GLOCK MARINE SPRING CUPS

PDA

gaven
November 3, 2006, 11:38 PM
WILL REPLACING THE SPRING CUPS WITH MARINE SPRING CUPS IN A G19
ALLOW IT TO FIRE UNDERWATER WITHOUT DAMAGE TO THE WEAPON OR ME.
WITH THE APPROPRIATE AMMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "GLOCK MARINE SPRING CUPS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RyanM
November 4, 2006, 12:38 AM
Short answer, probably.

Divers who have used bangsticks in close quarters haven't been injured by the shockwaves which guns create underwater, even when firing them against a wall inside a cave, to kill fish via those very same shockwaves. There are also numerous videos of guns being fired underwater with no damage to either the gun or the firer (and, more often than not, no damage to the target either).

It's pretty pointless though. The bullets will only go about 10-15 feet before sinking straight down, and would only be able to inflict an injury for about the first 3 or 4 feet. Supposedly, the main utility is for firing while underwater, at a target that's above water, with the muzzle of the gun just barely below the surface. I find that very hard to believe, given the enormous amount of aiming error that would be introduced by refraction.

GunnySkox
November 4, 2006, 12:47 AM
gaven,

WHAT?! I! CAN'T! HEAR! YOU! I NEED YOU TO SPEAK UP!

~GnSx
"Capslock is cruise control for cool."

gaven
November 4, 2006, 12:54 AM
nice answer!

Broadhead
November 4, 2006, 12:59 AM
I have read that the point of the marine spring cups is to allow quick drainage of water out of this section of the pistol when it is in air after having been submerged.

Desertscout
November 4, 2006, 09:57 AM
The point of the spring cups is to minimize or prevent a hydraulic cushion from forming when the FP channel is full of water thus allowing the FP to travel freely. There are a dozen arguments about what, exactly, this feature is good for.
It doesn't really matter what the reason is, the fact is, it will NOT hurt your gun as long as ensure that all the air is OUT of the gun before you fire it UW. If the barrel has trapped air in it, it is possible that the quick compression of that air could cause a problem.
I have fired my G17 UW many times and have had NO problems at all. The spring cups that are in it are ones that I modified myself for that reason.

I will caution you that you MUST here hearing protection when firing UW and I would be reluctant to do it with anything any higher pressure than a 9mm. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a .45 UW but I don't think I would try a .40 or a .357 SIG.

symr00
November 4, 2006, 10:55 AM
I have read that the point of the marine spring cups is to allow quick drainage of water out of this section of the pistol when it is in air after having been submerged.

This is correct. The Marine cups weren't designed to allow the gun to fire underwater.

gaven
November 4, 2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks fellows, I dont plan on shooting it underwater but i would like to know that it was capable of doing so . You just never know , I have had weirder things happen that i never thought i would have to do.

Desertscout
November 4, 2006, 01:21 PM
I just found a pretty exhaustive explanation of this here: http://www.topglock.com/info/faq.htm It's down towards the bottom of the page

If you enjoyed reading about "GLOCK MARINE SPRING CUPS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!