of Brothers while fondling your M1A is just wrong!
Because the guys running any sanctioned John C. Garand match would kick your a$$ if you showed up with an M1A.
Because a Garand doesn't have an evil detachable magazine or a flash hider. (oh wait, that's a reason not to own a Garand)
Because You'd look pretty damn silly at a Battle of the Bulge reenactment carrying an M1A.
Because no matter how you slice it, .30-06 still beats .308.
Because unlike your M1A, the Garand you buy may have actually seen battle at Normandy or Iwo Jima, or Bastogne, or Luzon, or Okinawa.
Because General George Patton didn't call the M1A "The greatest battle implement ever devised."
Because the CMP won't ship an M1A to you door.

DawgFvr
November 3, 2006, 07:38 PM
There are a couple of ol' night guards at my workplace...both were in the Korean War and took part in the M14 changeover from the M1 Garand during their tours. All I can say is that they both preferred the M1 to the M14. Personally, I have never fired a M1A...and probably never will...do you know why? I have a M1 Garand (read: spoiled)...why should I step down to a M1A?

nbkky71
November 3, 2006, 07:57 PM
Aside from being great rifles, you're owning a piece of history.

I own 4 M1 rifles with serial numbers ranging from the early 5-digit to the late 5.9 million range, and am working on Garand #5 as a match gun. One of my shooting buddies brought over a receiver he scored at the CMP with the serial number in the 18,000 range.

If only those rifle could talk... I'm sure they'd have a lot more to say than a commercial M1A.

(and yes... I do have an M1A and love it just as much as my M1's)

vta33
November 3, 2006, 08:07 PM
Those two night guards must've been in peacetime Korea because the M14 wasn't selected by the Army until 1957. The war ended on July 27, 1953.

I served in the 1st Battle Group, 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div in Korea, 1962 - 1963. During that year my infantry company was issued M14s and we took an immediate liking to that rifle. Maybe one of these days I'll cough up the dough and buy one.

Jack19
November 3, 2006, 08:10 PM
ARRGGHH....

Thanks Mr. White for putting my angst into print so well. I too have been bitten by the Garand bug and have been seriously thinking about selling my AR, and all it's attachments, and mags to do so.

dasmi
November 3, 2006, 08:11 PM
History.

EvisceratorSrB
November 3, 2006, 08:15 PM
The Ping?

Vern Humphrey
November 3, 2006, 08:26 PM
The Ping?

Ah, me lad, you've been truly deprived. You haven't lived until you've heard
Bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-Ping!

That's the sound a real battle rifle makes.:p

(Edited to remove one extra "bang.")

carpediem
November 3, 2006, 08:39 PM
Why? Because you can.

Mac Attack
November 3, 2006, 09:05 PM
Better buy yourself a CMP Garand because of the Democrats have their way the CMP Will cease to exist. :mad:

Bigfoot
November 3, 2006, 09:15 PM
I'm guessing someone wants you to buy a Garand, you're resisting and came here for moral support. Ok, don't do it.

BoySetsTheFire
November 3, 2006, 09:23 PM
Because I scored the last correct grade they had available. Now you can only get a service grade, field grade or rack grade. So buy one of those and hope that they come close to my correct grade. No they won't. Sorry. Shoulda bought one when you had the chance. (ha ha - just a little trouble on a Friday night)

Mr White
November 3, 2006, 10:02 PM
Jack19, Glad I could be of service. I just made your signature line my screensaver, so we're even.

epijunkie67
November 3, 2006, 10:05 PM
Bigfoot
"I'm guessing someone wants you to buy a Garand, you're resisting and came here for moral support. Ok, don't do it."

Nope. Just saw one in a magazine recently and got to thinking. I own a bunch of rifles in a wide selection of calibers. Even older military stuff like a K31, and a couple of mosins. But I don't own anything in 30-06 and to be honest I have to wonder if I need yet another caliber to keep up with. The flip side to this is 30-06 really is a versatile round, maybe even more than .308.

Bottom line is I don't really NEED a garand but it doesn't mean I won't BUY a garand.

BoySetsTheFire
Because I scored the last correct grade they had available. Now you can only get a service grade, field grade or rack grade. So buy one of those and hope that they come close to my correct grade.

Well, maybe I could buy one in less than perfect condition and refinish it into something nice looking. As long as everything works good and it's accurate I can clean and refinish everything else. Right?

Ash
November 3, 2006, 10:11 PM
Nothing incorrect about a Service Grade. It comes that way from the arsenal.

Ash

zinj
November 3, 2006, 10:53 PM
IIRC, the difference between correct and service grade is that all of the components of the correct grade come from the same manufacturer, while the service grades have some mixing and matching.

Dienekes
November 4, 2006, 02:04 AM
Because it's *the* American rifle. I came in at the tail end and learned the manual of arms with it in ROTC--and watched "Combat" on Friday nights afterwards, too. The M16 was the issue weapon in my war but that just underscored the notion that nothing was the same anymore.

My father carried one in the ETO. At his funeral we had military rites and the salute was fired with Garands.

I own "a few" and thoroughly enjoy shooting them, as does my son. I also have an M1A which is an excellent rifle. But the Garand *is* history.

Maybe it's time to build up another one...

ramis
November 4, 2006, 02:11 AM
Why? So you can send it to me. :D

ramis

Dr. Dickie
November 4, 2006, 05:38 AM
Like everyone else said:
The ping
The history
Becuse .30-'06 is a real man's cartridge
Because you CAN!
Just think, if every home had a Garand, do you think Hillary would be running for president?:evil:

G. Glock
November 4, 2006, 08:27 AM
I love the Garand for it's historical significance, but the two I've owned have not been as reliable as my M1-A. Feeding issues, problems with clips ejecting, and gas system working correctly. Just a bit finicky, in my opinion.

The things I've had problems with are the things that were improved or totally fixed in the upgrade to the M-14. I see the M1-A as just an improved M1 Garand.

That said, I'd never sell my vintage 1943 Garand. I shoot it once or twice a year and thoroughly enjoy the trip into history. If it doesn't function perfectly, so what; I'm not going to war with it.

BoySetsTheFire
November 4, 2006, 08:35 AM
Seriously: epijunkie67, yes the service grades are very good. They were unavailable and some just showed up. So you may want to grab one while they last. People have been really happy with them.

And the Garand is a real piece of American history. I really cherish mine. My father-in-law carried a Garand at Sai Pan, Taipei and Iwo jima. I only have one Garand, but will likely buy more. I am waiting for some collector grades to show up (wishful thinking).

lionking
November 4, 2006, 09:02 AM
hey now,the M14 does have history and is still making history.True that a commercial M1A is not of originality but its a good representative of it.

But why get a Garand?Why not if you can?For now,we Americans on the board are still relatively free to purchase what we want.

Really I like the answer of because because because!

Camp Pendelton(May 5 2006)

U.S Coast Guard port security man 1st class Dennis Carney of coastal warfare sector San Diego fires a M1 .

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/musicnut_2006/2%20mi%20pics/th_M1GarandSniper.jpg (http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/musicnut_2006/2%20mi%20pics/M1GarandSniper.jpg)
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/musicnut_2006/2%20mi%20pics/th_060505-N-1159B-012.jpg (http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/musicnut_2006/2%20mi%20pics/060505-N-1159B-012.jpg)

BoySetsTheFire
November 4, 2006, 09:38 AM
Yup, the M14 is one sweet rifle, based upon the Garand, of course. And John Garand did work on the transition from M1 to M14.

CornCod
November 4, 2006, 10:03 AM
From a purely combat oriented perspective, the M-14 is a better choice. However, if a guy has been shooting a Garand for twenty years, he is going to be better with it than an M-14 or one of its knock-offs.

Trumpet
November 4, 2006, 11:38 AM
Because you're an American.

AZ Jeff
November 4, 2006, 04:08 PM
I love the Garand for it's historical significance, but the two I've owned have not been as reliable as my M1-A. Feeding issues, problems with clips ejecting, and gas system working correctly. Just a bit finicky, in my opinion.
Your conclusions about the Garand being finicky are based on having fired 50+ year old rifles with uncertain maintenance histories.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no significant difference in reliability between an M14 and an M1 when the two are of equal overall condition and have seen the same level of maintenance.

Eightball
November 4, 2006, 04:18 PM
Because you're an American.THAT is the reason.

U.S.SFC_RET
November 4, 2006, 10:45 PM
Nothing beats the Garand. Shoot one at a public range and watch the old vets come up. I keep a spare bandoleer just for those folks. The M1 speaks with authority. Carries a ton of nostalgia. Wait until the CMP runs out and watch the prices jump and you'll wish you'd bought one then, so buy one now while the getting is good. They are selling service grades and they won't last.

SoCalShooter
November 4, 2006, 10:47 PM
1. because you want to find out what it is like to have a Garand thumb :neener:
2. you want to own a piece of history
3. because you can
4. because your an AmeriCAN
5. because 30-06 is the best rifle round EVA!!

migoi
November 4, 2006, 11:43 PM
just did the signature thing with the Fedex dude on Friday evening for my CMP, Springfield Armory, repatriated from Greece, service grade M1 Garand. Rifle to your door is such a cool concept.

I placed the order on September 29 and it apparently arrived just as they had run out. I resigned myself to a lengthy wait of possibly months. Then on Wednesday I received a confirmation email saying my rifle had been shipped overnight and I should receive it on Thursday.

This being Hawaii, I knew it would be here on Friday and sure enough at about 5pm the bell rang and there it was.

I looked at the CMP page when I got the email and they had the Greek repats listed... today they don't. They must have depleted the supply filling the backorders.

According to the serial number, mine was manufactured in February 1943.

Can't wait to get it to the range....

Why?... hold one and you will know why.

migoi

cracked butt
November 4, 2006, 11:50 PM
3. because you can
4. because your an AmeriCAN

Pretty much sums it up right there.:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "I already own an M1A, why should I buy a Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!