Anyone who asked about the "Stinger" LMG

PDA

Dr.Rob
November 4, 2006, 03:19 PM
a really good explanation of the air crew 1919 air cooled SMG modified for infantry use is on "Shootout: Iwo Jima" on the History Channel.

1919 + M1 stock + BAR Bipod.

Pretty wicked, if odd-looking weapon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone who asked about the "Stinger" LMG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bigfoot
November 4, 2006, 04:22 PM
Man that was a good Shootout Iwo Jima episode. Leave it the Marines to adapt the aircraft mounted Browning .30 and use it as a SAW. It was later maunfactured as the 1919A6 http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/30cala6.htm

.45Guy
November 4, 2006, 04:25 PM
Yep, but the aircraft guns didn't have the rate reducer like the A6.

Ian
November 4, 2006, 07:37 PM
Actually, I believe the gun you guys are talking about was the ANM-2, not the M1919. They look similar, but don't interchange.

Dr.Rob
November 4, 2006, 09:37 PM
I've seen the A-6 before, the Stinger only sort of resembles it.

There was talk on the Flags of Our fathers threads that a prop house built one for the film and it was never used... well it showed up in this episode of shoot-out.

Bigfoot
November 4, 2006, 10:34 PM
I was under the impression that the AMN2 was just a lightened version of the M1919 and the faster rate of fire was a result of the lightened bolt. I've tried to find a pic of a Marine modified AMN2 but no luck so far. The stock and carrying handle was different than the A6 IIRC.

Langenator
November 5, 2006, 01:36 AM
IIRC, American Rifleman had an article on the Stinger about 3-4 months back...not sure exactly when, but I remember it.

Wes Janson
November 5, 2006, 05:59 AM
The Stinger is the ANM2 .30-cal. It's smaller, and a lighter weapon than the standard 1919.

Ian
November 5, 2006, 10:13 AM
Here's a photo of a standard ANM2 - you can see that it's not quite the same as a 1919.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~nfacol/ANM2/anm2OP4mtlt.JPG

When the Marine Raiders used them, they jerry-rigged a AR bipod and Garand buttstock to make them more practical for infantry use.

Slimjim
November 5, 2006, 01:56 PM
http://i13.tinypic.com/43r1bww.jpg

This is a replica stinger a guy built on the 1919 forums.

Trebor
November 6, 2006, 02:16 AM
"American Rifleman" had a good write up on the Stinger a few months ago. I believe Scott Duff wrote the article, IIRC.

The gun was an aircraft ANM2 "field modified" for ground use. The parent gun is NOT the same as the Browning 1919. It does bear a visual resesembalance though.

They made a prop gun for "Flags of Out Fathers" but those scenes did not make the final movie. It might show up in the DVD extras though.

Trebor
November 6, 2006, 02:18 AM
Slimjim,

How about a link to the discussion of that replica Stinger build? I'd like to read more about it. Did he use a Semi-only 1919 as the parent gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone who asked about the "Stinger" LMG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!