AR-15 type rifle. Need advice!

PDA

Nickodemus
November 4, 2006, 05:34 PM
I want to have a better carbine then my cheap 9mm and decided to go with an AR.
I have read enough to decide that I want an A3 with flattop upper, and full length dissapator if possible.

I do not know enough about them to decide if I should buy the gun outright, or put one together from quality parts kit.

I know I can get a new Bushmaster for $800 and may go that route.

I want to keep it small; I was thinking a 16" barrel. I want to accurize it - I need help with this, I don't know the "must have" parts, but hear a new gas block does a lot of good. In the end I want it to be a quality gun that is a good shooter, collector value isn't important to me. Emphasise is on compactness, precision, reliability. I probably won't shoot it past 100 yards. Please inform me.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 type rifle. Need advice!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MatthewVanitas
November 4, 2006, 05:45 PM
My input:

A3 16" mid-length Dissipator upper from CMMG $575

(rifle-length gas Dissys aren't as reliable, CAR-length gas has more recoil/wear)

Complete lower receiver from Stag (or equivalent) $170 or so. Or buy it separate from the upper (to avoid excise tax) from CMMG for $200 or so, if you want to match brands for resale value.

If solid stock, get a CavArms (CAA) A1-length stock, which Sportsmans Guide, Cabelas, etc. sometimes have on sale cheap, or buy a used one.

If collapsible stock, buy a CavArms collapsible stock, complete with all buffer system parts, for $69 on eBay or GunBroker. It's kind of a VLTOR wannabe, but gets really good reviews at half the price of VLTOR.

Then find any old detachable carry handle, maybe used on www.ar15.com Equipment Exchange.

I bought the Bushy Dissipator upper, w/ M4 profile barrel, for $515 or so (A1 sights), directly from BM. The extra $60-70 you pay for CMMG gets you a mid-length gas system and a 1:7" barrel (vs 1:9" for BM), so depends what your priorities are.

All the above will run you right around $800 when all is said and done. A bit cheaper if you buy a used fixed stock and buffer system, and a decent jot cheaper if you go Bushmaster upper and find a good deal on a Stag lower.

Oh, BTW, Dissipators rock.

-MV

Nickodemus
November 4, 2006, 06:01 PM
OK thanks for info, I need to narrow it down.

I don't want to get any used parts.

Should I get:

A3 16" mid-length Dissipator upper from CMMG $575
Complete lower receiver from Stag or CMMG for around $200
CavArms collapsible stock. around $69
cheap carry handle

or

Bushmaster Dissipator A3 16" for $898.99

I will want to shoot milsurp ammo so at that grain weight what twist rate barrel should I get?
For the end product, what is the better deal?

MatthewVanitas
November 4, 2006, 06:06 PM
What stock comes w/ the $900 Bushy?

Is it a no-ban rifle, or post ban? (Does it have flash suppressor?)

Does the $900 Bushy come with a detachable carrying handle, or is that extra?

Big question: what barrel is on it? If it's an HBAR barrel, you might find it pretty muzzle-heavy. That's why I ordered an M4-profile Dissipator barrel from BM when I bought mine, and it balances very well w/ the A1 stock.

My vague impression is that the advantage of the 1:7" comes in around the 70gr level, but that the 55gr old-school FMJ rounds stabilize fine in the 1:7 too. I presume you won't fire anything lighter than 55gr? But twist is not something I know a ton about, besides just the word on the street.

-MV

Nickodemus
November 4, 2006, 06:31 PM
To answer your questions I'll post the link of the one that I was looking at:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/BCWA3F16D.html

Should I pick an M4 model? What makes it "M4" compared to another 16".

MatthewVanitas
November 4, 2006, 07:33 PM
Good deal, the link helps.

"MSRP $1,200"? Heck of a suggestion. The current price is much more realistic. It's not an unreasonable price if that's the exact combination of features that you want, but otherwise you'll get a better deal if you put together the components of your choice.

I'll be it's an HBAR profile. Combined w/ the collapsible stock, I'd guess it's nose-heavy.

Should I pick an M4 model? What makes it "M4" compared to another 16".

M4 profile:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/Images/abbl-16dm4a.jpg

Stardard (heavy) profile:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/Images/abbl-16da.jpg

Here's a whole thread on the specific issue.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=167637&highlight=dissipator+weight

I believe CMMG offers MedCon (lighter than HBAR) or Gov't (lighter still, possibly slightly lighter than M4 profile) barrels on their Dissys.

-MV

Nickodemus
November 5, 2006, 12:17 PM
I did some more searching around. This one looks pretty sweet but the $1,885 price tag is too rich for my taste. Could I build the same thing myself for significantly less, or is this actually a good deal?

http://www.tacticalrifles.net/tactical_m4c.asp

If I had to choose one today to buy I would still go with that Bushy Dissapator for around $800-$900.

cheaptrick
November 5, 2006, 06:24 PM
I like the "Middy" recommendation.

I have a Bravo Co. 16" midlength version with a Sun Devil lower and couldn't be happier.

http://www.opticstalk.com/photoserver/images/photos/3407.jpg

MatthewVanitas
November 5, 2006, 06:31 PM
@ cheaptrick: mind if we ask what the whole rig (minus optic) set you back? That's pretty similar to the M4gery the original poster also liked.

-MV

cheaptrick
November 5, 2006, 06:49 PM
Roughly $1200 I'd say.

Nickodemus
November 6, 2006, 03:49 PM
That looks real nice.

So far I have about $500 in the AR fund. I am thinking I will probably spend about $900 before I am done and $1200 before I am happy. I really like the Bushmaster Dissipator AR, if I decide to not build one.

The A3 is out of stock:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/BCWA3F16D.html

They have the A2 for a little cheaper, but what is the difference:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/BCWA2F16D.html

Should I look elsewhere or wait for an A3? I will probably keep it how it is, but does it have an upper that would allow me to put on a red dot site? You said it could be front heavy, could a C-mag balance it out?

Ala Dan
November 6, 2006, 03:56 PM
Here is a pic of a post ban Colt M4A3 Match Target H-Bar Competition model,
pictured with a Bushnell HOLO-sight mounted atop a Calvary Arms mount;
mounted on to the detachable carry handle~!:cool: :D

Nickodemus
November 6, 2006, 05:38 PM
spectacular, looks expensive. I want the full sight radius of the dissapator.

MatthewVanitas
November 6, 2006, 07:17 PM
A lower is a lower (pretty much). Maybe give the stock trigger a try first, upgrade later if necessary?

If you're set on Dissiaptor length, just two great options that I'm aware of:

1) Bushmaster M4-profile Dissipator upper ($525 or so from BM)
2) CMMG mid-length-gas Dissipator-type upper ($575)

I'm just leery of HBAR Dissys; lots of folks here and on ARF say the HBAR Dissys are muzzle-heavy. My M4-profile is just right to balance an A1 stock, wouldn't want it any heavier.

-MV

stdlrf11
November 6, 2006, 07:30 PM
Look at Olympic Arms K3B. You can get one new for $695.
I have it and recommend it. I've shot Colt, Bushmaster and DPMS also. They are all great guns, but you can't beat Oly's price. They also have a lifetime warranty and GREAT customer service.

Edited to say:
As far as barrel twist, 1:9 is the universal twist. You can't go wrong with it.
Why do you want the full length dissapator? It will alter your sight radius.
If you don't know enough about them to know if you want to build or buy, you should BUY. If you know what you are doing, you can build them. If you don't you can waste a lot of time and money.

Hope this helps,
stdlrf11

Nickodemus
November 7, 2006, 11:05 PM
I want the Dissapator so I get the full rifle length sight radius, instead of a shorter one.

I'll have to check out those prices... thanks for the tip.

I am thinking I will buy one so that I can have the warrenty and shoot it sooner.

obm
November 8, 2006, 01:38 PM
I am thinking I will buy one so that I can have the warrenty and shoot it sooner.i recently ordered an oly(not dissapator model) and they quoted me 4-6 weeks for delivery...i'm on my 7th week...

Nickodemus
November 8, 2006, 02:45 PM
That is a long time. Did you check with that vendor to see if it was in stock first? I usually only wait for the shipping time to the FFL when I order them.

obm
November 9, 2006, 12:28 AM
yeah, the gun shop asked me if i wanted to order one after they checked on the delivery estimate. my first oly they quoted me 4-6 weeks and i got it in 3 weeks.

if i had zombies banging on my door i would have bought something off the rack, but i'm not in that much of a hurry to get my gun.

stdlrf11
November 9, 2006, 02:36 AM
Waiting to hold something I already paid for would KILL me!!! Especially seven weeks!!
That's why I only buy things I can touch then and there.
That's why I'm also stuck in the stone ages......:rolleyes:

stdlrf11

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 type rifle. Need advice!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!